Review Klarus Mi7:EDC, XP-L HI V3, max 700 lumens, 1 x AA/14500, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Also little lights get brighter. For some years ago, a maximum output of about 700 could only be found at mid-sized lights, but now a light that has the dimensions of a finger can do the same. A couple of weeks ago manufacturer Klarus launched the Mi7: a little "pocket-rocket" that has also a surprising interface. In this review I'll compare this light to some others, and let's see how the Mi7 performs both at AA and a 14500-cell. Let's have a look at this tiny Klarus!

the new Klarus Mi7
i53ar9.jpg

tiny but bright
23rjn6g.jpg

that has a XP-L HI V3 LED
fpc7k9.jpg

a nice EDC-torch
2w3cqcn.jpg

also a new 14500-cell, especially designed for the Mi7
10zvdjr.jpg

At first the features, given by Klarus:

• CREE XP-L HI V3 LED, up to 50,000 hours life
• Maximum output 700 Lumens; Maximum runtime 67 hours.
• Small and lightweight for everyday carry (26.4g without battery.)
• Battery Capacity Indication displays remaining power for easy monitoring
• One Touch Access to Moon-light and High output levels
• Unique high efficiency circuitwith broad voltage range to accommodate both AA (Primary/Rechargeable) and Li-ion 14500 batteries
• Constant Current Control with no PWM flash; suitable for photography illumination
• Over-Discharge Protection automatically lowers output levels to protect rechargeable batteries
• Lock-Out mode specially designed to prevent accidental activation of the flashlight
• Reverse Polarity Protection for ease of use
• Exclusive Stainless Steel switch; Elegant, Ergonomic, Easy to use
• Aerospace grade Aluminum Alloy body; CNC precision machining; Military grade
Hard Anodizing (HAIII) protection; Superior heat dissipation
• AR (Anti-Reflective) coated MineralLens hardened for scratch resistance
• IPX-8 water protection (2 meters submersible rating)

and the specifications:

• CREE XP-L HI V3 LED; 50,000 hours life
• 3 output levels2 strobe patterns
• Voltage Range: 1.0V – 4.2V
• Battery: AA x 1; Li-ion 14500×1
• Color: Black, Red, Blue
• Reflector: Orange Peel
• Switch: Side Switch
• Dimension
Bezel19mm (0.75"); Body 17.6mm (0.69"); Overall Length: 87.2mm (3.43")
• Weight: 26.4g (0.93oz) (without battery)
• Material: Aerospace Aluminum Alloy 6061-T6
• Protection: IPX-8 rating (up to 2 meters submersible)
• Lens: Hardened Mineral Glass; AR coated; Scratch resistant

and the output specs:
2sajqzd.jpg

Unboxing:

The Mi7 is packed in transparent box; to me the first time that a Klarus comes in a package like this, that I've seen earlier by another manufacturer… Mostly Klarus boxes are in black, red and white; this time the box has "pastel-looks". At the box the features, specifications and a runtime graph, inside we see a unless the manual a keyring, a carabiner and a lanyard. So, it's not over complete, but keep in mind that the Mi7 costs only € 39,90; so we can't have it all for this price. But overall, this box looks ok. Below some pictures of the package and the contents!

a transparent box this time
11v5guo.jpg

no black or red, but pastels
n4uqz6.jpg

the contents: the Mi7, keyring, carabiner , manual and a spare O-ring
35iq52g.jpg

Impressions:

The Mi7 is the tiniest Klarus I've had my hands-on until now: The torch has the dimensions of an average finger. But it has "grown-up" appearance and feels therefore like real flashlight. My sample came in deep-black color, but the Mi7 is also available in red and blue. The build-quality is very good, also the anodizing and laser-engraving is well done, I couldn't detect any defects on it. Striking on this light is the pineapple-texture and the notches in the head. The XP-L HI V3 LED was perfectly centered at my sample and had a flawless orange-peel reflector around. The threads run smooth but need some grease: it will ensure longer life and protect against water. Also inside the body and the head it looks ok, no sharp edges or parts anywhere. Summarizing we can say the light is well-finished and feels durable, so it looks ok to me. Have a look at my pictures that show more details and impressions!

the Klarus Mi7
2hftohj.jpg

mini-sized mature-torch
w9d30y.jpg

therefore a real EDC-light
263eddl.jpg

in nice deepblack color
2d2asxz.jpg

and fits well in the hand
15i6uu1.jpg

thanks to the button a good anti-rolling design
118ep1t.jpg

a lot of battery-options
sdh8i1.jpg

anodizing and engraving well-done
2vc9gk4.jpg

no sharp edges
2i0rps0.jpg

an orange-peel reflector and a perfectly centered XP-L HI V3 LED
xfuq0k.jpg

this is my favorite combination
jb61qs.jpg

a keyring is included
259a4hw.jpg

the lanyard is (to me) too long
t7xts7.jpg

the texture and the notches in the head are striking
2hzo77r.jpg

the heads' inner
4j8i0y.jpg

a close-up to the cap
x37m9j.jpg

and in the tube
2eancsw.jpg

the Mi7 can be attached to you keyring
2h34ysp.jpg

or hang it on using the carabiner
2h66nih.jpg

the Mi7 in the forest
bi2ttx.jpg

the powerful XP-L HI V3 LED
2cgd6z6.jpg

a great, little torch!
evaoef.jpg

User interface:

The Mi7 is compact, and you hide the whole torch in the palm of your hand. The difference between body and head is clearly noticeable, thanks to the edge between body and head. The side-button is also in the dark easy to find, and prevents the Mi7 also against accidentally rolling-off the table. The switch has the looks of a dual-button, but its only one and operates smoothly. Almost every AA or 14500-cell (IMR too) can be loaded without problems in the Mi7's tube.

I have to admit: the interface needs practice.. I never saw such an interface on a light before. But after a couple of days/weeks I can tell you that I got used with it. The light hasn't memory, and goes on in moonlight or high. Therefore, cycling between moonlight and highest mode isn't possible, neither from highest unto moonlight. Pressing the button longer time (than about a second) will turn on the Mi7 in moonlight / lowest mode. Press again to shut off. No other normal output options possible here. A short press from off will start the light on high, again a short press will give low; the third press will shut the light off. This means, that the Mi7 always turns of after the first (moonlight) or second press (low) when in normal mode. As said, I'm got used to this interface, but I think that every user will like this interface.

Two quick presses to enter the special modes: always starting at Strobe, again two quick presses brings SOS. You can activate Strobe (and again SOS) both from on and off. When the light is in a normal mode, a short press brings you back in last used. When a special mode is activated from off, a short press will shut the light again off. There's also a function that needs three presses: the battery-power-indicator. Use this feature from off; the light will blink one, two or three times. The more flashes, the more power. Press and hold the button for five second to lock-out the Mi7, this is shown by two flashes. To activate the light again, press four in sequence, the light flashes three times now to show it's unlocked.

The Mi7 has its own interface that needs practice; and I guess many user would prefer memory on this torch, so cycling through all modes is possible. On the other way, you will have always two direct-modes. The Mi7 is a complete light for its size, and the interface works without defects.

Modes:

The Mi7 has three normal modes in total: MOONLIGHT > LOW > HIGH. I you have in total three modes in the lumen-range of 0-700, it isn't easy to split these modes; for me, four or five modes would be better on this light. As mentioned earlier, two direct-modes here: MOONLIGHT and HIGH. Two special modes on the Mi7: STROBE and SOS, only STROBE is a direct-one. You can LOCK-OUT the light at two ways: using the button (press for more than five seconds) or by releasing the cap a little. The Mi7 has also a built-in POWER-indicator.

Beamprofile:

The beam of the Mi7 has surprised me: a relative tiny hotspot and corona and a lot of (bright) spill. To be honest, I didn't expect this when I look at this reflector. This results in a wide beam, but also good throw. Have a look at the (outdoor) beamshots in this review that show this interesting beam. No defects found here in the beamprofile, neither PWM; I'm happy with that.

the tints compared
2d2dcgx.jpg

Size comparison:

Let's have a look here at the Mi7, side-by-side to the Manker E11 and the Klarus RS16. Especially the Mi7 next to the RS16 shows the compact size of this new Klarus!

14500-cell, Klarus Mi7, Manker E11 and Klarus RS16
24262pv.jpg

Klarus Mi7, Manker E11 and Klarus RS16
2ibdiio.jpg

Klarus Mi7, Manker E11 and Klarus RS16
34et5rd.jpg

the fronts: Klarus Mi7, Manker E11 and Klarus RS16
f1jta8.jpg

one XP-L HI V3, and two XP-L LEDS
2s1t0n5.jpg

the tails: Klarus Mi7, Manker E11 and Klarus RS16
sw4j1h.jpg

Beamshots:

And now the beamshots! We'll start indoors and later we go outside with in total three lights. First, the beam showed on a white wall. Distance about 0,75 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec
2irzfd.jpg

33c2cfr.jpg

ndk6k3.jpg

GIF-picture
syazao.jpg

And now, outdoors:

And now the light outdoors, in the forest! Only GIF's here of the three normal modes shown here, because I was curious about the difference between an Eneloop-AA and a 14500-cell. At moonlight, the difference is barely notiable, at low mode the AA seems to give some more power, at high there's a clear difference. After that a comparison between the Mi7 and the Manker E11 (powered by an IMR-14500) and the Klarus brother RS16 (XP-L-version).

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm
j0wppe.jpg

2wqxr1w.jpg

24wypmw.jpg

a GIF of the three modes, feeded by an Eneloop AA
1zyfqzk.jpg

the three modes running on an 14500
11he16d.jpg

the Mi7 against the Manker E11, both lights at highest mode
2dt0nck.jpg

the Mi7 against the Klarus RS16, both at highest mode
2cse7fl.jpg

Conclusion:

The Mi7 is compact, well-finished and is a powerfull light for its size. Also the build-quality is good and the interface works without defects. This makes the Mi7 is good choice for those who are looking for an powerful EDC-light! The Mi7 has a wide beam and also good throw, this makes this torch a good all-rounder. I'll strongly recommend the combination Mi7 / protected 14500 to have the best performance.

What I wish is that this nice light came with an updated interface and about two extra normal modes. These additions would make this tiny Klarus an almost perfect EDC!

Thanks to Klaruslight and mr Schiermeier for the perfect shipping!

Last edited:

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

Great beamshots and very detailed photos of the light as usual.

I have a question - is there a timed or thermal step-down on High when running on 14500 battery? I don't believe this light will be able to cool enough to sustain the full 700 lumen.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review. I got mine two days ago and I am very happy so far. I run mine with a 14500 and the output is amazing for such a small light. At 5 lumens, the moonlight mode is actually a very useful low mode IMHO. I love that I can access the moonlight (low), high and strobe directly from off. The electronic lockout is great too. A nice pocket clip would make this nearly perfect for my needs.

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

One question: in the animated image comparing Klarus Mi7 and Manker E11 with 14500 cells, Klarus looks substantially better - much wider spill and no less throw. Is this how they look to you in person? Would you say Klarus is that much better?

kj75

Enlightened
One question: in the animated image comparing Klarus Mi7 and Manker E11 with 14500 cells, Klarus looks substantially better - much wider spill and no less throw. Is this how they look to you in person? Would you say Klarus is that much better?

The wider spill in combination with the throw will not make it the better light. The E11 has a egal, smooth beam with better color rendering.

Keep in mind that a wide beam like the Mi7 can "blind" your eyes, this can't be showed on a beamshot, you have to see it in real life.

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
The wider spill in combination with the throw will not make it the better light. The E11 has a egal, smooth beam with better color rendering.

Keep in mind that a wide beam like the Mi7 can "blind" your eyes, this can't be showed on a beamshot, you have to see it in real life.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. If you look at that animated image, the Klarus is better, hands down. Why do you suppose it came out like that? Could it be that some camera parameters or something else was different by mistake?

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. If you look at that animated image, the Klarus is better, hands down. Why do you suppose it came out like that? Could it be that some camera parameters or something else was different by mistake?

No, I used the same settings, took the photos in about a minute at same way, both lights used fresh batteries.

By the way, have a look at shorter distance at the picture...

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
No, I used the same settings, took the photos in about a minute at same way, both lights used fresh batteries.

Sorry to bother you, but all camera settings were on the same manual values, right? Aperture, exposure, ISO, focus - all was on manual, right? Leaving anything on auto could lead to vastly different values being selected by camera. White Balance is more complicated, but it is less relevant in this case, we are not comparing tints here.

Perhaps you could publish original images, so we can all look at the EXIF data? That would be great. Thanks.

kj75

Enlightened
Please read the review carefully, my settings are always the same in all my reviews and mentioned above the first outdoor pictures

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
Please read the review carefully, my settings are always the same in all my reviews and mentioned above the first outdoor pictures

Sorry, I overlooked the settings. Please don't take this as criticism of your great work, I am just trying to understand why that image looks the way it does.

You didn't specify focus distance. Was it on auto focus?

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened

I just thought about something else. What is the distance between camera and the flashlight mount? If it isn't negligible, that would explain why flashlight with wider spill looks so much better in the image.

andygold

Newly Enlightened
@kj75, So if you had to pick only one of these lights for every day pocket carry, which would you pick? I had originally thought the Klarus was the right one for me, but now I'm leaning towards the Manker due to a better medium level, and longer runtime on medium. I also was considering the Olight S1A. Thoughts?