Wuben        
Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767 ... LastLast

Thread: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    just got my 70 today. it's awesome! would love to see one in copper
    I just received mine too and am very happy with it so far. It lies so well in my hand and has a very nice smooth feel.

I agree with you that a Copper B.O.S.S would be highly desirable. Perhaps the greater mass and conductivity of Copper might even enhance the runtime at a given output level before automatic stepdown occurs. In theory it should help to draw heat away from the leds faster assuming that there's a tight physical contact between the L.E and the outer casing.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

^ Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    [Now you guys (lucky guys) have had some uses(real world stuff), what kind of outputs can you use for decent run times. I dont mean hours, but say 300lm for 30m(is it possible with heat/mass). How does it cope with 2000lm on the single cell? minute maybe.............maybe less. Just wondering what type of duration before stepping down or manually stepped down. I know its only for short uses anyway, so not critical. Just wondering what type of level can be sustained without it getting too toasty.
    Configuration 1 on a BOSS 35 in 3rd mode (medium / 10% / level 21) on a fresh cell yields over 1.5 hours at a stable 350L. Then nearly an additional hour of steady declining output from stretch, before shutting off. 10% is only 3w and not enough to get the light past 'warm' and will stay 'luke warm' if being held.

High declines sooner as voltage drops and heat accumulates, but v5 is designed to automatically cope with accumulating heat and will drop output gradually and only as far as needed to reach equilibrium between set level and thermal constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrowned View Post
    I have a question about the V5 board in the BOSS I just received. It seems that every once in a while when I turn it on, the red LED will come on, even if I do not have that programmed as a mode at all. And at least once, the red LED was at full brightness and flickering. I know it's not programming mode because it had been unused, and then it received a single click to turn on. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I did use the online programer to reset it to factory settings, and then back to my preferences. But it still has this behavior.
    I personally test all 4 modes on every light before shipment. This behavior is not normal and suggests an issue with bounce mode or battery. Drop us a note (here or reply to receipt email) and I'll start a trouble shooting process.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 11-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

I had my red light come on, and then the light wouldn't work, but it was because one of my 18350s died. New battery and all was fine.

Low amp cells can also be an issue, ultrafire, etc.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

I didn't see this mentioned, maybe I am in the minority but I would love to see these offered in titanium...Any chance?

I love titanium. With that being stated, you guys really need to hold a B.O.S.S in your hand. I'm betting after doing so, you won't be calling for titanium. Words fail me to adequately describe how enjoyable it is to hold.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Two messages sent via the 'contact us' form.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I love titanium. With that being stated, you guys really need to hold a B.O.S.S in your hand. I'm betting after doing so, you won't be calling for titanium. Words fail me to adequately describe how enjoyable it is to hold.

~ Chance
    I gotta agree I have the 70 and it's just the right size for my hand any smaller and my hand would cover the bezel in use - it does just feel right.

This is the first light I have owned that I am not scared to drop/bump/scratch as it's got no anno and looks worn already to start with - titanium and ano scratch/mark too easily so you're always worried (mostly if you think you will sell it down the track) - also it would be a shame to limit such a nice light with all that technology to make so many lumens with Titanium that would just cook the driver or at least the output would drop quickly as heat would be a real concern in a light this size.

IMO a FET in this light would be going backward (not just in efficiency) making it a 30-second hotrod from all that heat in such a small light, then when it steps down in 30ish seconds you might as well have a little less output initially and for longer for real world use - for cost and output I think you want a Vinh light for that because these have thermal protection his only have a timer and nothing thermal.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I agree with you that a Copper B.O.S.S would be highly desirable.
    I am not really into copper or brass lights, but THAT design and copper would really make it look as if it were from a different time.......

Hopefully I can pick up my 35/amber on monday at customs.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post

~ Chance

Agree 100%.

Thanks for the info mr guru

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    This is the first light I have owned that I am not scared to drop/bump/scratch as it's got no anno and looks worn already to start with - titanium and ano scratch/mark too easily so you're always worried (mostly if you think you will sell it down the track)...
    That's only an issue with polished, and it could easily be buffed out. You can stone wash titanium just like this and then the finish would hold up just as well, if not better. I like the idea that this light may see more materials because of the limited number of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    I didn't see this mentioned, maybe I am in the minority but I would love to see these offered in titanium...Any chance?
    Materials are a major focus of the BOSS program but...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    it would be a shame to limit such a nice light with all that technology to make so many lumens with Titanium
    So the question is how important is ALL titanium. If we can achieve close to normal operation by making half the head out of copper, does that diminish the overall titanium'ness of a titanium BOSS?
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

A Ti bezel and a Ti body with a copper engine housing sounds quite interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Materials are a major focus of the BOSS program but...

So the question is how important is ALL titanium. If we can achieve close to normal operation by making half the head out of copper, does that diminish the overall titanium'ness of a titanium BOSS?
    I would be in for one. How much more would something like that weigh though?
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Don't post here much anymore, family and work has me very busy. I have slowed down on the lights, a lot. However I still receive OR Insider Emails.

This light is absolutely fantastic. The EDC I have been looking for. As close to perfection as I'll ever find. Thanks Oveready!!!

Flashaholic*

IMO all titanium would be best. It would drop in output quickly on the highest settings, but that isn't needed by everyone. People who need longer runtimes can go with an aluminum, or copper.

I am normally a huge advocate of Titanium in led lights, but I instinctively feel that it would be counter-productive in such a small light with such a high output.

I can feel my Aluminium light getting very hot extremely quickly on the high output modes. This means that the output will step down pretty quickly. This is verified by the output runtime graphs in the review (link on the OR BOSS page)

Copper might help lengthen the output but Ti will almost certainly have the opposite effect.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

I think the 7075 Aluminum in Patina finish, is as good as it gets on these lights!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

7075 Aluminum alloy, it's already 1.2 - 1.6% copper and <.5% titanium. Perfect!

~ Chance

No replies. OK, how bout this?

B.O.S.S. 70 Amber Margarita

Of course I use a coaster. I'm not a slob.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 11-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I'm a Ti fiend myself and imo the BOSS is engineered perfectly as is. The patina finish on these is bad ass and look great. The light, for its size is incredibly light, no pun intended. Every minute detail about the BOSS screams performance right down to materials used. I haven't been this happy with a light purchase in a long time. I've said it about a hundred times already but OR hit these clean outta the park Kyle Schwarber style.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Love mine just the way it is. Do what you think will make you enough to cover cost and make money as well. Ti would not interest me. More weight. Less heat sink. Copper at least would be a better heat sink of you were adding weight.

Well - I missed the first round. I had a few chances while there was still stock but didn't pull the trigger. I think I wanted to see people's thoughts on the first run of lights before buying.

I would definitely be interested in a brass one. Love the weight and feel - not as smelly as copper, polishes up bright, and develops a nice patina. That and you would get amazing heat handling from the copper content.

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

Copper is also a much softer metal...
    -I am no law abiding citizen. I am merely not a lawbreaker.
    -Guilty until proven innocent.
    -If it can be conceived by humans, then it can be unravelled by humans.

We seem to need an impossible solution. I'll see what we can do.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum

Just to provide a differing perspective .... I care more about the programmability and the design than the max output.

I'd still be interested in a titanium version even if max output were cut down by 50% +

With or without a copper sink is fine, but I would prefer most external surfaces to be (stonewashed) Ti

I would run a Ti-BOSS at < 100 lm probably > 80% of the time, and < 400 lm for > 95% of my EDC uses
    Last edited by archimedes; 11-12-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

We seem to need an impossible solution. I'll see what we can do.
    Well, for a Ti light you could bore the center of the head and have the LuxRC driver sit on top of a copper slug fit into the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmayot View Post
    Love my stonewashed triple trio!

Stunning detail on the screws!

Oveready did it again... wow!
    Nice but I need the hi res.
    Last edited by recDNA; 11-12-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
    [...]
    I would definitely be interested in a brass one. Love the weight and feel - not as smelly as copper, polishes up bright, and develops a nice patina. That and you would get amazing heat handling from the copper content.
    No, brass is very poor in this respect, both in thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity. The only thing it has going for it is its density and the resulting thermal mass - and adding relatively-unproductive weight wouldn't be desirable in this sort of iteration of an EDC light IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Well, for a Ti light you could bore the center of the head and have the LuxRC driver sit on top of a copper slug fit into the middle.
    Isn't the LuxRC board copper to begin with?
    Either way, the last thing I would like in a light of this form factor would be wasting interior volume (of which it has none to spare) by adding any such slug.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 11-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Flashaholic*

Ti?... Meh.
    I really like most, if not all, of the custom Ti lights i've collected over the years but, The BOSS in 7075 is so good at hitting all the bases for me that I just can't see any distinct advantage to having one in Titanium.
    My preference at this point is to have a 35 and 70 in Black HA with a light tumble. Hope I can get in on the offering of HA black when it comes out.
    Auto

Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767 ... LastLast