Review: Olight S1R(echargable) Baton: EDC, 1xRCR123A, 900 lumens; (beam)shots, compar

kj75

Enlightened
It seems that (also on demand of the users) Olight on September 1 has introduced the rechargeable version of the successful S1. But that's not the only thing: the output of the S1R is almost twice compared to the S1, thanks to a new, included "high-drain" RCR123A cell. And there is more! So, highest time to have a look at this EDC-light, also side-by-side to some equal torches!

the rechargeable version of the S1, the S1R
2s0lg7c.jpg

tiny but surprising bright
34e2bds.jpg

powered by a XM-L2 LED
2e3bt5w.jpg

one of the tiniest rechargeable-lights available
1scebo.jpg

an ideal light for EDC-ing
2ns5pjo.jpg

big power for a thumb-sized one!
oh1lkp.jpg

Here are the specifications, given by Olight:

· Cree XM-L2 LED
· Powered by a 550mAh RCR123 customized battery of five times discharging rate, giving a maximum output up to 900 lumens
· The flashlight can be charged through the magnetic contact charging port (other batteries may also be used in S1R, but cannot be charged)
· New 750mA portable USB charging cable
· Brightness increases or decreases gradually: when the flashlight is switched on/off, it will light up or fade gradually to protect eyes from the stimulation caused by sudden brightness changes
· Flat magnetic tailcap that allows it to be secured to ferrous metal surfaces as a hands-free option
· Lockout mode can be activated on the side switch for accidental triggering protection, along with a low-voltage indicator underneath
· Reverse polarity protection circuits
· Timer Setting: Short (3 minutes) and long (9 minutes)
· The standby current is below 30uA
· LED: XM-L2
· Max Output (lumens): 900
· Low (lumens): 0.5
· Max Run Time (hours): 15 days
· Beam Distance: 145 m / 476 ft.
· Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 5,250 cd
· Water Resistance: IPX8 (up to 2 meters)
· Impact Resistance: 1.5 m / 4.9 ft.
· Head Diameter: 0.83 in. / 21 mm
· Length: 2.6 in. / 64 mm
· Battery Type: 1 X CR123A or 1 x RCR123A (rechargeable battery)
· Weight (oz): 0.27oz / 36g

And the output specs:
p3v69.jpg

Unboxing:

My sample was sent out by SkyBen Trade (many thanks for the shipping!), and in the package I received besides the S1R a business card, a branded holster and an usb-light. As were are used of, the S1R comes in an attractive plastic glossy case that has main blue, black and white colors and most features printed on it. This box is real complete and "ready-to-go": Besides what's necessary, Olight provides a nice branded pouch to restore or carry the light and the accessories. What you can see here is that Olight really takes care of their products…and their customers. Good point here! Please have a look at the unboxing-pictures I took, scroll down to watch!

together with the S1R I received also some gifts from SkyBen Trade
2h4dv8x.jpg

a box in Olight-style
e0lbuo.jpg

there's so much inside!
34fmvde.jpg

a nice solution to restore and carry the light and the accessories
2lwx3qw.jpg

all parts fit into the pouch without problems
2eaqd80.jpg

Impressions:

It's a great performance of the manufacturer that the S1R is only 0,5 centimeters longer and about 5 grams heavier is than the non-rechargeable S1. For me, this is the tiniest rechargeable I've had my hands-on until now! The S1R has the same looks and characteristics of the other Olight-members. This means: Excellent build and finished, no defects on anodizing and several nice, striking details like the lightblue (metallic) bezel. Only thing I mentioned is that adding-on the clip reverse and back can't be done without damaging the anodizing. I like the fact that the clip is a real strong one. The laser-engraving is clear and looks ok. Looking into the S1R's head we see a TIR-lens that is made of plastic and a well centered XM-L2 LED. At the tailcap we see the charging connector with a silver ring around; luckily the magnetic function of that cap is still there. The threads are well machined and lubed sufficiently, inside the cap it looks all well-finished. In the tube we see a little spring, the cell must be loaded with negative pole pointing to the lights head. Looking at the caps' inner, this can't go wrong. All-in-all, we can conclude that the updates to this successful concept (that Olight uses for several years now) still make the S-lights better. Although it's one of the tiniest members of the brand, the overall quality and finishing is again excellent. I will show you more impressions and details by pictures, please scroll down to watch them!

the S1R(echargeable) Baton
14tlnj6.jpg

rechargeable, but still tiny
2j1kff9.jpg

suited to carry 24/7
2l8z1x4.jpg

stable standing to use it as a candle
34dhojn.jpg

recognizable as a member of the big Olight-family
n4crbk.jpg

can easily be hidden in your hand's palm
15qw8p2.jpg

excellent built and finished
1z6cug8.jpg

up to 900 lumens!
2j28hg0.jpg

enough grip and good anti-rolling design
e0kjnk.jpg

and a strong clip that can be added at two ways
28akm1l.jpg

the special designed cell provides higher amps
51sj8k.jpg

nice, striking details on the S1R
96c012.jpg

a close-up at the TIR lens
and the XM-L2 LED
2lijzfm.jpg

the charging dock and the USB plug-in are in the same nice blue color
bf3z8m.jpg

easy connectable thanks to the strong magnet
2nsvnn5.jpg

charging…
15rkqas.jpg

and ready to go!
i6xkk4.jpg

the (optional) micro-dock can also be used
2laa44o.jpg

the lock-out mode is showed by a 2-second red flash
2yltgzm.jpg

regular CR123A-cells can also be used, but have less output
2dhgqqx.jpg

in the "SkyBen"-holster
o8sbyt.jpg

how nice: the lanyard has a needle that helps you to add it on
28v5846.jpg

the rather big strap
wt9mwk.jpg

a look into the cap
2afmpgy.jpg

and into the tube
348oq3n.jpg

the magnetic tail is a nice and handy feature
5zqlf.jpg

User interface:

It's not surprising that the S1R is easy to carry, it will fit in every pocket. The light has enough grip also thanks to the clip. About the clip: It can be added reverse too, but there's more. I use it to locate the power button in the dark, because it is (to me) little hard to find. You can also lock-out the S1A by using the clip: simple slide it over the button, and the light won't get accidentally on in your pocket. Clipping-on the S1R to your cap is also a nice option.

Charging the S1R is easy, you can use the cable with connector and the (optional) charging micro-dock. Thanks to the strong magnet it's very easy to connect the charger. Charging job is done quickly, mostly within an hour your cell is fully loaded.

The interface works at same way as other recently released Olights, and to me it works fine. Long press for on/off (light starts in last memorized mode); press and hold (when on) to cycle through the modes. A long press (all from off) to start at Moonlight, two presses to get into direct-Turbo, three for instant-Strobe. Works without defects, but Strobe is still too far away here. A new nice feature that Olight has built-in is that the light gradually turn on and off in High and Turbo-mode. With this option your eyes can adjust in a about half a second to the bright light. Nice find! Also the S1R has a built-in timer function: with the light on, double click to enter the nine-minute timer (one flash), again a double click (2 flashes) will enter auto shut off after three minutes. A nice option when the light is at your nightstand, you can't forget to turn it off.. A new feature on the S1R is the lock-out function; press and hold the button for longer than 2 seconds to activate this mode. The light will short turn on at moonlight and again off after about a second. When in this mode, the red LED in the button tells you the light is locked-out. The light must be unlocked by pressing and holding the button for about two seconds; this is a pity to me, in my opinion it's better to unlock the light by two short presses, because now there's the risk of accidentally unlocking the light during wearing in your pocket.

Overall the S1R has a good interface with some nice new features, so I'm happy with it. Again good job of Olight here!

Modes:

In total five normal white modes here. Olight names these modes MODE 1 until MODE 5, I used in this review and the beamshots: MOONLIGHT > LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. You can only cycle up, but thanks to the two direct modes (MOONLIGHT / TURBO) you can enter your desired mode quickly. The spacing is good, I like especially the step MOONLIGHT > LOW. Two lower modes on an EDC-light is a good point. One special mode: STROBE. This direct-mode works both from on and off. The S1R can be LOCKED-OUT at two ways: by slightly unscrewing the cap and via the power button. An extra mode is the TIMER-function. So, a bunch of modes and options on this tiny one!

Size comparison:

To show how compact the S1R is, a couple of pictures here side-by-side to the Fenix RC09 and the S1A Baton-brother.

High-drain RCR123A, Olight S1R Baton, Fenix RC09 and Olight S1A Baton
5a0d2.jpg

Olight S1R Baton, Fenix RC09 and Olight S1A Baton
2niv4v5.jpg

Olight S1R Baton, Fenix RC09 and Olight S1A Baton
103zk3k.jpg

the heads: XM-L2, XP-L and XM-L2 with and without TIR-lens
2n0lhtt.jpg

the tails:
Olight S1A Baton, Manker E11, Olight S2A Baton and Olight ST25 Baton
5vnfxf.jpg

Tint:

The tint is coolwhite, which is not a big surprise.. Next to the RC09 and the S1A it seems less neutral, but it is ok to me. Like most XM-L2 tints, little blue in the spill.

2wnwn46.jpg

Beamprofile:

The TIR-lens emits a big hotspot and corona, there only little spill. So outside you'll get a "wall of light" at shorter distance. This is a usable beam up to about 50 meters away. The TIR will not give a perfectly rounded beam at a white wall, but it's clean and there's no PWM at any mode.

Beamshots:

At first, I'll show you some indoor-results: the five normal modes of the S1R when projected on a white wall. The distance is about 0,75 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2945bme.jpg

34ngwzm.jpg

2gwvn6d.jpg

av0r42.jpg

2rrw0sg.jpg

GIF:
2rbzgir.jpg

Now, let's see how the S1R performs in the forest. Firstly, the five modes shown here, followed by a GIF. I compared also the highest mode running on RCR123A and CR123. After that some shoot-out against other EDC-lights.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
2wh04ud.jpg

25hflzk.jpg

2uiavet.jpg

2uppwme.jpg

14o2lbm.jpg

animation:
33a9q94.jpg

The S1R running on a CR123A has "only" four modes, that I mention "High" in this comparison. It seems like the maximum output of the CR123A is above 300 lumens, but Olight doesn't give exact specs as far as I know.

a comparison of the highest modes running on RCR123A and CR123A:
2uskavm.jpg

The S1A-brother runs in this comparison an a powerful 14500-cell.

a shoot-out against the S1A Baton-brother, both at Turbo:
2d82cgg.jpg

The Fenix RC09 runs on a 16340-cell, that isn't a high-drain battery. There's clearly less output against the S1R Baton.

the S1R against the Fenix RC09, both lights at highest mode:
2djwhaq.jpg

The Klarus Mi7 runs on 14500, and has a "throwy" beam.

The S1R against the Klarus Mi7, both at highest mode:
fdayvm.jpg

Conclusion:

In short: The S1R is to me the most complete EDC there is! Overall quality is excellent, the light has almost all option you wish, several charging options and also impressive output. The charging function is a nice step forward; advantage of the magnetic charging is that the light is still waterproof to IPX-8 with no risk of losing USB-covers. On the other way, you may never forget the dedicated charger… For the price of € 69,95 you'll receive a complete and ready-to-go-package, including nice pouch.

Main point I want to see improved is the lock-out function that is too easy to deactivate.

Overall, I'm impressed by this tiny and powerful Olight!

Special thanks to SkyBen trade and Olightworld for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

vernon750

Newly Enlightened
best single AA light i have tested as of late. i posted my review of it here on BLF, TFF, and on Amazon.

0-8-15 User

Newly Enlightened
The S1R is to me the most complete EDC there is!
I can only agree. I bought the neutral white version two months ago and I use it almost every day. Awesome little light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review once again kj75! I got the NW version of this light and cannot help but feel disappointed in it. At lower levels the neutral tint is fine. As soon as I go to high and turbo the tint turns a strong cool white. It only will stay in turbo for less than a minute before it drops to 300 lumens. Being stuck with the proprietary battery sucks. The magnetic charger that came with my copy is now starting to malfunction the light is pretty new. Thus I prefer my S Minis, RC09 and S1A's