Mini USB Rechargeable Keychain/EDC Flashlight ~200 -300 Lumens

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking around on the forum postings but have struggled to find a light around the same size as the MECArmy IllumineX-4 but smaller than the Surefire Sidekick but that also charges via USB and is closer to 200-250ish lumens. I work in IT in areas where I can't always carry a phone so it would nice to top off the light with micro usb since all the ones I have seen have a run time around 30 mins. If anyone has any recommendations, I greatly appreciate your help and experience/advice!

GODOFWAR

Banned
I have been looking around on the forum postings but have struggled to find a light around the same size as the MECArmy IllumineX-4 but smaller than the Surefire Sidekick but that also charges via USB and is closer to 200-250ish lumens. I work in IT in areas where I can't always carry a phone so it would nice to top off the light with micro usb since all the ones I have seen have a run time around 30 mins. If anyone has any recommendations, I greatly appreciate your help and experience/advice!

Don't ever buy mecarmy

Poppy

Flashaholic
key chain lights are small, no larger than a AAA light.
To output 200-300 lumens in a AAA sized light, you will need to use a LiIon 10440 battery.

I don't know of any USB rechargeable lights in that category. If you need extended run-times a simple solution is to carry spare batteries.

Gearbest had some BLF 348 stainless lights with a high cri nichia led, made by SingFire which would have been ideal. You might want to check with them to see if they will be getting them back in stock.

High CRI leds render colors more accurately, which may be important to you.

You might consider the EagleTac D25AAA. It can be had with the nichia 92 CRI led.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
200-250ish lumens. I work in IT i… I have seen .. a run time around 30 mins.

you may want to reconsider if your initial assumptions and expectations are practical and realistic

1. 200 lumens is too bright to use indoors for close work
2. running a light on HIGH for more than 5 minutes tends to get pretty hot.
3. runtime on small lights is limited by the size of the battery

I agree with the suggestion to consider the TIP, and I particularly encourage you to include HIGH CRI as a feature in whatever light you choose. fwiw the TIP claims to use NoPWM, while the sidekick and MecArmy offerings use PWM. PWM is a type of strobe, I avoid lights that use it.

If runtime is an issue, I also agree that carrying a spare battery and an AAA light could be effective. For example, the AAA Lumintop Tool can be had with a Nichia LED. The light has a reversible pocket clip which makes it useful clipped to a hat as an improvised headlamp to free your hands.

Personally, every time I put a light on my keychain, I end up taking it off because it is easier to hold, both in my hand or mouth, without the extra weight of keys, and I dont want the added weight on my ignition.

I find the Medium mode sufficient for most things I do with a flashlight indoors. Medium mode has MUCH longer runtime than High, and does not overheat. I am a big fan of rechargeable Eneloop batteries.

here is a Titanium Lumintop Tool, when I had it on my keys, note I created a quick release option, I find that important

_KQ1O7bLSkbJZZQRHO1Im4ClCqNbd7RSE3is66qUGQ3P4UOrUOaZQ2rCrfVE80pbWn5r_8mD9JAZ_dxCOt9ERRFu0DyGAVzufXzCB--ZBo6kL0xj9hnp_zmVO-A5XdsjdRq9rPYPva_eG_Ae8ph1rvNnNBOnBQrYJkr1Ne_zPPzjCDOVwVHsLLe5XPWki88o2uCHQJXGmM98CSG9PcE1cUnW5AONehuFpDq_Dh4BY32JNn5VwZKJqHfpG5N0_JSr98d0d9Dsrp0pFYA1IwL230tJPqA0hlI6gTEEgR8RgypDUGmqJYwXm1MTNd0ojUeNQ7yuTovXB1nv5Jr0OtgQqAmZy6lXmZNdqkxhICFPpYZDHreIgcXsMtkwhKtUV1aCdS8Ix3DssRFNe6frqudH0DrJIIlfefLWk85w3SIGR1zIGcwvjbK-AORNzIXlzWNUSMYZEqxfJGjxUk_N_KfcanbIj38PWPcM7NZKBE1xq9R8PHXYqz5xrNaSyjDrBVL1So7A9hSt08Z_xtP0Tmtz6O9tXBJ5Oy9YcNqJe7AGLsO5H4SG_SxaoRwQ_7uoEjTnMyey0D5v6n6zpWsOcLgS_pvmRvnmBfXfiRqmfWaJSkl-XMHU=w674-h899-no

The TiTool has a reversible pocket clip, which allows it to be worn as a headlamp, on a baseball cap. I dont have a pic of that, but here is a copper tool in that application
-j8lJzAKCkXMGCsujdIWgZu5IHJJkdaPPagAJamudpedAC8k-2W2DiNJbliwFlv41SV_lzdjsCegRjmiTPEYaGF1sNkYxv_GjIN4hnvQJFJvRjM8I13uqdSkhWvX9X_HYW_d1xPI8bVTVsJrXDHfZefK3EkGqjYFDVkBdnBlechHmqgLeI2lklGshJJji6DiROGJmRYETU7foUGZ8bgofmVRJ2eHfc4GNQdJ5HRYkaxcUM7Y5_YFoEHOIyduYaLkiugUFfn1BNIuIRPfm2IuZVgTY_wnL64uYrWo7MB4wFGvZvGibD1KYUG1H1xE30Tmv3462Bouvetu62Jvp6zw0knjlymjP8vtpkCoX8LnNf1X7Yri7OEMm7mlQ5i6l4NtHnMEW009eLRNP4Yl5n2Pmj4OfntnBLXFtY7k0JaSJjFcUf4FQDpOPcFZgY9cDmBVfIU4BmcFZO8mStdP3xwg3n46-yuozkZGyeOTov7XracpEG50jqdMI68j6RJoKwTd7vnC0gs-yXO5pYv4xfeE0fGzxjiELNFAMySgfx-zJh_4IMnBEB_-4FBgYVRt2a16LxPokkvBxE3hIAXErW_8TvebqZAYp1nZ8xbOcJGDEeYYr2vF=w674-h899-no

I also like the pocket clip because it stops the light from rolling off a table when I set it down. The Ti version will also tailstand, for ceiling bounce light distribution.

The TIP has no pocket clip for use on a hat, but it is brighter for short bursts on High, and is considerably less heavy than a Lumintop Tool. I think the TIP has great potential, it has just been announced, nobody has received one yet. I like the USB charging feature and if you dont expect to run it for long periods on High it is very bright, plus on Medium it has much longer runtime.

good luck with your decision, I hope you share impressions of whatever you end up with.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'd go with either:

- the Lumentop Tool with a 10440 in it and please note that after use with a 10440 it will no longer work with a regular AAA battery;

- the Lumentop Tool with a spare regular AAA (or Eneloop!) on my person or in my go bag;

or

- the new Nitecore TIP, which, as mentioned, has not yet been reviewed.

If you need some time to evaluate these choices, consider buying the Nitecore Tube ($9.99), which at only 45-lumens, can still be a lot of fun.

I very much like the MecArmy SGN3 as a lanyard light, but not for the keychain, due to its weight (it eventually could mess up your ignition) and because I've found it on in my pocket a few times; hopefully they'll redesign it with a recessed (concave) on-switch instead of a protruding one.

I very much like Poppy's Eagletac D25AAA suggestion. I own that light, it is very lightweight, is equipped with a magnet, can tail stand, and it's various beacon modes are really neat.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I like the Tip suggestion but I agree that it would be a good idea to wait until there are some reviews out for the TIP. Running time is most important, I just figured that if I found a light with a very high option it would work great for nighttime walks as well as when I am at work.

Don't ever buy mecarmy

I am curious about the remark by GODOFWAR regarding MecArmy, are their products substandard? If I for now just wanted to replace my MecArmy Illuminex-4 with something of higher quality but same form-factor and feature set, what would be a good light/brand?
Thanks!

Last edited: