Absolute Brightest

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfw

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of the absolute brightest aftermarket off-roading light, and am actually having a hard time finding an answer. It seems years ago the **** Cepek C-1000/210w/1 million candlepower lights were the best. Unfortunately, they are no longer obtainable. Does anyone happen to know what light is now the raining champ, LED/Xeon/or otherwise. I am not bias. The help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Even if it were easy to find an answer for that question (which is the absolute brightest), there are so many other factors here-- beam type, quality of materials, DOT compliance or ECE type approval (in case you want to also use them on the highway when appropriate).

fastgun

Enlightened
nsfw, if bright is the goal, I think I would consider something by Megaray. Their products will go on a vehicle but not in a conventional way.
They produce vehicle mounted lights that shine a light with a measured 3.125 to 7 lux at 1,000 meters. Thats pretty bright.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The reason why an answer is difficult to find is because "Brightest" isn't anywhere near specific enough. It's a fun exercise to look for the lights that produce the most flux in beam, but that doesn't really inform as to how useful the light is going to be. To answer that question you need to talk in terms of candela and angles, and/or lux at distances. More practically important than how much light you have is where that light is directed.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also note that some manufacturers come up with their LED output levels based on things like the LED manufacturer's spec sheet, and other numbers seem to come out of a bowl of Alpha-Bits.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
We've gone through many off road lights on our vehicles.

What style of light are you looking for? Road use or trail use? Top mounted? Bar lights? Round?

Many many factors come into play here.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, what are you driving? That can help us find something that can mount conveniently and *possibly* even look good. If it's a Jeep of some kind, Hilldweller here might have some input.

nsfw

Newly Enlightened
We've gone through many off road lights on our vehicles.

What style of light are you looking for? Road use or trail use? Top mounted? Bar lights? Round?

Many many factors come into play here.

Primarily off-road with occasional extremely rural road driving where other traffic is a non factor. I am going to mount them behind the grill of my car so round lights or a short light bar would be fine as I will fit them accordingly. After reading through I can see how my question is quite broad and perhaps a bit silly. But for the limited space I have for mounting and how I plan to mount them I wanted to purchase the most powerful lights out there. I would assume a driving or flood beam would be appropriate for my intended application and use. Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Primarily off-road with occasional extremely rural road driving where other traffic is a non factor. I am going to mount them behind the grill of my car so round lights or a short light bar would be fine as I will fit them accordingly. After reading through I can see how my question is quite broad and perhaps a bit silly. But for the limited space I have for mounting and how I plan to mount them I wanted to purchase the most powerful lights out there. I would assume a driving or flood beam would be appropriate for my intended application and use. Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.

The concepts to consider here involve how far away you want to see what, and, how fast you might be going.

For example, the "brighter a light is" can mean bright , in lux or cd, which tells you how far away will be lit up (Any one still telling you candle power is almost guaranteed to be using bogus numbers btw), or, in lumens.

Think of the lumen output as the total AMOUNT of light, and the cd or lux as how far the beam can light things up.

IE: A lot of lumens (The spec many light bars favor) can produce a flood of bright light right in front of you, so its fine for low speed crawling, but, your pupils, etc, are so stopped down, that you can't see much OUTSIDE of the bright pool of close light.

A high cd spec means the beam can light things up at a distance, but, doesn't tell you how large an area is lit up at that distance.

The bean angle gives you the other piece of the puzzle, as it describes the shape of the beam, and allows computing its width at any given distance.

So, if two lights have the same lumens, but one has a higher cd, the lumens are concentrated into a smaller area to produce the higher cd.

And so forth.

So, how fast might you be going, and, what level of detail would you need to/want to be able to resolve how far away?

:D

nsfw

Newly Enlightened
The information/short education is truly appreciated. I will be traveling mostly at highway like speeds say 70mph (+/-)10. As far as detail/range I would like to see far out enough that in a non-light polluted/pitch dark area the light will reach out enough to illuminate any hazards ahead that I may stop in time to avoid said obstacle.

P.S. I am definitely not afraid of "overkill" when it would come to a lighting solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primarily off-road with occasional extremely rural road driving where other traffic is a non factor.
Other traffic or not, there are other aspects of off-road lights that make them wholly unsuitable for road use at freeway speeds.

I am going to mount them behind the grill of my car so round lights or a short light bar would be fine as I will fit them accordingly.
Might as well not even HAVE them, mounted behind a grille like that.

I will be traveling mostly at highway like speeds say 70mph (+/-)10.
Sure, "off-road".

I would assume a driving or flood beam would be appropriate for my intended application and use.
Those beam styles are for different applications and uses. You're speccing lights that have no business being used on a public road, and mounting them behind a grille, where they will do no good anyway. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.