Info needed

Jajee

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a new light. I currently have a Jetbeam BC25 (about 4 years old) and I love the thing. I actually have 2, but time goes on and I am interested in another. I love the water resistant nature and shock "proof" that the jetbeam offers. It says 650lm, and I didn't measure but tests I have seen showed it was close. It is bright, but I want something a little brighter and durable. I was hoping to get some insight on what are the best manufacturers and maybe models. I know this won't be cheap but you get what you pay for. Thanks ahead of time.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at a Malkoff Hound Dog, they do one that runs on a single 18650, or another model that will fit a 3 or 4 cell (Cr123) body. Obviously you can use Lo-ions as well.
Durable, shock resistant and water resistant. Just 2 modes which are mechanically switched by twisting the head. Not a lot to go wrong.
900 Lumens sustained, with a good throw and useful spill. My 18650 Hound is my go to light for after dark activities.
Plus Malkoff give a lifetime warranty and they are just great people to deal with.
P

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am going to get flamed for this but Armytek. The only IP68 rated mass produced lights I know of. I have 10. As long as you get one that was built when they were having a good QC day you should be very happy with it. Submersible to several meters, drop resistant to several meters, best optics and glare coat there is etc. The mid sized AT's take an amazing 4 cell types. Dealing with AT is well...I should shut up there Ill just say getting 10 straight lights from them was like pulling teeth.

OP Should you be interested I have 3 Viking Pro V3's. Would be more than happy to sell one at a very good discount.

Jajee

Newly Enlightened
Not sure i want to take a chance with good and bad qc days.

Jajee

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate the responses. Yeah I'm willing to spend a little to get something I will enjoy and not break on me.

parametrek

Enlightened
Besides the standard IP68, all of Armytek's lights are also 10 meter impact tested. Their line of throwers (Dobermann, Viking, Predator, Barracuda) are all rated for 30 meter drops. And every light they make claims waterproofing to 100 meters depth.

There are a few other companies who make lights that can take that sort of abuse, but which of them actually stand behind it in writing?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
when it comes to AT just buy off a reliable online retailer do NOT buy off the AT site. Stick to reputable sites and you will be fine.

MX421

Enlightened
I know I am going to get flamed for this but Armytek. The only IP68 rated mass produced lights I know of. I have 10. As long as you get one that was built when they were having a good QC day you should be very happy with it. Submersible to several meters, drop resistant to several meters, best optics and glare coat there is etc. The mid sized AT's take an amazing 4 cell types. Dealing with AT is well...I should shut up there Ill just say getting 10 straight lights from them was like pulling teeth.

OP Should you be interested I have 3 Viking Pro V3's. Would be more than happy to sell one at a very good discount.

Will agree with you on this, if you get a good one, they are very tough lights.

Besides the standard IP68, all of Armytek's lights are also 10 meter impact tested. Their line of throwers (Dobermann, Viking, Predator, Barracuda) are all rated for 30 meter drops. And every light they make claims waterproofing to 100 meters depth.

There are a few other companies who make lights that can take that sort of abuse, but which of them actually stand behind it in writing?

Not sure if i would trust the "in writing" part, much less the "hassle free". I've had some experience with them on the hassle free partr and can vouch that i felt hassled.

when it comes to AT just buy off a reliable online retailer do NOT buy off the AT site. Stick to reputable sites and you will be fine.

Luckily on the above problems, i was also backed by a dealer. Turns out the mail lost the return though, so go figure... Do a search on here for people who have had issues. Me, I've been lucky on all but two of my AT lights and the solutions came from the US dealers NOT armytek.