Projector Fog Lamp

Sadden

Enlightened
Hey guys, looking for a decent projector fog lamp. Have been eyeballing the hella micro de, but i see they also make a 120mm projector fog.

This is for my 06 Grand Prix GXP. The car has h11 fogs, but they are aftermarket garbage. I didnt know any better when i replaced them. The oem ones were extremely damaged when i replaced them.

I definately prefer halogen for this application. And im okay with a custom mounting option. But want to keep the overall size similar to the oem projectors fogs.

These lamps will sit very low to the ground, so an extremely thin band would be good.

fastgun

Enlightened
Even though you specified fog light, I would look at one of Hella's projector low beam modules. They make different sizes of headlight low beam that could be mounted low in the fog light position.
You would have the advantage of a better light than a true fog light would give and the low position where your fog lights are now for times of fog.. These work well for all weather conditions.
The 90mm Bi halogen is available right now for $300 for a set and would be my 1st choice.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What is it you want the fogs to do for you, exactly? You do realize that fog lamps (even very good ones) are basically useless in most driving conditions, right?

Sadden

Enlightened
What is it you want the fogs to do for you, exactly? You do realize that fog lamps (even very good ones) are basically useless in most driving conditions, right?

I live in Northern AB Canada. And leave for work early in the mornings, in the winter time we vet 18 hours of darkness and whiteout snow conditions. As well as an increase in icefog over the past few years. I need quality foglamps, for whiteout snow and heavy icefog conditions.

I was considering doing a set of aux bi halogen projectors like the hella units. But their placement would prevent me from putting my driving lights on the car. Usefull in the winter time when road conditions are good.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That sounds like a reasonable need for fog lamps! If you have the money to afford them, these are the ones to get. Much better performance than the Micro DE or other halogen fogs, and completely sealed against water/dirt/corrosion. I hesitate to say it's not worth spending even the lower price on a lesser lamp, but that's real close to the reality here.

Sadden

Enlightened
That sounds like a reasonable need for fog lamps! If you have the money to afford them, these are the ones to get. Much better performance than the Micro DE or other halogen fogs, and completely sealed against water/dirt/corrosion. I hesitate to say it's not worth spending even the lower price on a lesser lamp, but that's real close to the reality here.

Thanks for the suggestion, but those are completely off the table, they ice up in the ice fog we get here. Ive used them on rigs before and they dont stay warm enough. Halogen is the only thing I am willing to consider at this point as I dont know of any quality HID based fog lamps.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
OK, no LEDs. There are no real HID fog lamps, let alone any quality ones, you're right. So then that will put you squarely in front of these.

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened
Hi Virgil. This may not belong in the thread and if so feel free to delete this post or move it to the appropriate thread but I have seen numerous post here and in other places that state HIDs never make good foglights because they over-flood the foreground with light. However I have seen these http://m.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LEXUS-LS...ROJECTOR-DRIVER-PASS-/201271757236?nav=SEARCH on eBay for quite a while and they seem to be OEM Lexus parts. I don't know if anyone here has a way to verify that, but if they are OEM parts how is Lexus able to get away with making HID foglights if they are so dangerous?

And then that also brings the question, is there anything maybe in markets outside the US accessible here that would fit Saddens needs that are HID and would work as good as these OEM HID foglights( assuming these are OEM and work great.)

Sadden

Enlightened
OK, no LEDs. There are no real HID fog lamps, let alone any quality ones, you're right. So then that will put you squarely in front of these.

Is it okay to use these in the foglamp position or do i need to mount them up higher, in between the headlamps?

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Is it okay to use these in the foglamp position or do i need to mount them up higher, in between the headlamps?

They're fog lamps, so by all means put them in the fog lamp location. :) They are more efficient than the Micro DE and use a much higher-precision light source (H7 instead of H3).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I have seen these http://m.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LEXUS-LS...ROJECTOR-DRIVER-PASS-/201271757236?nav=SEARCH on eBay for quite a while and they seem to be OEM Lexus parts.

Looks like it. Japan, until recently, was very laxly regulated as far as auxiliary car lights, and the Middle East still is, which is the two markets mentioned in that Ebay auction. Whoever pays $1000 for a pair of fog lamps is a damn fool, though.

And then that also brings the question, is there anything maybe in markets outside the US accessible here that would fit Saddens needs that are HID and would work as good as these OEM HID foglights

Practically speaking, no.

fastgun

Enlightened
Sadden, the Hella Bi-Halogen HL99802 has an H9 low beam and a high beam.
If a shortage of space is pushing you into a compromise just to fit a fog and a driving light into a small area you could use one light to rule them all.
By the way, have you considered a Ford pickup?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't know why we're pushing for lights that aren't what the original poster needs. Mounting driving lights (auxiliary high beams) down low means you're pouring money right down into the sewer. They really need to be up around the height of the headlamps or else they're useless at best.

Sadden

Enlightened
I don't know why we're pushing for lights that aren't what the original poster needs. Mounting driving lights (auxiliary high beams) down low means you're pouring money right down into the sewer. They really need to be up around the height of the headlamps or else they're useless at best.

A lesson I already learned, admittedly the hard/expensive way....

Magio

Enlightened
Looks like it. Japan, until recently, was very laxly regulated as far as auxiliary car lights, and the Middle East still is, which is the two markets mentioned in that Ebay auction. Whoever pays $1000 for a pair of fog lamps is a damn fool, though.

Practically speaking, no.

Ahh that makes sense. I was wondering why it mentioned just Japan and the Middle East. I didnt know they were less regulated than the US and the EU. I would have thought Japan was onboard with the rest of the world as far a lighting regulations go. And yeah whoever buys those either is an idiot or has too much money to blow LOL. Admittedly I do like the styling Lexus had going on with those though.

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
I really should fit my Micro DE fogs, only been in the shed for how many years? I've got 4 Hella Rallye 1000 lights on the way here so I'll probably fit all of them at the same time, and replace the useless excuse for an LED bar I've got at the moment.

Latest posts