Klarus        
Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596979899100 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 2984

Thread: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

That aluminum BOSS looks great even with the finish wear and badge of use bump. 🏻 My Titanium BOSS only leaves my pocket for use or a fresh battery.

I saw a post of what appeared to be Titanium BOSS lights being assembled over on Instagram the other day. And heard rumblings of a new Insider to be released soon... 🧐

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    My only EDC for 481 days and counting! You guys really screwed up my interest and expectations for flashlights you know that right! Forced patina is mostly worn away, lots of pocket wabi and a few dings and dents but works like a charm the first time....every time!

Is that aluminum? Has anyone measured candela?

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Is that aluminum? Has anyone measured candela?
    Yep, from the very first drop. Can't speak to candela. I haven't even programmed it for about a year so I'm not sure of my levels anymore. I got dimmer, dim, bright and brightest in that order. Lol
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    Yep, from the very first drop. Can't speak to candela. I haven't even programmed it for about a year so I'm not sure of my levels anymore. I got dimmer, dim, bright and brightest in that order. Lol
    Just the configuration I would go for. Extreme jealousy here!

Flashaholic

JWRitchie76,

Exactly how hard did your Boss hit and impact on what type of surface, concrete?

Btw, Properly heat treated, unplated 7075T6 should Not have dinged that severe on a minor 2-3ft standing drop, unless you dropped it from second story balcony onto a stone or concrete patio?

IMO, The damage appears more like soft 6061T6 (or less)
    You should take the flashlight to a machinist, or shop that is equipped with a Rockwell Hardness Tester and find out the surface hardness of your Boss 35. A simple non damaging test, this will indicate what grade material it's made from..

** And, Please post the results!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    JWRitchie76,

Exactly how hard did your Boss hit and impact on what type of surface, concrete?

Btw, Properly heat treated, unplated 7075T6 should Not have dinged that severe on a minor 2-3ft standing drop, unless you dropped it from second story balcony onto a stone or concrete patio?

IMO, The damage appears more like soft 6061T6 (or less)
    You should take the flashlight to a machinist, or shop that is equipped with a Rockwell Hardness Tester and find out the surface hardness of your Boss 35. A simple non damaging test, this will indicate what grade material it's made from..

** And, Please post the results!
    Most likely concrete yea. Never paid attention to when or how and I don't personally believe that OR would mislead me or anyone else about the lights composition. It rides in my back left pocket. Last week I was changing sway bar bushings in my 4runner. I can't tell you how many times my ass cheek ground this thing into the concrete garage floor because I forgot it was back there. Long story short, I don't baby it at all. Its a work horse. One of these days I might actually clean and relube it!
    Last edited by JWRitchie76; 03-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Flashaholic

Yep, Been there done that, ass chicks smashing back pocket items against the garage floor, happens to the best of us! The answer to the problem is Ti Boss 35

Yep, Been there done that, ass chicks smashing back pocket items against the garage floor, happens to the best of us! The answer to the problem is Ti Boss 35
    I beat up a couple Ti McGizmo Haiku pretty good back in the day. This 7075 is holding up pretty dang good to be honest. My wallet prefers to spend the couple hundred saved by not buying Ti on pocket knives.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

So this is kinda weird, I've noticed since I last posted pictures a few days ago my light is developing some kind of patina or discoloration? So it wasn't there when I posted Monday but if you look at my pics today you can see it. After I posted on Monday I met with a state inspector for railroad crossings. I used the light to illuminate the inside of a crossing bungalow after I cut the power to test for crossed battery and grounds. Instead of putting it back into my back pocket I slid it into my grungy work coat pocket and forgot about it until bed time that evening. Since then it's started to darken. I don't mind it. It doesn't wash away. Is there anything that would be corrosive or reactive with the aluminum? If anything I think it's kinda cool. The surface is starting to tarnish and darken again.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Flashaholic

That is kinda wierd color. Were you around Chlorine?
    I have used an automotive metal prep (etch) made specifically for aluminum. A mild phosphoric acid that can be used full strength, or dilutes with water. Intended for auto (aluminium) prep before applying primer/paint. The wash prep will create a satin grey patina lookin (phosphate) finish that won't rub off easily. As the boss body does gets rubbed/polished off by pants pockets, etc., you can just re.apply the acid etch as needed. It's worth giving a try. Also, you can take a fine sharpening 1/4" wide half-round India stone and dress-up those dings before the acid etch -- Or, leave that green oxidation, it looks cool, as long as your hair doesn't fall out, and gums don't start bleeding 😁
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-08-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redryder View Post
    The Oveready website says "Avoid cells with huge capacity values (1200mah 18350, etc ". Is there a reason? I just bought some Keeppower 18350P 1200mah.
    Sorry, that reference is outdated and described fake capacity 18350 that were popular 5+ years ago.

Have you thought about offering XP-L HI in neutral 5000k tint ?
    Our scale goes like so:

6500 - cool
    5000 - slightly cool
    4500 - neutral
    4000 - slightly warm
    3000 - warm

We spent our first years perfecting neutral, 4500. This avoids tints and give a clean result. But all colors 4500+ are closer to high noon sun, a cool color our bodies expect in the morning. A kind of neural caffeine, 5000-7000 colors trick our brains into thinking its daytime and reduce our ability to fall asleep. This is the reason FLUX and Night Shift have gotten so popular. We have pushed more warm in concert with this change in awareness and consider 5000+ to be a specialty color, for staying awake and making light sources feel more intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I'd love to see a BOSS turbohead. I'm thinking generally the proportions of the Malkoff VME head, but of course with BOSS styling. Could use an XP-L hi and the optic from that new DIP P60 drop in, but with the same voltage flexibility and programmability as the v5. You could turn the BOSS combo into a complete and versatile platform.
    This isn't so much a technical hurtle but an economic one. Single XPLs offer a third of the power/lumens of triple XPLs, with a savings of less than $10. A savings potentially wiped out by increasing construction costs. The result would be a BOSS that throws more but with a third the total power. It would be preferable to select a larger LED and head, with a different platform.

Quote Originally Posted by ridnovir View Post
    Did Ti BOSSes sell out? Not on site any longer.
    We are transitioning to a new finish, to be announced soon with Insider 69!
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 03-08-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

eager to know what's the new finish?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Flashaholic

+1 on Ti new look.. Plus I can live (and sleep) with 4500k (XPL HI) Is Oveready still offering that option?

Dan, did you view Stoneking photos of blue tint XPL-Rd (4500k) Is this a common tint color for that emitter?
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-09-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Interesting.......waiting for Insider 69.

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    eager to know what's the new finish?
    Details soon but I'm an aluminum and brass guy and can't put down the new finish

+1 on Ti new look.. Plus I can live (and sleep) with 4500k is Oveready still offering that option?Dan, did you view Stoneking photos of blue tint XPL-Rd (4500k) is this common tint color for that emitter?
    We review every triple by sight and have never shipped a v5 light that cool.

I have a few boards left, so ask on any order if you'd like it changed in.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 03-09-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Flashaholic

The warm 4000k is what has been holding me back. I'll place an order when you restock the 7075 bare Aluminum or HA Boss 70
    Thanks!

Flashaholic

+1 on Ti new look.. Plus I can live (and sleep) with 4500k (XPL HI) Is Oveready still offering that option?

Dan, did you view Stoneking photos of blue tint XPL-Rd (4500k) Is this a common tint color for that emitter?
    The blue tint from the picture is either a faulty led (wich I doubt) or a wrong temp balance with the picture. I have three V5 with xpl redome and none of them is like that. I am a tint snob and except on very low power where it is a little bit green, on high I prefer the xpl redome on the xpl hi.

Do not panic. xpl redome are great.

I agree, the XPL Redome is excellent, no blue at all.
    Get one without fear.
    P

Flashaholic

Copy that.. Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Croquette View Post
    The blue tint from the picture is either a faulty led (wich I doubt) or a wrong temp balance with the picture. I have three V5 with xpl redome and none of them is like that. I am a tint snob and except on very low power where it is a little bit green, on high I prefer the xpl redome on the xpl hi.

Do not panic. xpl redome are great.
    These photos seem to have created a bit of a stir. Sorry if they give a false comparison. This is why I stated what I used to take the photo.
    Side by side when I took that photo it seemed accurate. I apologize for any confusion or misrepresentation.

You're just contrubuting to the debate, no need to apologise.
    P

Flashaholic

Stoneking,

What level/lumens do you see the blue tint?

In comparision to your other photos, assuming you used the same camera/settings, maybe something is incorrect with your XPL redome board?

According to Dan P the blue tint is not proper, and shouldn't have been sold in that condition

If OR has not already contacted you, I'd ask to have it checked out. I'm sure they'll correct any issues

No apologies are in order!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-09-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Flashaholic

You did nothing wrong. If you really see so much blue, maybe there is something wrong with your led. Here a pic with xpl redome and nichia 219c 4k and nichia 219b 5k high on a slightly creme blanket.

https://imgur.com/a/wHSwR
    Last edited by Croquette; 03-09-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Flashaholic

Croquette, The 219C tint actually appears more neutral to the XPL redome, is this how you perceive it?
    Thanks for photos!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-09-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Flashaholic

Hope everyone can see the pic. I did not take the xpl hi as the frosted optic isn't useful for this.

The nichia 219c is the most pleasant for me. But I like the three tint. All of them are great in real use. Don't use my flashlight to light my blanket .
    Last edited by Croquette; 03-09-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
    These photos seem to have created a bit of a stir. Sorry if they give a false comparison. This is why I stated what I used to take the photo.Side by side when I took that photo it seemed accurate. I apologize for any confusion or misrepresentation.
    Sorry, I also didn't mean to cause a stir. A few more points:

Camera's have adjustable white balance. On manual (SLRs etc), this can be fixed but often isn't. On automatic (cell phones), the software often takes an average, which may show a particular example with an odd result.

So too, eyes have adjustable white balance. An eye saturated in daylight (such as when we test all BOSS) will see sunlight color as white. An eye saturated with night/yellow will see the exact same color as being blue.

So determining the actual color of source takes trial and error and more trial. I recently ordered a color meter that should allow more accurate representations, at least as far as K is concerned.

I also created this guide to photographing color temperature but its not easy:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...olor-Reference
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 03-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Announcement

Our next BOSS release is this weekend, here are the details:

WHEN
    Sunday, March 11 - early afternoon pacific time (after lunch)

WHAT
    Three configurations...
    Frosted Titanium XPL HI 4000k + red (35 & 70)
    Frosted Titanium XPL HI 4000k + amber (35 & 70)
    Frosted Titanium 219c 4000k + amber (35 & 70)

WHERE
    Our BOSS store now has three sections
    Flashlights - whole 35's and 70's

Components - heads and bodies (get your second here to make a combo)
    Accessories - bezels, beads, caps, etc

HOW
    All stock will be released in a single large batch
    We'll work to ship all orders together next week

MODIFICATIONS
    Order pages include a Special Instructions text box, for things like:

• Bezel ring changes
    • GID / clip removal
    • Optic swaps
    • For fastest shipping, leave this box empty

UPDATES
    This thread will be updated with the latest info including shipping
    Our FB group controlthedark.com will be updated with the latest info including shipping
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 03-09-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Ok, I'll ask ... what's "frosted" titanium ?

Some variation on bead-blast ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic

I'm wondering what flavor is the Frosting?
    Archi, you're probably correct a glass bead blasted finish would be my guess as well

Probably tastes like money.

Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596979899100 LastLast