NEXTORCH        
Page 31 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2124252627282930313233343536373841 ... LastLast

Thread: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Flashaholic*

Default Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Why don't you just make enough of everything?

Again all sold out!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchshp View Post
    Why don't you just make enough of everything?

Again all sold out!
    Why are you asking this again when it was answered very comprehensively and in very polite fashion by the Oveready team in post #887?
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

Yes, small facilities, reduce over heads to keep in business and give customers the chance to own a special light...............swings and roundabouts. Because of the designs, innovation and being perfectionists, increases demand...........

My guess would be February as a good month for getting to own a BOSS. As its only the 2nd batch and more to be released, demand will always be crazier at the start. Once stocks can catch up, hopefully more customers will get the chance to owning a special light.

Your time will come Fuchshp i am sure many others feel your pain . I am sure its matched at OR with trying to produce and keep up with demand................

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Yes, small facilities, reduce over heads to keep in business and give customers the chance to own a special light...............swings and roundabouts. Because of the designs, innovation and being perfectionists, increases demand...........

My guess would be February as a good month for getting to own a BOSS. As its only the 2nd batch and more to be released, demand will always be crazier at the start. Once stocks can catch up, hopefully more customers will get the chance to owning a special light.

Your time will come Fuchshp i am sure many others feel your pain . I am sure its matched at OR with trying to produce and keep up with demand................
    Very kind response Mark. Some of us also need to learn to have a little patience as well in my opinion however!

The alert that the Oveready team gave about each wave gave a window of time in which it wasn't so difficult to acquire one. I went to the Oveready site at the time they indicated the second wave was dropping just out of curiosity. There were loads of Boss35s at that point and I could easily have bought one although I didn't. There will be plenty more to follow.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    There will be plenty more to follow.
    I'll be looking for a 219 Boss 70 in HA, then I'll be good until Oveready raises their game (again...).

I probably missed this somewhere -- will the smaller-sized light, the BOSS 35, run on a single CR123A primary cell?

Not really, no. In the 70 version there is a 2 primary setting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    I probably missed this somewhere -- will the smaller-sized light, the BOSS 35, run on a single CR123A primary cell?

Flashaholic*

Yes, as long as you program it accordingly. I believe Oveready set up, or at least details, a profile with CR123A safe modes.

Hmm, I'll go check. I thought the primaries setting was using 2. Edit: no setting for a SINGLE primary I can see. Maybe I missed it?

I just scored a 70. Can't wait to compare to the 35. Be about a week. Super excited.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Robe View Post
    I just scored a 70. Can't wait to compare to the 35. Be about a week. Super excited.
    It's sucks! Do you have a Nichia? You could trade that crappy 70 for a Nichia 35.

It's an XPL, same as my 35.

will the smaller-sized light, the BOSS 35, run on a single CR123A primary cell?
    There is no way for v5 to tell if you have a CR vs IMR installed. But there are several ways to operate CR123's safely.

Option 1 is with a dedicated programming channel on the boss 70

This lowers the max high AND turns off the safety's that reduce 123 runtime
    But it also lowers the max output that would otherwise be available for 2xIMR:

Option two is to program your light not to use levels above 4w (one cell) and 8.8w (two cell) and leave the safeties on. This gives you confidence with all cells but will have less runtime one 123 before safeties kick in that are not needed.

Option three is to program your light not to use levels above 4w (one cell) and 8.8w (two cell) and turn safeties off. This gives you complete CR123 runtime but no protections when you flip over to IMR

Option four is arguably the best for most boss 35 uses. Leave the light setup for IMR and just avoid levels above 4/8w for more than brief moments. In the standard DLMH setup, DLM is fine just avoid H. This gives up certain 123 operation but gives on the fly flexibility (with less CR123 runtime because IMR safeties are on)
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 12-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robe View Post

... for the BOSS size, (in the 35 that I've tried), it's substantial in form but the lack of any real weight is amazing.

I can imagine some other metals being pretty awesome, but aluminum is so so so great.
    +1

This light is so lightweight! And the patina finish is 'exotic' looking enough that, although I'm a huge fan of titanium, I enjoy the look of this light just as much. And dropped it into my pocket without worry over scratches, etc. I'll probably try to snag an HA 70, too.

Weight is one of the reasons I have accepted this light as my edc. I was carrying a Muyshondt Aeon MKIII prior to the BOSS and was a little apprehensive when I ordered the BOSS about how heavy it would be. I was astonished when I got it just how light it is. I'm like Dan, ultimately I'm a Ti snob but I think heavier materials would ultimately detract from the overall great and practical attributes of the current BOSS. Don't get me wrong, other exotic materials will be hot sellers but for me personally, I just don't want to edc a boat anchor for the sake of exclusivity. In a nutshell I am exremely happy and pleasantly surprised at how much I like the patina T7075.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Unenlightened

I hope they decide to make more of the patina 7075, I want to get one specifically because of the weight and the looks. I do love titanium and other fancy metals too, but like you said weight matters when it's sitting in your pocket all day.

Ti is also a pretty bad choice of material for a high-current, high-heat triple like this. I mean it would be beautiful and awesome, but if performance is the primary goal then aluminum (or copper if weight isn't a concern) is a better choice. I've got a big triple in a Ti host and it has melted its own optic before. Good thing they're cheap and easy to replace

I really wish I had snagged one of these already...

I'd wager a few people would take titanium even if it meant a drop in output was required.

I wouldn't think it would be too heavy as compared to say, brass.

But aluminum is so nice!

I would only use the highest modes in short [shorter] bursts if I had the Ti model vs what i currently do now with the 7075. I would be ok with that. I guess I'm also a Ti snob. That being said the 7075 is a fantastic material in its own right.

Flashaholic*

High performance is only one reason for these lights. The programmable driver is amazing even for those of us who may not need 1900 or 3300 lumens. I may put my last mode on max, but that would strictly be for showing off for a couple of seconds. I think that mode will get bumped for more useful lower modes though. I'd be content with a high of only 500 lumens for a couple of minutes, and 300 lumens for an extended period.

I also have a little more restraint than some of you lumen hounds, level 26, 38%, 11w is my high mode.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

My high is currently level 27. You still win.

I was at 27 but the drop down one level seemed to make a big difference in heat management and battery consumpton while still being plenty bright. I mean lighting up the neighbors neighbors yard on 3/4 acre lots is plenty good right?
    Last edited by JWRitchie76; 12-30-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Flashaholic*

I'm running 11 15 19 and 23. I still need to tweak the lower modes to get the jump between modes more visually linear.

Oh well, I guess I missed it again

Minor detail but:

A V5 Wasp head on a slim 50 body and a delrin tailcap with a zero res shorty (18650 capable) is still about 11 grams heavier than the BOSS 70 at 68 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    There is no way for v5 to tell if you have a CR vs IMR installed. But there are several ways to operate CR123's safely.
    Thanks for the quick response and info!

I don't think I would care to have one in Ti. I have so many Ti lights already. Now, Copper is a different story. I would definitely be a Cu player. But, the Aluminum does just fine and looks great too. That Patina finish is so sweat in person. The pics don't do it justice. This light will become many folks primary EDC light I predict. As far as my light collection goes, the BOSS probably has one of the best Power to Weight ratios. This elevates the cool factor in my book! Well done
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

I'll take it in Ti. It's a small light it really won't be that heavy. And I'm fine keeping it to 500 lms high for heat for the durability of Ti.

That said I played with one of the patina'd Al models and I wouldn't mind one in my pocket.
    McGizmo&Sebenza: Get It, Use It, Love It, BAN IT!! McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS

I'll play...

I love the look and feel of Ti as much as the next person...McGizmos, Muyshondts, Cool Fall, and many others - they are beautiful and I've owned or own many.

Still, I find it fascinating that basically unfinished, purposely worn aluminum is just as appealing to me as the ti. So when a ti version comes out there's no doubt I'll be tempted...but I'm loving this aluminum version.

Just sayin'.....

Page 31 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2124252627282930313233343536373841 ... LastLast