Nitecore D4 charger and unprotected cells

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
I have just gotten my order of Samsung 30q cells in the mail and would like to know if the Nitecore D4 charger is capable of safely charging them.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just gotten my order of Samsung 30q cells in the mail and would like to know if the Nitecore D4 charger is capable of safely charging them.

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to do...safely charge batteries and cells. The 30Qs should work just fine in it.

Chris

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I just wanted to double check as I have only used protected cells in it and wanted to make sure it was safe.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I just wanted to double check as I have only used protected cells in it and wanted to make sure it was safe.

If anything, some protected cells are too long for 'some' chargers, so they are a tight fit, or just don't fit at all, but those are days gone by. Protection circuits give you some added 'over charge' protection, but if it's a good quality charger, I don't worry about the added protection.

If you're running cells in series, it's probably a good idea to get protected cells, but I don't have any multi-cell series lights, so I run naked cells in my one multi-cell light and just measure the voltages more often. Most lights have 'step downs' as the cells start draining, so you're at least aware that they're discharging. Some, like Zebralights, have low voltage (2.8v) cutoffs, so the light will stop working altogether.

Chris

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
One more question. In this charger can I charge a protected and an unprotected battery at the same time? Maybe four completely different types of batteries?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, there is no difference between charging a protected cell and an unprotected cell.

I have used the Nitecore i4 v2, the Xtar VC4 and the Xtar VP2, and all of them say you can charge both Li-Ion and NiMH cells at the same time. As long as the charger has independent channels for each cell, there should be no problem.

HKJ has lots of reviews of different chargers, and would be a good source of info.