Longtime Member, Looking For A Newer Zebralight, Recommendation Please?

Climb14er

Enlightened
I'm running an original SC600, with protected Orbtronic batteries, 2200, 2900, 3100. Light still runs very well and it along with my M30 Olight Triton are my two primary bedside flashlights. I survived an armed robbery in my house in 2008 and I take my personal and family's safety... VERY seriously. Full security system and personal protection. OK... enough of the background.

I'd like to get a newer Zebralight, with more powerful light, run-time longer lasting. A lot has been added to the marketplace the last few years, as I think I bought the SC600 in 2011 or so.

What newer Zebralight would you recommend? I'd like to use the same batteries I have in addition to buying newer Orbtronic 3400 button top ones. Only protected cells.

I've read a lot of the reviews and comments here but frankly, I still have not made up my mind.

My EDC is a SC52, AA's and Enelopes. Works fine for me. Just want a newer and stronger Zebralight.

Recommendations?

And please, no other light manufacturer recommendations. I have other lights around the house and I like Zebralights. And only PROTECTED CELLS.

Appreciate!

BTW, this forum is running unbelievably super slow. Just had to throw that in.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately the newest lights by ZL are unprotected only which does limit the options. If you're going to use only protected cells then the SC62w and MK2 lights are good options. If you're willing to go with unprotected cells then I would recommend the MK3 HI model. Imo it's the best Zebralight currently and has a great blend of throw and flood. Great tint, efficient, long runtimes and fairly compact also. I'm not sure if you'll see much of a difference between the original SC600 and the MK2 or SC62. Hope that helps some!

Climb14er

Enlightened
Unfortunately the newest lights by ZL are unprotected only which does limit the options. If you're going to use only protected cells then the SC62w and MK2 lights are good options. If you're willing to go with unprotected cells then I would recommend the MK3 HI model. Imo it's the best Zebralight currently and has a great blend of throw and flood. Great tint, efficient, long runtimes and fairly compact also. I'm not sure if you'll see much of a difference between the original SC600 and the MK2 or SC62. Hope that helps some!

Thank you! I see ZL is moving to unprotected lights. I've read most of the threads and thought that there might be the possibility of ZL coming out with a newer protected light.

Appreciate!

D6859

Enlightened
It seems all the new more powerful SC600 MK III models accept only unprotected batteries. Since you want to use only protected batteries you're limited to SC600 MKII or SC62 XM-L2 models which accept batteries up to 69 mm long.

Btw, I found this out by following Chicken Drumstick's advise: browsing the Zebralight website.

Since you want something more powerful I'd say pick the neutral white SC600w MKII. It seems to offer almost 300 lumens more than the original MK I. Neutral white here is my own preference, if you want even more lumens, pick the CW.

(If you were not limited to protected batteries I'd say buy SC600w Mk III HI 18650 Flashlight with Neutral White High Intensity XHP35.)

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Its not the newest but its newer and still available. I'd say the sc62w. Should fit those batteries as I'm using a protected 3400 orbtronic in mine and it fits fine. As a plus the 62 series is smaller than the 600s. Its not just a whole lot bigger then the 52 series. I can pretty much carry it in the same places as my sc52d. If neutral tint isnt as important as output then the cool white would work just as well.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! I see ZL is moving to unprotected lights. I've read most of the threads and thought that there might be the possibility of ZL coming out with a newer protected light.

Appreciate!

From what I've seen in talking with ZL and what others have posted it appears they're sticking with the unprotected only for their newer 18650 lights. Part of this is due to the smaller size and higher amp requirements. They also decided to go with pogo pins (instead of springs) which limits the battery type to unprotected cells also. I will say if you can get a cell like the 18650ga (usually $6-8 in the US) it's worth it for a light like the MK3 HI. Otherwise I would say the MK2 neutral white will be your best option. The SC62w is a great light too if you want a more compact light for EDC use.

Climb14er

Enlightened
Fine thoughts on the subject folks! The SC62 is an attractive option due to its more compact size and slightly added 'power' than the SC600 that has served me well.

I use a Pila Charger and as mentioned would feel more comfortable with the protected cells. I run a double 18650 in the Olight and don't want to mix protected and unprotected.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your intended use for the light? Do you want more of an EDC or a thrower with better heat management? If you are more interested in EDC use the 62w would be a great option, my second favorite light (after the MK3 HI). If throw and heat management are more important I would go with the SC600 MK2 model. It will stay at the highest setting for longer and give a little bit more throw.

One other thing I will add is that it might be good to at least consider a good quality unprotected cell like the 18650ga. I certainly understand the apprehension about using these cells or accidentally mixing them up with your Olight. However I've found since switching to unprotected cells only that they're just as safe as protected cells if basic safety precautions are used. This includes no overcharging or discharging, don't mix cells, etc. If you purchased a cell like the 18650ga the color of the wrapper would stand out from other cells and you could use them only for your ZL. The MK3 HI is so good this is the reason I recommend considering trying it out.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since the SC62w is still my main EDC light since it came out (replaced the SC60w) I can certainly recommend that especially since it's on clearance right now. If it's out of stock when you check, just keep checking everyday it usually comes back in stock within a week after selling out. I already have 2 spares at least, but I may get one more; hard to improve on perfection.

That said I really like the SC600w III HI, the first of the SC600 series I've really taken to and I've started with the very first release. It's smaller now SC62 size in length, but the beam is just something the 62 series can't do. Yes I had to buy new batteries for it (Sanyo/Panasonic GA cells) and I have no other flashlights that I trust to use unprotected cells in. I've had enough experience with Zebralight to trust their lights though. The cells are fantastic and inexpensive compared to when you bought your protected cells. I don't burn through a cell very fast so I don't mind having these special ones, I do have a lot of Zebra lights to use them in from headlamps to other handhelds.

One more thing, a bit of a gamble, but a brand new Zebralight is in the works, only pre-order right now, you've probably seen the thread on it. SC600Fd mk III Plus XHP50 light. It's a floody one, but high CRI and high output (1500 lumen spec). It might be nice to have something to light-up a room with. I'm excited about it, but I like playing with new lights, and checking out new Zebralights in particular. I'm also surprised by how much I like the floody SC5fd AA light from them. I'm not much in to AA lights any more been an 18650 fan since the beginning, and after that I tend to favor AAA and CR123A primary cells.

I think you have to try the new 600w mk III HI just to see if you like it. I always go for the w or the c/d varieties so I don't talk about the others, but I have a few.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find an update you are really happy with.

scout24

Flashaholic
SC62w is the only Zebralight I own a backup for. I used it for 5 minutes after opening it, and ordered the second. Fantastic range of outputs, and anything inside of 100yds. is fair game. Beyond that, I have other lights. Runs any 18650 I've tried... The "w" gives up very little in the way of visible output. It's the same size as a Haiku, just a hair taller than an HDS light.

Climb14er

Enlightened
Being safety and security conscious, I appreciate the SC600 for it really opens up the visual area outside and inside the light does not over power the walls. Typically, I carry the SC52 in my pocket at night, take it on the road traveling with spare AA's or Eneloops.

Does the SC62 get overly 'hot' while running in the first few minutes in the HI setting? I've got an old L4 Surfire Wall Of Light, my first serious light, whose KL4 head gets fairly hot while running. The SC600 I have stays nice and cool.

The thread has given me good thought. The SC62 I can carry as an option. This is a nice alternative. I prefer more flood to narrow throw.

scout24

Flashaholic
It gets warm, sure. The PID stepdown, which I can't personally see while it's happening, prevents it from getting too hot. It is a nice alternative to the sc52w, while not being terribly bigger.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC62 does get a little warm when run in the turbo mode. You can adjust how quickly the light "throttles" down which will affect how warm it gets. For me I would say it gets very warm to slightly hot but not too hot to hold. The SC600 series does better with the sustained output and staying relatively cool. The biggest advantage to the HI model is the increased throw; for outdoor use it gives the best amount of light at a distance and has a good amount of spill for lighting up the surrounding area. The disadvantage is that it only will use unprotected cells.

The best comparison I can give is this: the 62w is a floody wall of light, perfect for EDC use but it does heat up quickly. The SC600 MK2 will be similar with a bit better throw and runs cooler on the turbo mode. Finally the MK3 HI gives the best balance of throw and spill and is smaller than the MK2.

Climb14er

Enlightened
The best comparison I can give is this: the 62w is a floody wall of light, perfect for EDC use but it does heat up quickly. The SC600 MK2 will be similar with a bit better throw and runs cooler on the turbo mode. Finally the MK3 HI gives the best balance of throw and spill and is smaller than the MK2.

Bingo! 😏

I'll look to possibly reconsidering the use of unprotected cells. Would open up the choices to more possibilities.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If throw and heat management are more important I would go with the SC600 MK2 model. It will stay at the highest setting for longer and give a little bit more throw.
makes sense that the heavier lights will absorb more heat.

when comparing lights I find it helps to include their Weight specs:
what the OP has now:
SC52 64 gram (w AA Eneloop)

SC600 Mk I 136 grams (w 18650)

upgrade options for protected batteries:
SC62 85 gram (w 18650)
SC600 Mk II 123 gram (w 18650)

upgrade option for unprotected:

SC63 83 gram (w 18650)
SC600w Mk III 109 gram
(w 18650)

SC63 is 30% heavier than SC52
SC600 Mk I is 24% heavier than
SC600 Mk III

The lowest weight combo would be SC52 and
SC600 Mk III
since OP already has SC52.. Buy
SC600 Mk III :)

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend you reconsider your stance on protected cells. There are tons of lights out there that are both or either voltage aware where it will warn you on low voltage or voltage protected where it will shut the light off on low voltage. Things have changed a lot of in the past few years. Another example of changes is neutral lights are much more prevalent.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bingo! 

I'll look to possibly reconsidering the use of unprotected cells. Would open up the choices to more possibilities.

Check out the MK3 HI thread if you haven't yet, lots of good pics and discussion in there. I own quite a few Zebralights; the SC5w, SC5fd, SC62w, SC63w, SC32w (given as a gift) and the MK3 HI. Out of all the lights the MK3 HI is easily my favorite for its great blend of throw, spill, small size, heat management, great tint (if you like warmer tints) and power. The 62w would be my second favorite.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the MK3 HI is easily my favorite for its great blend of throw, spill, small size, heat management, great tint (if you like warmer tints) and power. The 62w would be my second favorite.
imo you give great feedback. all the OP needs to figure out is whether he has a similar usage application as you :)..

eg for both Outdoors scanning the perimeter of the property (Mk III), AND indoors lighting up the living room (SC62).. get both

More discussion about Mk III:
The MkIII HI is NOT the flooder the MkII is. That being said the beam profile out of the MkIII HI is amazingly wide coming out of such a small reflector. If its a ZL flooder you are after the MkII is still amazing. ...no the HI is not a flooder but it is just SO bright the spill alone lights up a surprisingly wide area very well.

But when it comes down to it you loose a LOT of flood with the HI. My MkII NW is still the best most convenient flooder I have

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I own both the regular cool white SC600 III and the neutral white SC600w III HI. I too was doubting the unprotected cells, but in hindsight, I'm glad I went for it.

I prefer the neutral tint and beam profile of the SC600w HI for outdoor usage, but think it is too focused for indoor usage. If you must get only one light for indoors and outdoors, don't get the HI, but the regular cool/neutral white SC600(w) III for a floodier beam profile.

With that said, I absolutely love my HI, and given the same choices again, I would probably have bought that and the upcoming, floodier, high CRI SC600Fd III Plus (instead of the regular). They should complement each other very well.
Just make sure to get high quality compatible cells. The NCR18650GA is your best option.

Last edited: