"universal" charger - 12v or usb

damanlx

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Can somebody recommend a charger that has the following capabilities:
- can charge 18650 and Eneloops
- can be used in a car (so either 12v or USB I guess..)?

I've been looking at XTAR VC4 but would prefer something smaller (ie. 2 slots, VC2 won't do with Eneloops though)...

And another question - if I get VC4 - will it work with Xiaomi power bank 10k mAh (ie. can I use Xiaomi to charge 18650s)?

Thanks,

terjee

Enlightened
You can use a powerbank if it's happy to give enough power.

Nitecore UM10 and UM20 (both USB) might be fairly typical recommendations.

You might also want to take notice of the Nitecore F1. It doesn't fulfil all your requirements (can't charge Eneloop), but could be interesting because it'll let you use an 18650 to act as a powerbank.

Nitecore SC2 can work directly from AC, and also 12V. It's fast, and can charge two batteries at up to 3A + 2A.

Generally, you have more powerful options if you go with 12V, than if you go with USB. The latter can be smaller and cheaper though, and gives you options like power banks.

If you budget allows for it, a combination could perhaps be interesting, such as SC2 for when you need speed, and an F1 for it's flexibility, and for charging from USB.

Oh, and I'm not necessarily recommending the those above what others might mention. I'm just mentioning them because they fit the requirements, and I don't recall which of all the other good chargers out there have a 12V option.

keithy

Enlightened
I have the Xtar VC4, and have used it with my Xiaomi 10400mAh and 16000mAh powerbanks to charge NiMH. Haven't tried with 18650s, but I believe it will work.

But it is a bulky charger, and I think for travel the LCD screen and display is probably unnecessary.

My current favourite single cell multi chem charger is the Littokala Lii100, mainly because it was cheap but charges both NiMH and Lithium cells ok.

I just ordered the two cell version the Liitokala Lii202. Haven't read many reviews of it yet, so I'm hoping it is as good as the Lii100, just a two cell version.

damanlx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. SC2 looks really great but Lii202 seems to it the bill for a fraction of price...
I'd be glad to see some reviews of both...

markr6

Flashaholic
I've been looking at XTAR VC4 but would prefer something smaller (ie. 2 slots, VC2 won't do with Eneloops though)...

Same here. I just bought an Xtar VC2 Plus. Make sure it's the Plus since that does Eneloops. The only negative IMO is that it doesn't have a voltage readout, but a % indicator. Not ideal, but OK I guess. Everything else about it checks out. I got one for $8 on ebay, so no big deal if it turns out I don't like it. Nice 500mA and 1000mA rates.

keithy

Enlightened
I am working on it.

Nice... I usually wait for your reviews, but I took the plunge on the Liitokala like I did with the Xiaomi Zi5.

I've seen the Littokala Li-202 looks like the Astrolux C2. Rebadged or clone?

But thanks for your reviews on the 2016 Nitecore i2. I had recommended that charger to a friend, but withdrew that recommendation after reading your review!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. SC2 looks really great but Lii202 seems to it the bill for a fraction of price...
I'd be glad to see some reviews of both...

I just ordered two Liitokala 202s and two Liitokala 100s from GearBest a couple of days ago and all four of them were $20-$21 shipped. I've got a lot of chargers and just wanted to try the brand. I'll leave a 202 (and a power bank) at my GF's place and take back my LaCrosse BC-700, which isn't a bad charger, but only does NiMH.

I'll see what Liitokala is all about, but the prices were right.

Chris