2017: Jeep Wrangler won't make you go aftermarket for LED headlights.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I was thinking about getting one but decided I'd rather go for gas mileage and other features. I love Jeeps though.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres hoping they dont ice up...
They will, just like they do on my '01 Corolla. Like they did on my '65 Dart, '76 Corolla, and '87 Corolla. They did it on my '95 Previa. Just like they do on every vehicle parked outside in freezing rain, or driven into freezing rain. This is a problem that the vehicle lighting makers are aware of, but there are various methods of deicing LED headlamps, from convective methods with fans in the lamp assemblies, to wire grids, to 'printed on' solutions. But it's definitely not true that halogen headlamps are totally immune to icing, or can completely de-ice themselves every time.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
That was the biggest complaint I had whenever I turned on the overhead light bar on my cop car---the new-fangled LED light bars wouldn't melt/thaw the ice/snow/slush/etc like the old fashioned incandescent bar did. At least with the old bar, during a traffic stop or at a crash scene, I knew within a minute or two the bar would have "thawed" itself off. Not so with the new light bars.
A guy could make a million bucks if he invented a "de-icer" strip to install on the various brand lights bars.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully, they won't be blue.
About time for a high-CRI, ~4000K CCT output. Perfect for the wilderness.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'd want lower than 4000K -- I'd prefer 3500K or 3000K -- but yes, it would be very nice if there were a high-CRI LED headlamp on the market.

Don't get your hopes up too high about the new Jeep item; it is a cost-prioritized (read: cheap) item from Magna, maker of minimally-technological headlamps almost completely devoid of innovation. Its low beam reflector is small, and its high beam optics are even smaller. And it is very likely in the 5700K to 6500K range, with typical poor CRI. There will be somersaults and celebrations about it, given how wretched the standard H13 headlamp is to drive with. But the existing good aftermarket options will probably continue to be very much better.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd want lower than 4000K -- I'd prefer 3500K or 3000K -- but yes, it would be very nice if there were a high-CRI LED headlamp on the market.
It'd take an extremely vocal market clamoring for the "old school" look, but there'd be a larger and more vocal market saying "just like natural daylight!" "factory blubs look to yellow!"*​

Don't get your hopes up too high about the new Jeep item; it is a cost-prioritized (read: cheap) item from Magna, maker of minimally-technological headlamps almost completely devoid of innovation. Its low beam reflector is small, and its high beam optics are even smaller. And it is very likely in the 5700K to 6500K range, with typical poor CRI. There will be somersaults and celebrations about it, given how wretched the standard H13 headlamp is to drive with. But the existing good aftermarket options will probably continue to be very much better.
FCA would have done very well to contract with JW Speaker on even a less-than-their-greatest headlamps, but then again, FCA seems to make dumb choices lately. Poor CRI and high blue content, no thanks!

*for realism​

Sadden

Enlightened
Im surprised noone has cracked open a set of aftermarket headlamps and swapped in some high CRI LEDS yet...

KXA

Newly Enlightened

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened

Would the 3000K or 3500K LED's necessarily have a higher CRI than the 6000K LED's?

I have 3000K-3500K LED's in some incandescent-replacement bulbs in use at home, and while the CCT appears indistinguishable from that of an incandescent bulb, I don't know if the CRI is any higher than the higher CCT LED's.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Would the 3000K or 3500K LED's necessarily have a higher CRI than the 6000K LED's?

I have 3000K-3500K LED's in some incandescent-replacement bulbs in use at home, and while the CCT appears indistinguishable from that of an incandescent bulb, I don't know if the CRI is any higher than the higher CCT LED's.
I think it depends on how they achieve the "temperature"...
Is the SPD improved or is there just a filter over it?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

No.

There is some high-CRI product on the home-lighting replacement bulb market, but no, you're right, what you have is probably like most of the offerings on the market: about 80 CRI.