Review: Nitecore TM03: XHP70, 2800 lumens, 1 x IMR18650; (beam)shots, comparison

kj75

Enlightened
Review: Nitecore TM03: Tiny Monster, XHP70, 2800 lumens, 1 x IMR18650; (beam)shots, compare

The Nitecore TM03 is the latest Tiny-Monster-member of the family, but the first that runs on only one cell. This tactical torch emits 2800 lumens using only one 18650! In this review we'll see or and how this is possible…and I will also compare the TM03 to some other compact "lumen-monsters". So, let's have a closer look at this interesting Tiny-Monster!

a new Nitecore Tiny-Monster-member
11h8fa1.jpg

the TM03
2cwlrvs.jpg

that has the powerful XHP70 LED
2isbhox.jpg

one of the most powerful tactical lights ever
2vigp3b.jpg

great performance for this dimensions
2woabrn.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Nitecore:

Utilizes a CREE XHP70 LED
• Driven by a dedicated IMR 18650 battery to emit up to 2,800 lumens brightness
• Ultra-bright dual-mode tactical blaze
• Dual-switch tail cap designed for tactical use and easy application
• Mode 1 Suppressing light: Direct access to turbo mode
• Mode 2 STROBE READYTM: Direct access to Strobe Mode
• Four easily accessible brightness levels and memory function for fast boost
• Maximum beam intensity up to 21,000cd
• Extensive runtime up to 30 hours
• 289 meters far throw
• Integrated metal micro textured reflector for optimal peripheral illumination
• A power indicator LED hidden in the tail switch indicates battery power
• Electric reverse polarity protection
• Temperature regulation and protection
• Anti-rolling design
• Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
• Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
• Robust HAIII military grade hard-anodized
• Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two meters submersible)

The dimensions:

• Length: 6.25" (159mm)
• Head Diameter: 1.57"(40mm)
• Tail Diameter: 1.18" (30mm)
• Weight: 7.52oz (213g)(without battery)

And the output specs:
2d14854.jpg

Unboxing:

Like other TM-lights, the TM03 comes also in a sturdy brown carton. It's less attractive than most Nitecore boxes, with only a yellow and black colored sticker at the flap. But, what I've mentioned before, often big and nice lights arrive in a non-attractive carton…. But the TM03 is well-protected against damage in this box thanks to the foam inside. About the contents: it's striking that there's no lanyard for the TM03, for the rest all we need is there. The pictures below show the box and what's inside, so please take a look!

big lights often come in brown cartons
2uiugd4.jpg

the sticker shows the specialties of the TM03
v5k45h.jpg

a look into the box
2elh5qx.jpg

foam protects the light during transport or storage
fc623o.jpg

the contents: TM03, warranty card, manual, holster, spare parts and special 18650-cell
11s00tg.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: What a big head! The TM03's head and tube are about the same length. This big head with deep reflector is needed because there's a big and power XHP70-LED inside. Although the ratio of the head to the body is "uneven", I like the looks of the TM03. The combination of the big head, the bezel and the cooling-fins give this tactical TM03 aggressive looks. Another thing: the TM03 has an excellent anti-rolling design. This Nitecore has good and heavy "feels": the light is well-built and anodized, it has also the same body-thickness as the explosion-proof EF-brother. The knurling at the body gives the TM03 extra grip, but the laser engraving could be done better: it looks blurry and pale. When we look into the head, we see a very deep orange-peel reflector that has an extra reflector inside. The XHP70 is built in this extra reflector and has a typical "bloom-shape" around. The LED is well centered and the reflector has no chips or defects. The tail of the TM03 has two buttons: one clicky and a mode switch. The mode switch (that has some specialties, that we'll discuss later in this review) is in my opinion the weakest part of this light. I don't know (I didn't try, haha) if it will survive a drop test… The threads run smooth when we unscrew the cap and inside the tailcap and the body it looks all right. I detected some solder rests at the spring in the tailcap. About the body thickness: I measured 3.5 millimeters; so we can say the TM03 has a real solid tube. At the end of this paragraph we can summarize the build-quality and the overall impressions of the TM03 are good: I couldn't detect shortcomings. Please have a look at the impression-pictures that I took!

A big head in relation to the body!
11r7s0g.jpg

the large head is needed because there's a big LED inside
9kcjsk.jpg

steady standing at the head, but no tail-standing possible
vrpzr4.jpg

power that fits in the palm of your hand!
2gt4swp.jpg

the big head gives the torch aggressive looks
skz1as.jpg

but I like the design
2hofsdg.jpg

the deep "orange-peel" reflector has another reflector inside
2ajdop4.jpg

fine knurling
efjjvr.jpg

a lot and deep fins are needed
2z5w5yo.jpg

smooth running threads. Mind the red o-ring
2u9tsm8.jpg

a look into the cap; some solder rests at the spring here
e6ukbd.jpg

big head, amazing output
osh8cg.jpg

mind the typical bloom-shape around the led; needed because the emitter gets real hot
1zf4yvn.jpg

only one battery-option for the TM03
302ceiv.jpg

well-built
e9td7k.jpg

keep this in mind
110bs68.jpg

a close-up at both switches
2zh14es.jpg

the XHP70 is well-centered
2hekayh.jpg

the engraving is not clear and blurry
hrx7qe.jpg

the threads are well-greased
242biv9.jpg

the mode-switch has several options
65sqp1.jpg

a close-up at the spring
2rxuulj.jpg

the first TM-member that runs on only one cell
15ywth2.jpg

but thanks to the special cell great performance
2pq75p0.jpg

the TM03 fits well in the holster
2dh89zt.jpg

a close-up to the special, high-drain TM03-cell
121u6xf.jpg

User interface:

The TM03 is a middle-sized light that fits well in your hand. Thanks to the big head the light won't easily slip out of your hand and because of the rather slim body (for a Tiny Monster) the torch is easy to handle with.

Mind that the TM03 runs on a unprotected IMR high-drain cell; this means that you need a battery charger that is suited for charging IMR cells. For example, the Nitecore D4 charger does this job without problems. Because you may only use this special cell, you can insert a random 18650 button top is the cell is empty. This means you have to wait until the cell is charged again; or buy a spare "NI18650D". By the way: in emergency falls you can use an ordinary 18650; but this means most special functions of the TM03 can't be used. I tested the TM03 using a Nitecore 3400 mAh protected cell, and could only use the 2 lowest modes; so only use this cell when in urgent falls.

The special feature that the TM03 brings is that the light is programmable: In short this means that the mode switch can operate at two ways. To enter of change the modes you have to take out the cell, insert again within 60 seconds and press and hold the mode switch while doing that. One or two flashes tell you about the actual mode.

After the 18650 is inserted, the power indicator (a red led built-in the power-button) informs you about the actual battery-voltage: three flashes power above 50%; two flashes power below 50% and one flash means critical power (below 10%). Press the button for momentary-on or click for constant-on. The TM03 turns on in last-used mode. If on, cycle through the modes (only upwards) by using the mode-button. Because the mode switch responds very quickly, you can activate STROBE accidentally when cycling quick through the modes. In any mode (also from off), press and hold the mode switch to enter direct TURBO; this function will be activated until you release the mode switch. Because at TURBO the lens of the TM03 gets real hot in a short time, this mode is only recommended for short illumination, a short check or defending. This is clear about the TM03: A light that runs on only one cell powered by this kind of LED can't run longer time a highest mode. So better to use this light at HIGH when using it for longer than a few minutes. Nitecore has built-in a temperature regulation feature: the TM03 will automatically downgrade its power level when the body temperature gets above 50 degrees. If cooled down below 50 degrees, the TM03 returns to HIGH-mode. A quick double press will give STROBE; this is a steady mode and can be deactivated by one press at the mode button.

Summarizing, we can say the programmable mode switch is an interesting feature for a light that is suited for defending / tactical use. The interface works without defects, but mind that you'll activate strobe-mode when cycling through the modes.

Modes:

Totally four normal modes at the TM03: Starting at LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The lights starts (especially for a Nitecore!) at a "big" 40 lumens; and the jumps between the modes are rather big. Two special / instant modes: instant-TURBO and instant-STROBE, both available in mode one or mode two. STROBE mode has variable frequency. You can LOCK-OUT the TM03 by releasing the tailcap a little.

Size comparison:

This is the first light that puts out 2800 lumens using only one 18650; so a direct competitor is hard to find. I've compared the light to the Klarus RS30 and the Nitecore P36, that both have big output using two protected 18650 cells.

18650-cell, Klarus RS30, Nitecore TM03 and Nitecore P36
v3m8eh.jpg

Klarus RS30, Nitecore TM03 and Nitecore P36
a9vfv7.jpg

35chlia.jpg

ddj29z.jpg

XM-L2 U2, XHP70 and MT-G2
zuld7a.jpg

the tails: Klarus RS30, Nitecore TM03 and Nitecore P36
fkbjbo.jpg

Tint:

The TM03 has a cool tint, and maybe compared to Klarus RS30 and the Nitecore P36 it seems very "cold", but I can tell you the tint is ok. Noticeable is that the edge of the beam shows a different tint that has yellow/green color. Have a look at the wallshots too, that show what I mean..

ej8xfp.jpg

Beamprofile:

It's not a strange thing that this deep head and reflector emits a "throwy" beam. The TM03 has a rather tiny hotspot, but also a medium corona and a big (and bright) spill. This results in a "wall of light" combined with decent throw. The output of the TM03 is really impressive! On the other hand, this beam is not free of rings and has also a yellow/green ring at the edge. Luckily no PWM found at any mode, good point here.

Beamshots:

As we're used of, we start inside by showing the four output modes of the TM03 by projecting the light a white wall, followed by a GIF. Because of the big output, I adjusted the shutter time of the camera a little. The distance to the wall is about 0,75 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/400 sec, 35mm
2rm8v49.jpg

30ifgg7.jpg

2nw3eao.jpg

20rsh9t.jpg

GIF-picture:
1jnrra.jpg

Going outside now together with this output-monster! Firstly, the four output modes shown here when shining on a road, followed by a GIF-picture. After that, a shoot-out (at highest mode) against the Klarus RS30 and the Nitecore P36.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
rrtegl.jpg

atkhap.jpg

rhlabo.jpg

2lbyjio.jpg

GIF-picture:
vfvy2v.jpg

the TM03 against the Klarus RS30
2j42hkz.jpg

the TM03 against the Nitecore P36
2zodf0j.jpg

Another location here, in the field. The distance to the big tree in the middle (tested with a Bresser rangefinder) is about 80 meters. All lights again at highest mode.

Control shot and Bresser 6x25 rangefinder
iqd8wy.jpg

distance about 80 meters
dyn60n.jpg

the TM03 at Turbo-mode
szwia9.jpg

the Klarus RS30 at Turbo-mode
sfkn08.jpg

and the Nitecore P36 at Turbo
aqgjq.jpg

Conclusion:

At the end of this review I can conclude that the TM03 is an really impressive light, and I never had my hand-on before to such a pocked-sized lumen-monster. It is sturdy, also thanks to the thick body, well finished and has nice appearance. Also the programmable mode-button is a feature that a lot of user appreciate. About the interface: Mind that you can activate strobe-mode accidentally if you tap the mode button to quick when cycling though the modes.

What I wish about the TM03? That it came with an 26650….It would have the same length, a slightly larger tube-diameter, but the possibility to run longer times, especially at Turbo. It's a pity now that a light that brings so much output, can run for only a short time on highest mode… But I hope to see this powerful XHP70 emitter future built-in a big-headed Nitecore..

But the TM03 is an ideal torch for defending, and you'll feel safe while carrying this light: I'm sure the blinding 2800 lumens and the strobe will scare away every attacker!

Special thanks to Nitecore for providing me the light!

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...I tested the TM03 using a Nitecore 3400 mAh protected cell, and could only use the 2 lowest modes; so only use this cell when in urgent falls."

There is 'no free lunch', to achieve this performance from a single cell 18650 light you need a proprietary battery. An even more unfavorable characteristic for me is that the light does not fully function well with non-proprietary 18650 batteries.

This is a good stock novelty or experimental flashlight, and in a few years it may be its only claim.

Edit: The increasing number of single cell 26650 flashlights being introduced may make lights like the TM03 obsolete.

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Kinda a bad deal about the battery requirements for this torch,but I really would still like to try one out,so been waiting for this review. With such a deep reflector I would have liked a bit more throw.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have an idea how the TM03 battery rated at 11.1 Wh or about 3100mAh can achieve the results calculated by Nitecore?

Can merely an adjusted driver be all that would be needed?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot tell the difference between high and turbo. Then again my vision is horrible. Great review awesome pics once again!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda a bad deal about the battery requirements for this torch,but I really would still like to try one out,so been waiting for this review. With such a deep reflector I would have liked a bit more throw.
The XHP70 is a better flood led than a thrower; given the current available from even a single propitiatory battery the results of the TM03 are quite good.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting Thorfire kj75 its like a slightly smaller less powerful L6. The L6 is the greatest 50 bucks you will ever spend on a light. They kinda look like they came off the same assembly line. The tac ring is the same hmmmm.....

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have an idea how the TM03 battery rated at 11.1 Wh or about 3100mAh can achieve the results calculated by Nitecore?

Can merely an adjusted driver be all that would be needed?
The watt-hour rating is meaningless without knowing what the amp draw is for each mode. For a given amperage draw, a larger watt-hour rating will give a longer run time. How Nitecore achieves this on a single cell is to suck the life out of it, rapidly and literally. You will notice that the run time for Turbo mode is 15 minutes. I don't know how much capacity would be left for the other modes after that, but it can't be that much.

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if all features of TM03 will work with a different high drain unprotected cell, like Sony US18650VTC6 for example?
What is the maximum draw of this light in turbo mode? 20A? 30A?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if all features of TM03 will work with a different high drain unprotected cell, like Sony US18650VTC6 for example?
What is the maximum draw of this light in turbo mode? 20A? 30A?
The short answer is NO.
It is fairly clear that the high output modes of the TM03 use the forward contacts on the battery, so absent the special TM03 battery or an IMR cell modified to provide the forward negative contact, the high power modes will be unavailable. Turbo mode is going to be in the 8-9 amp range. The issue isn't the battery, it is the need for forward negative contact on the battery. If you examine the TM03 you will find a special circular contact in the head for the negative connection from the TM03's special battery. I bit the bullet and bought a second battery.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The watt-hour rating is meaningless without knowing what the amp draw is for each mode. For a given amperage draw, a larger watt-hour rating will give a longer run time. How Nitecore achieves this on a single cell is to suck the life out of it, rapidly and literally. You will notice that the run time for Turbo mode is 15 minutes. I don't know how much capacity would be left for the other modes after that, but it can't be that much.
+1

Thank you!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short answer is NO.
It is fairly clear that the high output modes of the TM03 use the forward contacts on the battery, so absent the special TM03 battery or an IMR cell modified to provide the forward negative contact, the high power modes will be unavailable. Turbo mode is going to be in the 8-9 amp range. The issue isn't the battery, it is the need for forward negative contact on the battery. If you examine the TM03 you will find a special circular contact in the head for the negative connection from the TM03's special battery. I bit the bullet and bought a second battery.
+1

Thank you!

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
The short answer is NO.

Thanks for the info. So the dedicated battery has nothing to do with high drain (regular Sanyo NCR18650GA can easily handle continuous 8-9 amp), instead the dedicated battery is required because it has non-standard forward negative contact. Any idea why it is needed? Considering TM03 can still take negative from tail contact (when using regular cells)?

Zak

Enlightened
The dedicated battery is not needed for any technical reason. Nitecore used it because they like selling $20 batteries for a job that could be done by $5 batteries. They may also not want to deal with customer complaints about the light not working properly with say... low-drain protected cells, which will trip under the ~7A load the TM03 pulls.

They could have just included an NL-totally-not-a-rewrapped-HG2 and wrote in the manual "due to its high current demands, this light might not work properly with any battery other than the NL-totally-not-a-rewrapped-HG2", but they'd rather sell $20 batteries. This is bad for the user, especially the enthusiast user who has a battery collection, but also for the casual user. A casual user has a decent chance of finding a battery that will work in other high-drain lights like the Armytek Wizard XHP50 and upcoming Prime XHP35 and Zebralight SC600 XHP50. In a few years when this abomination is out of production, they'll have no chance of finding a replacement battery for it.

This is bad, Nitecore should feel bad and nobody should buy a TM03. Death to proprietary batteries.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the really good review kj75! :)

Pity about the proprietary battery, it's a really mean looking light! I agree that this light is screaming out for a 26650 big brother at some stage. Typical of Nitecore though, they are not afraid to do something a little different to the rest.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dedicated battery is not needed for any technical reason. Nitecore used it because they like selling $20 batteries for a job that could be done by $5 batteries. They may also not want to deal with customer complaints about the light not working properly with say... low-drain protected cells, which will trip under the ~7A load the TM03 pulls.

They could have just included an NL-totally-not-a-rewrapped-HG2 and wrote in the manual "due to its high current demands, this light might not work properly with any battery other than the NL-totally-not-a-rewrapped-HG2", but they'd rather sell $20 batteries. This is bad for the user, especially the enthusiast user who has a battery collection, but also for the casual user. A casual user has a decent chance of finding a battery that will work in other high-drain lights like the Armytek Wizard XHP50 and upcoming Prime XHP35 and Zebralight SC600 XHP50. In a few years when this abomination is out of production, they'll have no chance of finding a replacement battery for it.

This is bad, Nitecore should feel bad and nobody should buy a TM03. Death to proprietary batteries.
+1

I do not collect flashlight history and will not be buying this one trick pony.

Propitiatory batteries may be more frequent as more high powered batteries and falshlights enter a general market. The combination of product liability and greed will be the reason for this change.

Last edited: