Are these 26650's any good?

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm not sure how to read these graphs but I am looking for a good set of 26650's to run in a Convoy L6 XHP70 3800 lumens. hard to find a set that fits but I think these fit. The link below shows graphs for the cells, any help would be greatly appreciated, I bought the light a couple weeks ago and still haven't found a battery the fits or and works right.

http://m.banggood.com/INR26650E-Pro...on-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery-p-914802.html

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
Don't buy those. Note there is no brand name or anything mentioned, you will moste likely get cheap noname cells of questionable quality and capacity.

Advice regarding LiIon cells is always the same: buy only from the large manufacturers with a proven track record: Panasonic/Sanyo, LG, Samsung, Sony (or from companies that use those cells and add their own branding + protection circuit).

Last edited:

CuriousOne

Enlightened
There are no 26650s available from Sony, LG, Samsung, etc.

Panasonic has only ancient 26650 with 2600mAh capacity :)

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I was browsing through a shop-and-swap website for local deals and idly typed in "lithium battery". One of the ads was for 26650 lithium ion batteries, made by A123 Systems. I was surprised to see these - I thought A123 only sold to EV manufacturers, and wasn't there some kind of recall? Can't tell from the photos if these are new production or old cells. They are marked ANR26650M1A and bear an Underwriters logo, but I can't make out a date code. The picture might not represent the actual cells, either, I suppose.

Do A123 Systems cells have any kind of reputation among flashlight users?

Bill

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing through a shop-and-swap website for local deals and idly typed in "lithium battery". One of the ads was for 26650 lithium ion batteries, made by A123 Systems. I was surprised to see these - I thought A123 only sold to EV manufacturers, and wasn't there some kind of recall? Can't tell from the photos if these are new production or old cells. They are marked ANR26650M1A and bear an Underwriters logo, but I can't make out a date code. The picture might not represent the actual cells, either, I suppose.

Do A123 Systems cells have any kind of reputation among flashlight users?

Bill
http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm

This seems to be a low capacity cell and are made for 'Commercial truck and bus hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs)'.

terjee

Enlightened
Although I have no experience with 26650 lights, I'm planning on getting one, so I've started to read up a bit. At this point, the protected Keeppower 26650 5200mAh looks like the best choice (IMHO at least). Note that there are two Keeppower 26650 5200mAh ones, one IMR, the other protected.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Although I have no experience with 26650 lights, I'm planning on getting one, so I've started to read up a bit. At this point, the protected Keeppower 26650 5200mAh looks like the best choice (IMHO at least). Note that there are two Keeppower 26650 5200mAh ones, one IMR, the other protected.

Only problem is the protected keep power is 71mm at times and does not fit in the Convoy L6

ok, thanks guys, Aparently those cells are a no go.

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
Try Liitokala 5000mAh cell.
It is a good cell, and some members at the other forum like them over the more expensive Efest purple, Keeppower black or Vappower IMR.
Caveat is some members can get them to work in series inside Convoy L6 while some members have to add magnet as they are flat top cell.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I also ordered these LiitoKala 5000mAh cells recently, they are on the road, but gearbest shipped them to US using Czech post(!) have no idea when it will arrive :)

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Try Liitokala 5000mAh cell.
It is a good cell, and some members at the other forum like them over the more expensive Efest purple, Keeppower black or Vappower IMR.
Caveat is some members can get them to work in series inside Convoy L6 while some members have to add magnet as they are flat top cell.
I like the Liitokala's but not working in a series was neg for me. I went with Un protected keep powers.

akhyar

Enlightened
I like the Liitokala's but not working in a series was neg for me. I went with Un protected keep powers.

As I don't need them to run in series, they are good enough for me.
You can also buy the button-top converters that Simon Mao of Convoy has in his AE store to make the flat top cells to run in series.

I almost bought the Keeppowers IMR but some members told me to save my money and get the Liitokala instead.
I prefer the Liitokala over the Vappower IMR that HKJ has tested.

Buying 26650 cells are not as straight forward as buying 18650 cells...
You don't know what is the base cells used or who made them

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Buying 26650 cells are not as straight forward as buying 18650 cells...
You don't know what is the base cells used or who made them

Your not kidding....And 32650's are even harder, I just finished that long search the other day, the decision wasn't difficult in the end as Feilong were the stand out choice for 32650's.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Is not it possible to replace 32650 with 2x 16650 side by side? at least, 16650's are available from Sanyo, 2600mAh, high current. So you should get 5200mah and 20amp current capability - not bad.

akhyar

Enlightened
Your not kidding....And 32650's are even harder, I just finished that long search the other day, the decision wasn't difficult in the end as Feilong were the stand out choice for 32650's.

Lucky for me I still don't have any flashlight that uses 32650.
When that day comes, I'll for your opinions... :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused: Adventure Sport Flashlights is bundling them with the Convoy L6, so I sure hope they fit.
I have a few of these batteries and depending who and when manufactured the length has been just under 70mm to 71.1mm.

The problem a flashlight like the L6 which use two batteries in series is two 26650 batteries together can very from 130mm to 140.2mm. :caution:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there are two versions of the protected KeepPower 26650 5200mAh battery. The old one is longer, and (reportedly) will not fit in the Convoy L6 flashlight. The new version is shorter, and it (reportedly) does fit.

When I was in the Illumn store last week, I asked about this battery. I was told that the current stock at Illumn is the longer one that is a tight fit in the L6. Illumn is planning to stock the shorter one in the near future.

If you contact your vendor, it should be able to confirm which version of the protected KeepPower 26650 5200mAh battery it is selllng.