NEW XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus analyzing charger

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already, but XTAR's website has details on the forthcoming DRAGON VP4 Plus charger.
http://www.xtar.cc/products_detail/productId=155.html
This appears to be a 4 channel analyzing charger than can charge 10440 14500 14650 16340 17335 17500 17670 18350 18490 18500 18650 22650 25500 26650 32650 AAAA AAA AA A SC C D at either 0.5, 1, or 2A.
It can do charge, discharge, charge capacity measurements.
It can measure internal resistance.
It can even store results on a memory card.

I'm sure it won't be cheap, but expect it will be very popular on CPF!
It is good to finally see a charger with the analyzing functionality of the OPUS and Liitokala, but with XTAR's quality.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet, how many xtar chargers do we need! :twothumbs

Collins

Newly Enlightened
This is great! I had been looking around for a charger and wanted to get an Xtar 4 bay as they seem to be excellent quality, but wanted to be able to charge 4 batteries at 1 Amp instead of .5 Amp for 4.

So been looking around and was going to get their 2 bay Rocket, since it can charge at 2 Amp just in case I needed to charge at 2 Amps for some reason since it was just 2 bay.

I'll wait and get this charger instead.

Also looking at getting the Orbtronic 3500Mah 18650 battery.

Collins

Newly Enlightened
I do wish they would put the screen on the bottom. It just makes it easier to view the screen. Also better to put the screen at an angle.

ven

Flashaholic
Looks pretty much a must buy, few little gripes but not enough to put me off. Needs a lower rate, ideally would have also liked a 1.5a rate thrown in. Screen is too fussy, after all a 4 bay charger is never going to be small, would prefer if they added some width for a display above each channel. Save a fussy and not too friendly on the eye type screen..............Also a little extra size would aid any heat from using the 4 bays at 1a. Still i like it enough:) and it has a pretty cool name.....................well providing it does not end up breathing fire that is!!!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to wait on HKJ's review before pulling the trigger.

But hopefully this is a good one.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't state, and the picture doesn't show it, but in the description they keep going on about connecting a 3S battery pack, so I'm wondering if they have an XT-60 connector on the back or side... If not, how are these 3S battery packs to be connected?

"...main functions of DRAGON: battery pack ...charging..."
"It can intelligently distribute the power when charging your 11.1V/3s battery pack, ..."
"With 11.1V/3s port, DRAGON can charge your 11.1V/3s battery pack with 1.0A current in a balance way to make sure that all batteries of your battery pack can be fully charged."

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting, but strangely limited in some areas. The idea of including charging for 3S packs is cool and could be very useful, I hope in the end they do 2S packs as well.

Maybe the best thing will be the price, such that the VP4 plus will become the default recommended charger for newbies getting into flashlights since it covers a lot of the basics, includes some analysis, and even some advanced usage with different cell types, high charge rates, and battery-pack.

Still I'm hoping that after they finish this one they will announce the VP4 plus plus. Since the original VP2 and VP4 are a better style with better displays, and hopefully would have less limitations in charge current and voltage selection. However, since they decided to call this one "VP4 plus" I'm guessing I'm just dreaming on an extended version of the original VP2 (A true classic).

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more chargers than teeth. :sssh:

John.
I have 8 batteries in two LiitoKala 500's in the analyzer mode right now. I also have my GyrFalcon 8-bay charger filled with batteries. The 2-bay VP4 is taking a break. I recently gave away a LiitoKala 500 to my son.

Maybe I should have stuck to flashlights that only have to be shaken, LOL.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the current VC4, but I wish it had a 0.25A charge rate. I think that 0.5A is just a little too much for my 10440 cells. I essentially bought a VP2 just for charging my 10440s because it does have a 0.25A rate. It is just a bonus that it also will do LiFePO4 cells as well as 4.3v cells.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no need of the .25A charge rate, but I just ordered a VP2 too because I have need of a charger I can use in my work vehicle. When the 18650 lights I use on the job run flat, I can charge up a pair of 18650's as I travel between jobs.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no need of the .25A charge rate, but I just ordered a VP2 too because I have need of a charger I can use in my work vehicle. When the 18650 lights I use on the job run flat, I can charge up a pair of 18650's as I travel between jobs.
In mobile use, just make sure the voltage termination switch on the back does not get moved.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave a rough inventory of my lights, chargers, compliment of batteries, and power banks; I have an equal amount of each.

I am always in the market for good chargers, batteries, power banks, and flashlights and usually in that order.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Interesting charger...

Some features missing, making room for a version 2. :devil:

1. As someone above mentioned, a 1 and 2 cell lipo pack capability would have been nice... not just a 3 cell.

2. Also as someone mentioned earlier, a lower output for those tiny cells.

3. The ability to select a "storage" charge... as in charge or discharge to a 70%ish charge when batteries will not be used for a while. This is a common feature on hobby chargers.... why not on a do everything charger like this one?

I'll still be in the market for one of these if it lives up to its specs.. but those 3 missing features would have made it so much better, and if they do bring it out, I guess I'll be in the market for one of those too.

Regards

Christian

akhyar

Enlightened
Xtar build quality with the functions of Opus BT C3100/Liitokala Lii500.
I'm in

Latest posts