1100 2500

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I currently have an LED Lenser P7.2 and really like it (WHEN it's at max brightness); the problem is it's only ever at max brightness for the first few minutes after having new batteries - and that just won't do!

I've read a few threads on CPF with a view to trying to use rechargeable AAA batteries in it, and came across the Panasonic Eneloop batteries.
Threads (and LL recommendations) suggest rechargeables are not suitable for the P7, and though I can't find anything specifically relating to the P7.2 I'd guess the answer is the same.
HOWEVER - some posts suggest people use rechargeables all the time and have no issues!

Can I use Eneloops?
If so - What mAh should I get per battery?

Ideally I'd like to be able to use some kind of rechargeables in my P7.2, that are going to have a high light output for the duration of their charge, instead of dimming throughout the depletion, BUT, if that is a 100% no-go, I need a new torch recommendation. My "recommendation" questionnaire is below:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

X
This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to £25.
X Up to £50.
X Up to £100.
____Up to £200.
____Up to £300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
XI want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
X TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
XSMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

*Will be kept on a tac-vest or belt, so can be short and fat (like the P7.2), or slightly longer and thinner (like perhaps a Thrunite TN12).*

5) Emitter/Light source:

XLED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

XI want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
X I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
X I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
XI don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
X I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
X I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
X I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
X I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
X I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

*Area searching* - P7.2 is "okay" for what I "need" (but again, only at "full charge") More light than the P7.2 is fine, but less isn't.

X SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
X Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
X Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
X Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
X Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

*I like the "zoom" type option on the P7.2. It's rare I use the "wide flood" type option, but regularly use the "throw" option for searching*

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
X Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
X 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
X 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
X 50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

*I can always use a smaller torch for close-up "room" searching, it's the outdoors use I'm after*

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
X 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

*I can carry a spare set of batteries (currently carry 4x AAA spares), but not a lot as it'll have to be "on me".*

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
X Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

*The P7.2 is VERY reliable in my opinion - if not for the batteries/brightness issue, I'd be very happy keeping it*

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
X I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
X I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
X I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
X I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

*P7.2 has a tail button - this is perfect for me, but I'm open to something else within the above selection at a push*

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
X I don't know.

*P7.2 has 2 modes plus "hold" turbo mode. This is enough for me but I'm open to a couple of extra levels if the torch itself is right*

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
X Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
X Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
X Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
X IPX4 (Splash resistant)
X IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

*Only really has to withstand heavy rain, I don't intend to take it swimming!*

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
X Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

*As aforementioned - kept in a tac-vest or belt*

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
X Pocket/belt clip
X Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Thanks in advance!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you are after batteries or a new torch.

Just use NiMh (Low Self Discharge) or Lithium primaries in the Led Lenser. It'll work better for longer. Alkaline batteries are just dreadful and suffer massive voltage drop, which is why they are rubbish in things like digital cameras.

There is nothing wrong with the Lenser, it's a good torch, even if some people on here don't 'get' them.

If you want longer runtimes then you'll need a different battery format. But it really depends what your use is, if you are using it for long periods of time, then you'll probably want something different to frequent burst use.

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1100 2500 (no idea why the thread has been renamed to this???)

Just use NiMh (Low Self Discharge) or Lithium primaries in the Led Lenser. It'll work better for longer. Alkaline batteries are just dreadful and suffer massive voltage drop, which is why they are rubbish in things like digital cameras.

Thanks a lot for this; this is what I was hoping might be possible. I do like my lenser!

Is there any particular mAh I should be looking for? I've seen Panasonic Eneloops in a 750mAh or 930mAh. I don't know which would be best?

Thanks!

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened

Thanks a lot for this; this is what I was hoping might be possible. I do like my lenser!

Is there any particular mAh I should be looking for? I've seen Panasonic Eneloops in a 750mAh or 930mAh. I don't know which would be best?

Thanks!

The reason I ask is I've no idea about what mAh gives off what amount of run time. i.e. 750mAh x4 batteries = XX runtime? / 930mAh x4 batteries = XX runtime?

I understand the more mAh the more runtime, but I don't know how long or which of the 2 eneloops I should go for?

Thanks!

ven

Flashaholic

I have sanyo eneloop AAA's in my t7.2 and work fine, you will get a flatter output curve from the direct drive over *beep* alki cells.

For a good all round 18650 light, will throw a few popular choices in the ring. Cheaper end but still good, the convoy s2+, choice of mode groups and tint options, from warm to cool. More expensive, the Fenix pd35(any edition), regulated and will give you a nice constant output(not at max though as it will step down from turbo). If you wanted to push your budget, then check out the zebralight mkIII with the xhp35/HI. Places like flashaholics in the UK did have stock(not sure if they still do).

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened

I have sanyo eneloop AAA's in my t7.2 and work fine, you will get a flatter output curve from the direct drive over *beep* alki cells.

For a good all round 18650 light, will throw a few popular choices in the ring. Cheaper end but still good, the convoy s2+, choice of mode groups and tint options, from warm to cool. More expensive, the Fenix pd35(any edition), regulated and will give you a nice constant output(not at max though as it will step down from turbo). If you wanted to push your budget, then check out the zebralight mkIII with the xhp35/HI. Places like flashaholics in the UK did have stock(not sure if they still do).

Thanks Ven!

What capacity eneloops do you use?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason I ask is I've no idea about what mAh gives off what amount of run time. i.e. 750mAh x4 batteries = XX runtime? / 930mAh x4 batteries = XX runtime?

I understand the more mAh the more runtime, but I don't know how long or which of the 2 eneloops I should go for?

Thanks!
The first thing with NiMH is, you probably want low self discharge batteries. These will hold 70% of their charge for around 3 years, I.e. Charge them up and leave them in a draw and they will still have loads of power in them.

Non low self discharge NiMH can go flat in 2 weeks or so.

Sanyo Eneloops are a good battery to buy, get them on Amazon, eBay etc.

mAh is the capacity of the battery, but it's more involved than that. LSD batteries might not have the highest mAh, but because they don't go flat being left, are probably the better bet in a torch.

You can buy different Sanyo Eneloops, some have higher capacity. These will give longer runtimes, but cost more to buy and will normally have less duty cycles (the number of times you can recharge them).

If max runtime is critical, then go for the higher capacity. But the amount of extra runtime might only be a handful of minutes or so (maybe more, but nothing extreme).

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened

The first thing with NiMH is, you probably want low self discharge batteries. These will hold 70% of their charge for around 3 years, I.e. Charge them up and leave them in a draw and they will still have loads of power in them.

Non low self discharge NiMH can go flat in 2 weeks or so.

Sanyo Eneloops are a good battery to buy, get them on Amazon, eBay etc.

mAh is the capacity of the battery, but it's more involved than that. LSD batteries might not have the highest mAh, but because they don't go flat being left, are probably the better bet in a torch.

You can buy different Sanyo Eneloops, some have higher capacity. These will give longer runtimes, but cost more to buy and will normally have less duty cycles (the number of times you can recharge them).

If max runtime is critical, then go for the higher capacity. But the amount of extra runtime might only be a handful of minutes or so (maybe more, but nothing extreme).

Thanks Drumstick!

I've seen 3 different LSD Panasonic Eneloops:

Panasonic Eneloop Pro 930mAh x4 = £7.99 (500 cycles)

Panasonic Eneloop 750mAh x8 = £10.75 (2100 cycles)

Panasonic Eneloop 1900mAh x8 = £11.99 (2100 cycles)

If I buy a pack of 8, that's 4 in the torch and 4 spare at any given time. So probably the Pro's are out of the picture there.

The question really is, do I go for 750mAh or 1900mAh? Cost difference would suggest the 1900's, but is it that simple?

Thanks!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I'd go for the normal Eneloops, the middle link you listed. Good price and lots of charge cycles. The Pro's do have more capacity. But tbh it's probably easier to just carry a spare set than worry about the extra runtime you might get with the Pros.

The last link are AA's not AAA's, hence the big hike in mAh ;)

:)

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened
Whoops! So they are!

Thanks - I'll go for a set of those then.

Are there certain chargers that need to be used, or will any nimh fast charger be ok?

Again I've seen a fair few:

UniRoss
Lloytron
7dayshop (this site seem well recommended on here)

If there's something else I should consider let me know!

Thanks

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much any. Depends how much you want to spend. Basic chargers will work, but may not be the best. I use an older Sanyo (they are all branded Panasonic now) Eneloop charger that charges each battery individually rather than many 4 bay units that charge in pairs. Also has the ability to quick charge a pair of batteries. They don't seem to make it anymore, but I'm guessing one of these must be an equivalent:
http://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/lineup.html#battery_chargers

But any brand charger will be fine tbh.

FlashLightMk2

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much any. Depends how much you want to spend. Basic chargers will work, but may not be the best. I use an older Sanyo (they are all branded Panasonic now) Eneloop charger that charges each battery individually rather than many 4 bay units that charge in pairs. Also has the ability to quick charge a pair of batteries. They don't seem to make it anymore, but I'm guessing one of these must be an equivalent:
http://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/lineup.html#battery_chargers

But any brand charger will be fine tbh.

Thanks again Drumstick!

I've been out and bought some eneloops this afternoon and now ordered a charger!

Can't wait to see them at work in my P7.2 now!

Cheers!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.

Remember Eneloops come pre-charged, they'll have ~70% charge in them already and can be used straight away... without charging.

ven

Flashaholic

Looking on the bright side after this small outlay, its as good as free to run now:party:

See how you get on, if it still does not cut the mustard, look at a regulated light that will sustain a set output for the duration.

If your happy well done!!! it has saved you getting on a very slippery slope..................but a brighter one! ;)