Jetbeam
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1555585960616263646566 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 1955

Thread: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

  1. #1921

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    Haha that's awesome congrats!!! I can see you now... running towards the mail truck with arms waving and that crazed look in your eyes that says... "gimmie gimmie".
    The absence of comment on how simple the programming was didn't go unnoticed.

    ~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

  2. #1922
    wimmer21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kentucky... on a hill overlooking the Ohio River
    Posts
    3,715

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    LOL did I have trouble programming my 70? I don't even recall.... oh wait yes I do. I cried about being too stupid or something then someone explained it and now it's easy. Haha I really do like the programming set up for these lights! Sometimes I do it in public just to mess with people. When I'm finished I set down a brown paper bag then run away really fast. I need a partner to film the reactions!

  3. #1923
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    LOL did I have trouble programming my 70? I don't even recall.... oh wait yes I do. I cried about being too stupid or something then someone explained it and now it's easy. Haha I really do like the programming set up for these lights! Sometimes I do it in public just to mess with people. When I'm finished I set down a brown paper bag then run away really fast. I need a partner to film the reactions!
    HAHHA good one. And you're absolutely right, I literally ran at the mailman waving my arms for them to stop, no joke.

    I'm trying to check the voltage on my 35 using the 111 PIN, but all it's giving me is four flashes of the XPL. Does this mean that it is 75-100%? Wondering if the programming has changed, because if I recall correctly it should be flashing the red LED for the .1s.

  4. #1924
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    6,221

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    I believe that would indicate 4.0V ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

  5. #1925
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I believe that would indicate 4.0V ....
    Thanks for the response...I'm not an expert on batteries, but isn't IMR 18350 rated for 3.7 volts? If it's fresh off the charger, the voltage might be higher I guess.

  6. #1926
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    6,221

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    4.2V is full ....

    4.0V should be ~ 85% for that cell
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-17-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  7. #1927
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Thanks for the response...I'm not an expert on batteries, but isn't IMR 18350 rated for 3.7 volts? If it's fresh off the charger, the voltage might be higher I guess.
    3.7v is Nominal Voltage - silly but true. 4.2 off the charger is what we're looking for.
    Arch knows - he's a Moderator!
    P
    I know I bang on about Malkoff and Oveready, they are the only lights I use and I hope you won't critcise me for liking quality over quantity."Don't argue with Policemen or Lunatics, don't piss upwind and never crap on your own doorstep". Peter Yetman

  8. #1928
    wimmer21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kentucky... on a hill overlooking the Ohio River
    Posts
    3,715

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    So the post office IS open until noon on Saturdays. Boss 35 in hand and cells in the charger!

  9. #1929
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    YAY!, Will you be able to sleep?
    P
    I know I bang on about Malkoff and Oveready, they are the only lights I use and I hope you won't critcise me for liking quality over quantity."Don't argue with Policemen or Lunatics, don't piss upwind and never crap on your own doorstep". Peter Yetman

  10. #1930

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Does anyone have a pic of the red and amber version shining down to the floor from a standing height?
    Last edited by Illusionist; 03-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.

  11. #1931
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    4.2V is full ....

    4.0V should be ~ 85% for that cell
    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    3.7v is Nominal Voltage - silly but true. 4.2 off the charger is what we're looking for.
    Arch knows - he's a Moderator!
    P
    Thanks for the clarification!

  12. #1932

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Had a sexy photoshoot




    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

  13. #1933

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Really like that last one

  14. #1934
    wimmer21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kentucky... on a hill overlooking the Ohio River
    Posts
    3,715

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Had a sexy photoshoot




    I have a cat that can probably get that down for you. Might take about five days though.

  15. #1935
    Unenlightened Jonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    A Li-Ion cell fresh off the charger has 4.1V - 4.2V.
    Nominal voltage (printed on cell) is 3.7V.
    Absolute minimum when fully discharged is 2.5V.


    FYI
    Post #1203 by ElectronGuru:

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Here's a first draft...


    There are several points to consider in estimating the charge of a Li-Ion cell by voltage:


    • Discharge curves of Li-Ion cells vary with size, capacity, and chemistry
    • There are significant differences between fresh cells and worn cells


    • Applies when battery protection and stretch are on...
    • 111 PIN measures “floating voltage” per cell (no load applied)
    • 4.1v is full, 2.8v is completely empty
    • Voltage under load (mainly in high modes) is less than floating voltage
    • Output may decline when running high output modes at lower voltages


    • v5 light engine blinks out voltage by using 111 pin
    • Activate with three pulses with 1 second between (• • •)
    • Each white blink is 1v, each red/amber blink is 0.1V (••• ••••• is 3.5v)
    • 4.0v will be shown as: 4x white
    • 3.7v will be shown as: 3x white + 7x red/amber


    Study these graphs to estimate percentage remaining when checking the voltage of your cell. Both graphs applied to fresh AW IMR cells. These may be extrapolated to cells of similar performance.



  16. #1936
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    717

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Ive been playing with this light all weekend, and im extremely happy with the performance.

    is there a chart somewhere that shows how many amps are pulled from the cells on each level?

    Might have to pick up one of the brass special editions when they come out. Im glad theres several sub lumen levels to choose from, they come in handy at night.

  17. #1937
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    6,221

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    I think that the programming interface lists the wattage of each level in the menu ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

  18. #1938

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    The tricky part is that amperage changes as voltage changes, even with the same wattage.
    So with 10 of each v and w, for example, there would be 100 possible amperages.
    Control the Dark

    OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

  19. #1939
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Got my boss and it seems ok. Fun top program etc, and the bounceback feature to activate a 5th mode is a neat trick.

    Wish it had more than 4 modes anyways though.

    It's not as bright as my $60 convoy triple running bistro, and the colors are much more washed out. I don't care much for the UI, no way to go backwards though the modes etc.

    Pocket clip is great and fit and finish are very good.

    Forward clickly might not be my thing, but it seems seemse useful if you put it in the memory-cycle from beginning mode. This way you can use the momentary press of the forward clickly, or tap n click to jump to moonlight mode.

    I do wonder what the expected runtimes are for just the red LED. Can one just leave the red on to use it as a locator as one might with a lighted tailcap?
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 03-20-2017 at 02:47 PM.

  20. #1940
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    5,523

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    This, sir, is part of the beauty and fun of this hobby. Different strokes for different folks. At least I know there will be one less person vying for a light during the next drop! Enjoy your Comvoy, I am glad you like it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    Got my boss and it seems ok. Fun top program etc, and the bounceback feature to activate a 5th mode is a neat trick.

    Wish it had more than 4 modes anyways though.

    It's not as bright as my $60 convoy triple running bistro, and the colors are much more washed out. I don't care much for the UI, no way to go backwards though the modes etc.

    Pocket clip is great and fit and finish are very good.

    Forward clickly might not be my thing, but it seems seemse useful if you put it in the memory-cycle from beginning mode. This way you can use the momentary press of the forward clickly, or tap n click to jump to moonlight mode.

    I do wonder what the expected runtimes are for just the red LED. Can one just leave the red on to use it as a locator as one might with a lighted tailcap?

  21. #1941

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    The tap and click with hybrid memory is a cool idea, haven't considered that.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

  22. #1942

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    I had also asked about continual running of the secondary led-did I miss the answer?


    Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    Got my boss and it seems ok. Fun top program etc, and the bounceback feature to activate a 5th mode is a neat trick.

    Wish it had more than 4 modes anyways though.

    It's not as bright as my $60 convoy triple running bistro, and the colors are much more washed out. I don't care much for the UI, no way to go backwards though the modes etc.

    Pocket clip is great and fit and finish are very good.

    Forward clickly might not be my thing, but it seems seemse useful if you put it in the memory-cycle from beginning mode. This way you can use the momentary press of the forward clickly, or tap n click to jump to moonlight mode.

    I do wonder what the expected runtimes are for just the red LED. Can one just leave the red on to use it as a locator as one might with a lighted tailcap?

  23. #1943
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by YummyBacon! View Post
    I had also asked about continual running of the secondary led-did I miss the answer?
    +1

  24. #1944
    gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Doesn't work. It's a physical clicky switch. This is usually done with electronic switches (I know, the blf x5/x6 are exceptions, but not the norm).

  25. #1945
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Btw did a little run-time test at 10% - 1W - using an AW 700 mAh. Ran for about an hour and a half before finally dying. Interesting to see the output slowly drop, definitely a helpful feature and nice to see that you can toggle the drop and constant regulation.

  26. #1946
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    overready is going to send me a battery to help me diagnose an issue I am having. I'm running Keepower black high drain 18350's they are rated 8A continious 15amp pulse.
    http://www.illumn.com/batteries-char...-flat-top.html

    I have found that once my cell reached 3.6v with battery protection on, and Battery Stretch off (my ideal config) that instead of dropping out of 74% high mode, the light will instead shut off and not turn back on until some time has passed, which is really frustrating! ('m also running the hybrid memory so that might make a difference). If I turn battery protection off and battery stretch off the light steps down when it falls out of regulation which is what I would expect. If I turn Battery protection on and battery stretch on the light operates as expected as well.

    Since most of us are using non protected cells, it seems these options are may not be fully configurable if you don't want issues. Seems that we should leave battery stretch on and battery protection on, or risk damaging your batteries or having the light turn off on you and not turn back on. For now I think I will deal with not having battery under-voltage protection and just be careful. That's just a little disappointing for such an expensive light. But who knows, maybe the AW cells will fix the problem, but then that means the light is probably more cell sensitive than it should be. Or I can give in and turn both features on i guess.
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 03-20-2017 at 11:17 PM.

  27. #1947
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    596

    Default v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    overready is going to send me a battery to help me diagnose an issue I am having. I'm running Keepower black high drain 18350's they are rated 8A continious 15amp pulse.
    http://www.illumn.com/batteries-char...-flat-top.html

    I have found that once my cell reached 3.6v with battery protection on, and Battery Stretch off (my ideal config) that instead of dropping out of 74% high mode, the light will instead shut off and not turn back on until some time has passed, which is really frustrating! ('m also running the hybrid memory so that might make a difference). If I turn battery protection off and battery stretch off the light steps down when it falls out of regulation which is what I would expect. If I turn Battery protection on and battery stretch on the light operates as expected as well.

    Since most of us are using non protected cells, it seems these options are may not be fully configurable if you don't want issues. Seems that we should leave battery stretch on and battery protection on, or risk damaging your batteries or having the light turn off on you and not turn back on. For now I think I will deal with not having battery under-voltage protection and just be careful. That's just a little disappointing for such an expensive light. But who knows, maybe the AW cells will fix the problem, but then that means the light is probably more cell sensitive than it should be. Or I can give in and turn both features on i guess.
    I'm using the same batteries and have not had any issues. Granted, I don't run it on high 28 continuously, but I also noticed whilst doing the runtime test above that the light shut off and would not turn on for some time. Then, after a minute or so, it turned on again. By this time, the battery was at about 2.9 volts (empty). I used an AW 700 mAh for the test.

  28. #1948
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I'm using the same batteries and have not had any issues. Granted, I don't run it on high 28 continuously, but I also noticed whilst doing the runtime test above that the light shut off and would not turn on for some time. Then, after a minute or so, it turned on again. By this time, the battery was at about 2.9 volts (empty). I used an AW 700 mAh for the test.
    3.6v is getting down in voltage for sure, but shutting off is a bummer. Might just be that I need to leave this one on battery stretch (probably not a bad idea with this light anyways).

    Not as great of photos as many of you (just took them with my phone in not the best light). Boss is much lighter than my other triples!

    Specs (R -> L) (all have pocket clips):
    Boss 35 - all stock but with frosted narrow lens.
    Rey Ti - Mtn Bistro Fet + 7135 Driver, Copper Noctigon 219c 4000k 9050 triple, 20mm UCL lens Frosted Narrow Optic + 10 trits. (both springs bypassed)
    Convory S2+ - Gray Convoy Baked in Oven. Mtn Bistro Fet + 7135 Driver, KD 219c 4000k triple on copper KD board (lighter than noctigon), KD Optic, stock lens + Magnet added to Tailcap, and clear rubber switchcap. (Both Springs Bypassed)

    triple light weights by glamisduner, on Flickr

    triple lights by glamisduner, on Flickr
    In this picture you can see the boss exposes the proper amount of the optic, convoy is in the middle and they rey ti covers up a bit too much of it.

    Boss has the least thermal mass, but it does not drive the LED's quite as hard as the others in this configuration either. Convoy S2+ with Mtn spacer wins here for thermal mass in the head, the S2 Mtn heatsink is even larger!

    Rey Ti has Trits and is titanium so not sure what that wins it but it's cool lookin!

    Boss beats the convoy and rey ti in host quality and design hands down. Fit and finish are very good, and the pocket clip is by far the best of the 3 (this is important to me) It is easier to customize if using a computer too. It also has the cool bounceback safety (which im still working on getting adjusted right) and the red LED for diagnostics an night vision. I really like the way it displays the battery voltage using both white and red LEDs!

    * Bistro drivers can beat the boss in customization since the firmware is open source but that requires coding and flashing the atiny driver which i plan to do). You can program pretty well without a computer, which is nice, and adjust the temperature shut off too. You get allot more brightness modes with bistro (if you want them) plus a couple hidden modes and medium press to go backwards which I have learned to love! In non memory mode you have a click on then medium press reverse to turbo shortcut, vs the boss where I can do a light press then turn on for moonlight mode. I prefer the 2 presses for turbo over moonlight, but either is workable The Boss does not have medium press to reverse, but it does have a forward clicky, so on the hybrid memory mode, you get that nice momentary on which is great. I'm really happy they included the hybrid memory mode!

    I might have to try to get my hands on a 219c version of this light if it comes out. I really do prefer the 4000k temp and 92+ CRI of the 219c lights. Also I prefer the KD optic (not carclo). Unfortunately I think the post holes are a tad larger on the KD optic, so I can't put one in the boss very easily, but the KD 219c triple board plus optic combo for $7 is a REAL bargain! It has a narrower spot than the Carlco 10507 narrow, but more spill light too (10507 throws a bit farther, but the KD is more usable for EDC to me). Frosted Narrow optics tend to hide beam and tint artifacts better than the 10507, but not really more than the KD, so they are my second favorite.
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 03-21-2017 at 01:59 AM.

  29. #1949
    Flashaholic* Moddoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    3.6V resting is near 25% charge.

    This is too low to run a light at high power.

    The battery's voltage will sag significantly under a heavy load.
    This is causing the light to hit the battery protection.
    This battery Protection is saving your cell from damage.

    If a cell is drained too low, it's performance will be reduced. This will cause the cell to have more trouble performing in the future.
    If a cell ever hits the Battery Protection (low voltage) shut-off, we recommend recharging it immediately.
    If IMR cells are drained too far, even once, they can be ruined.

    We do not recommend using unprotected IMR cells without battery protection turned on.

  30. #1950
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moddoo View Post
    3.6V resting is near 25% charge.

    This is too low to run a light at high power.

    The battery's voltage will sag significantly under a heavy load.
    This is causing the light to hit the battery protection.
    This battery Protection is saving your cell from damage.

    If a cell is drained too low, it's performance will be reduced. This will cause the cell to have more trouble performing in the future.
    If a cell ever hits the Battery Protection (low voltage) shut-off, we recommend recharging it immediately.
    If IMR cells are drained too far, even once, they can be ruined.

    We do not recommend using unprotected IMR cells without battery protection turned on.
    I get what your saying but then why does it work fine with battery stretch enabled? I ran it for like another 10 mins on high by simply changing the programming. The difference was that with stretch enabled it ramps down instead of shutting off.

    i even put the battery into my rey ti to see what the driver did do. It simply stepped down but didn't shut off. Then back into the boss with stretch enabled to see when it would shut down. It shut off at 2.8v according to the battery check, so then back to the charger it went.

    seems the only problem comes from having battery stretch disabled and low voltage protection on. the problem being that my light will simply shut off with about 25 percent life left. Without battery stretch, turning off the low voltage protection allowed the light to step down as as expected. This is what happens in my other lights with different drivers, which also have low voltage protection. They step down when they fall out of regulation but do not shut the light off until it is time for LVP to kick in. The boss just seems to get confused and shut the light off instead of stepping down in this case.
    Last edited by Justintoxicated; 03-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1555585960616263646566 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •