Why the current obsession with Turbo Mode??

CarlF

Newly Enlightened
Morning all.

Although I have a lot of torches I am wondering why manufacturers seem to quote such high lumen outputs when it is from a turbo mode that will only last a couple of mins or so before stepping down quite considerably.

I prefer to buy lights that are quite simple to operate and would rather just have a high mode that runs for longer than a turbo mode that will only work briefly.

Does anyone have an actual use for such modes or is it purely just to 'willy-wave' number of lumens?

I've heard some say for law enforcement and military. But, being military myself, we don't generally stick anything on a weapon or use in self defence that is over 400 lumen. This on a brief flash into the eyes or strobe mode is more than enough to disorientate any would be assailant.

Does anyone on here have a practical use for such high, but brief outputs?

Also are there any torches that will run their turbo mode without stepping down for a decent duration?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the latest breed of torches and was a bit perplexed at the latest offerings. I've just bought a zebralight SC600 MKIII HI which should arrive today. But the 1300lumen in that will only last a couple of mins before stepping down.

Regards

Carl. :)

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good questions Carl. Why? Because they are commercial entities with marketing departments, and they want to cast the net into the general population as wide as possible. It's the headline that grabs the attention. But I think that there is more to it than that.

There are applications that require more than 400 lumens, but there is usually a heat issue after that. Personally, I use my lights most for walking ( indoors or outdoors) or for shining over my paddocks. Third reason would be the 'willy-wave!' [emoji38] Most of these uses don't involve leaving the light on for more than a minute or two.

I don't have any need for an explosion proof 300 lumen light that might cost $500 and save my life. Nor do the majority of buyers. Most of us want bang for the buck and the current range of good Chinese brands are exceptional value for this kind of light. The down side is that they tend to opt for very cool white emitters to get those impressive numbers, which is why we use modders like Vinh! Lots of love here for that ZL that you just bought too. [emoji106]

I share your need for a decent run time, but I will say that I'd rather have that ( all other things being equal) in a light running on a lower mode with the ability to ramp it up than a light that can't do it at all. Just because a light has turbo doesn't mean that it needs to be run flat out. [emoji3] I guess we are conditioned to look past the headline value and see what it does in the more practical modes. Having said that, it's getting dark outside so I've got go and wave my.....um....flashlight around on turbo for a few seconds! [emoji51][emoji4]

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same deal as having all those numbers on your dashboard dial that can measure beyond your state driving speed limit. A higher top-end in case you need it. Doesn't mean you have to always use it.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the old days, we were used to turning a flashlight on high and leaving it in tailstand, with no potential for meltdown.

Times have changed and we can buy the equivalent of a Ferrari flashlight. However, we will not use the potential of the Ferrari when driving a few blocks to the corner grocery for milk.

Nor can we use the potential of these modern flashlights continuously. If we could (and they wouldn't melt down) the batteries would be depleted in a few minutes, due to the amp draw.

These lights are meant to be used at lower modes, until something goes bump in the night. Then we have the reserve power to investigate, albeit momentarily. With an old fashion flashlight, we would not have that option.

Ideally, flashlight specs would include both a maximum lumen number, preferably called "flash lumen", and a lumen number at which the flashlight will not overheat, called "usable lumens," or something like that.

I have a 12,000 lumen flashlight that has the most beautiful moonlight setting I've ever seen. It will also turn night into day. And even if I could hold it for more than a minute without burn blisters on my hands, the four 18650 batteries would be depleted in 13 minutes.

These new flashlights are simply different tools than older flashlights, and must be used differently.

Last edited:

CarlF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input so far chaps. Interesting to read others viewpoints.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most often you don't need them until you want to see something in the distance. High lumens are supposed to compensate ones poor sight (mine, for example) :) Or in case a perpetrator enters your premises -- a powerful blinding beam should drop in his mind an idea that somewhere in the darkness there might be the same powerful gun :D

Last edited:

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I use turbo all the time raccoon and varmint hunting. I have a shotgun mounted light that is always set on Turbo. I have my handheld light that I sweep with set on high. When a set of eyes reflects back at me, I hit the switch on the shotgun mounted light and the blazing light freezes him so I can identify the target, aim, and shoot. It really works for me. I have shot a lot of raccoons and coyotes, and none of my horses, goats, or cats. In the open fields and long distances, the turbo makes all the difference. My 400 lumen Malkoff would mean not taking half the shots I get.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
All true, but there are always someone who has to have the biggest, baddest, brightest, most expensive whatever for bragging rights. It's kinda like those guys on YouTube that built those obscenely bright useless for any good purpose lights. Its the answer one gets when one asks someone why they like to climb mountains - "Because they're there!" In our case, someone builds a light with a few more lumens on turbo than any others, and these guys snap them up as their latest biggest and brightest light. It's a self reinforcing circle. People buy the lights, so the manufacturers make one a little bit brighter, so they buy that one, so the on ... You get the picture.

In my case, I don't normally have a need to be able to see ten football lengths (1,000 yds, close to 900 meters for you non Americans) away from me, but I can't foresee the future, and I might need that capability some day. Also, my big light has automatic thermal regulation, so it stays as bright as possible rather than arbitrarily stepping down. It's the same way I have two or three sets of cells for all my lights. My current usage pattern could get along just fine with one set and a handy recharger, but here in the wilds of Midwest America, there have been times when the power goes out for for than a couple of hours. Then it is very nice to have two or three sets of cells fully charged. That's also why I have a solar panel and a couple of large power banks, just in case. Ask anyone who lived through Katrina or Sandy. They will tell you the same thing.

TL;DR answer: Because people buy them based on max output, not really caring it might be for only a few minutes.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes marketing and lumens sell........simple as that really and of course bragging rights i guess for some.

I see turbo or what ever you the manufacturer call it, a bonus mode.............quick blast/scan and grin. If higher outputs are required then simply go for larger light/s for the mass and even improve on the heat sinking where possible. Many of my over driven "turbo's" last for a couple of mins, crazy outputs but on larger lights you can still run 2000 or 3000 or even 4000 for a respectable time. Pop can might have a turbo of 3000lm(think srmini type), yet an rc40 can run at 3000lm for as long as the cells will. To find a happy medium, the rc40vnT i find spot on, best part of 8000lm and 500kcd, yet will run for a decent time(not needed/used it over 10m at a time yet) which is impressive in itself(to me anyway).

But most pop can lights can kick out a decent 2000lm for long periods, so the turbo i look at and note, but look more into the out puts and run times of modes i think i will use the most. My car will do over twice the national speed limit, good to know if i need to get (ok ok j/k try and get!) away from the afternoon finish Apache helicopter ...........

Last edited:

firsttothescene

Enlightened
:thumbsup:Just like "Tim the toolman Taylor" from the show Home Improvement from years back he had the cylinder count (total amount of cylinders in all the vehicles, tools, etc.. he had) CPF members should have a total "lumen count" of all the lights they own :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
:thumbsup:Just like "Tim the toolman Taylor" from the show Home Improvement from years back he had the cylinder count (total amount of cylinders in all the vehicles, tools, etc.. he had) CPF members should have a total "lumen count" of all the lights they own :)
There is often a pattern of purchases here on CPF ... which may form a "peak" , if you will :devil:

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
We all have different preferences and opinions on what settings we like. For me, I use my lights on max power[turbo] most of the time when I am on the hiking trails with THE BOSS[CAPO MY SIBERIAN],,,,,that would be every night unless there is torrential rain,we LOVE the cold!

Anyway, I started a thread years ago how the manufacturers mislead us when they claim light A will be 2000 lumens for 1 hour! Or they claim 2000 lumens and it is just a BURST mode! 2 or 3 minutes!........I never bought any of those lights. The lights I have are modded and the only thing that gets in the way is heat, which is understandable. That is when I dial it down. My Husky and this flashaholic are VERY happy With colder weather coming soon!

I do have several lights that can sustain MAX output[minus a 20/25 minute step down] for 40 minutes to an hour!:thumbsup: The TK35vn, TK75vn. TK61vn V4, K40vn, M2Xvn and a few more!

As many know I LOVE my son who turned me into a flashaholic 4 years ago!

Capo-Spring2011007_zpsd758aa80.jpg

11484017113_130801e1dc_z.jpg

Capo%20Dog%20Park%202015%20019_zpsfn9rsonh.jpg

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Mostly sales,and testing to see how far there engineers can go. No fancy answers needed.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a medium size flashlight with a medium size battery. There are settings on the flashlight.

I also have a small flashlight with small battery and settings.

I also have a large flashlight with a large battery, and settings, too.

I can run the large light at low setting for a long time. I can run the small flashlight at highest setting for a few minutes, or less.

Do I purchase these lights, and do I run them with certain settings, because I have a practical need for such?

Or do I purchase flashlights only based on the maximum amount of lumens that can be emitted if the batteries are drained in the shortest amount of time?

If the former, that makes me a Normal Person, a Normal Flashlight User?

If the latter, does that make me an obsessive-compulsive person?

Are the manufacturers targeting their advertising at people with Cluster B or Cluster C personality disorders?

If I am a Normal Flashlight User, then a flashlight is just a flashlight.

But, if I am a flashlight enthusiast, and I spend a lot more money on high performance flashlights than a Normal Person would, then does that make me liable for a personality diagnosis?

ven

Flashaholic
I dont know if this helps rich(guess not) but your normal.................the bit that might not help............like me:crazy:

Right tool for the job basically, thats why i like using the tk75vnQ70 strapped to my head at night on 100% for reading:grin2:

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
It's funny because my next purchase will be a nitecore tm03. Why? Because 2800 lumens is AWESOME! Albeit for a short period, I'm hoping to be wowwed by it. My brightest light currently is a measly 1000lm. It's time for an upgrade ��