How easy would it be to swap emitters on an Icon Rogue?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was changing the cell on one of my Icon Rogues today, and glanced at the rear of the head assembly. It looks like it would be very easy to disassemble. Have any of you disassembled the head, and if so what did it look like? I would really like to change to a Nichia 219B emitter if I could.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Won't be easy, unfortunately, I totally destroyed one to check out what kind of driver it uses. It uses firmware-defined boost-buck converter, however. I just retired another one due to Cree XR-E LED losing much of its original brightness. I may attempt emitter swap at some point.

Why is it hard? Thread lock in the retaining ring holding in pill stuck, and special hard-cure glue in most of spot in the pills, entombing the driver solid in place. It's possible to loosen things up however, unfortunately it means being a friend with heat gun. Wear the heat glove while doing this. If you succeed, I will spare you some headache - the MCPCB is about 10 - 14mm round in diameter (14mm Cree XP-L Sinkpad would work), if I am wrong, make it 16mm - compare Cree MCPCB with the original one. Also, Lens is PMMA or Lexan, if I remember correctly - so for some folks, it's desirable to change to glass lens.

Last edited:

Latest posts