Mounted Off Road 12V lights

incision

Newly Enlightened
After reading some of the posts I realized how much I don't know about lights. I want 2 very bright spot lights to mount on the front of an off road vehicle.

I already have a wide variety of LED light bars, and pretty much everything Amazon offers in terms of HID's. I have a pair from ARB, and several lights from Larson Electronics. I am not sure if I should be looking for something off the shelf, or custom, and I am hoping for some advice.

My needs are:

1.) About $1,500 for both or no more than about $750.00 per light.
2.) Mountable.
3.) 12V
4.) Spot lights not flood, I am looking for the maximum distance for my money, I cannot imagine a light that shines too far.
5.) Durable, i.e. they must tolerate vibration and an occasional wack from a branch, but I will build a cage to protect them.
6.) Reasonable power draw. I have a double 12v battery set up with a 60 Amp alternator.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.) Durable, i.e. they must tolerate vibration and an occasional wack from a branch, but I will build a cage to protect them.

If the "cage to protect them" includes a grille/wire mesh or some such in front of the lens, the lights will be rendered "inoperative" in the practical sense. Those will destroy the beam pattern.

incision

Newly Enlightened
If the "cage to protect them" includes a grille/wire mesh or some such in front of the lens, the lights will be rendered "inoperative" in the practical sense. Those will destroy the beam pattern.

Thanks, I have already made that mistake. Nothing directly in front.

Sadden

Enlightened
Check out the fyrlyt nemisis 9000. Should come out well under budget. Ideal for an offroad vehicle as they are easily rebuildable, with a sacrificial lense. And an adjustable beam pattern.

24v 250w halogen goodness.

Sadden

Enlightened
They come with a 12-24v converter. Or you can step down to the nemisis 5000 which is 12v.

Sadden

Enlightened
More than doubling the current they require. Ouch.

10.4a per lamp for the 9000 by my calculation, although I am exceptionally poor at electrical mathematics. But I feel that its worth it. If i had known 3 years ago what i know now i would have these instead of a 20" rigid...

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 amp alternator. How much does the vehicle need ? What is the vehicle ?
If its a pickup truck,
60 amps will not leave much current left over.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Just don't get the colored covers that claim to reshape the beam. "Spot/Euro combo cover" and the like. *THAT* stuff is stupid, but in a bad way.
Who buys that crap anyhow?
I've seen these lights demo'd. Remarkable.

60 amp alternator. How much does the vehicle need ? What is the vehicle ?
If its a pickup truck,
60 amps will not leave much current left over.
I can't imagine what he's driving. I've got a 160 amp alternator in my Jeep...

fastgun

Enlightened
Yeah but the 1985 CIBIE catalog proclaims their driving lights projects a beam "with useable light perhaps over a mile".
Perhaps.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Hilldweller, I have top respect for your opinions, especially because of those well-done headlamp comparisons you've done, but I don't have much respect for the company that makes those lights you're recommending. No matter how many times I click the "Specifications" tab on that page, no specifications are forthcoming. No lumens within the beam. No peak intensity. Not even a rough angular description of the beam. All I see is the handwaving about a "90 watt top-binned LED" and "IRIS reflector technology" and the meaningless claim of "3,280 feet of usable light". Says who? The same mysterious person who's defining "usable light" without telling us what they mean by it? Oh, but they have plenty of time and space to babble about polycarbonate covers (in blue and in red and in other colors, too, oh boy!) that are claimed to produce a variety of beams including "Euro" (no such beam, this doesn't mean anything) and "Combo" (this doesn't mean anything either...combo of what and what?).

When a company puts out a bunch of bafflegab and hype but withholds any and all actual information, it gives me that creepy-crawly feeling like I'm being lied to.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Hilldweller, I have top respect for your opinions, especially because of those well-done headlamp comparisons you've done, but I don't have much respect for the company that makes those lights you're recommending. No matter how many times I click the "Specifications" tab on that page, no specifications are forthcoming. No lumens within the beam. No peak intensity. Not even a rough angular description of the beam. All I see is the handwaving about a "90 watt top-binned LED" and "IRIS reflector technology" and the meaningless claim of "3,280 feet of usable light". Says who? The same mysterious person who's defining "usable light" without telling us what they mean by it? Oh, but they have plenty of time and space to babble about polycarbonate covers (in blue and in red and in other colors, too, oh boy!) that are claimed to produce a variety of beams including "Euro" (no such beam, this doesn't mean anything) and "Combo" (this doesn't mean anything either...combo of what and what?).

When a company puts out a bunch of bafflegab and hype but withholds any and all actual information, it gives me that creepy-crawly feeling like I'm being lied to.
Valid, valid.
But I've seen them working and they're godlights. They did a demo for us 2 years ago and lit up a hillside like a UFO was landing on it.
There are no boxing gloves for offroad lights. It's just pure b-movie bloodsport.

Sadden

Enlightened
I guess noone has really asked what kind of speeds you plan on using these lights at. Some of the new rigid stuff is really good, although alot their stuff is not...

I have driven behind the light cannons a few times now, they are def bright, BUT I cannont stand their marketing, everythime I get in a vehicle with a light cannon I am pulling off some kind of blue/green/purple/muave/whatever colored diffuser/euro/flood obstruction bullshit to make them work properly... My favorite was a guy who had two red spot covers pointed at the ditch and two blue spread covers pointed straight ahead, made some wierd colors for about 50 feet... Once I took that garbage off and aimed them correctly for him they were fandiddly tastic.