My First Flashlight Mod Today. Shaved Dome Off the K60.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
So I watched Matt's video about how to shave the dome on the Convoy L6 and decided I would try it. However, my L6 is already neutral tint and I didn't want to make the tint too warm. Then I remembered my K60 is cool white and it always bothers me that it is too cool for my liking. So with that I began unscrewing the bezel on my K60.

Ran into a few things I hadn't thought about before starting this project:thinking:, and my shaved dome looked a bit more like an axe murdered dome when I got through with it. Clean enough though I suppose. After a couple hours, all told, the thing was back together. It occurred to me when I was screwing the battery handle back on that I might be a little miffed if it didn't turn on.

Well it runs a little hotter now, throws farther too, and all I really have to say is.... Thank Gawd!
Off to the park now to shine that sukka.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Great job. Your braver than me. I would hate the thought of destroying a great light.

Any pics of how led turned out

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Great job. Your braver than me. I would hate the thought of destroying a great light.

Any pics of how led turned out
Yeah, I think when people get inspired to do these things, typically the reality of a failure doesn't sink in at the time before the project starts or they might not ever do it. Would have been disappointed if broke my K60.

I'm going to shoot video and compare it to the T6VN since they are a little closer together now. I'll also compare those two budget XHP-70s, L6 and S70. Then the K70 for kicks followed by a part two of shots comparing the EC60 and EC60VN nw at the end. It's be something to put up onto YouTube. All high drain cells are charged and ready...

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened
I think the Convoy L6 is one of the stand out lights that you listed. It's a great light straight out of the box. Excellent value for money and good mix of throw and spill. UI maybe not as good as the k60 but at least you can order the L6 in NW form factory.

I wonder why acebeam wouldn't do a few more NW option lights like thrunite?

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I think the Convoy L6 is one of the stand out lights that you listed. It's a great light straight out of the box. Excellent value for money and good mix of throw and spill. UI maybe not as good as the k60 but at least you can order the L6 in NW form factory.

I wonder why acebeam wouldn't do a few more NW option lights like thrunite?

+1. That L6 is a killer. I already had the Throfire s70 @ $69. and thought there was no way the L6 will beat it. I was all set to fire it up and say, ok it came pretty close but, like I thought. So I fire it up and it's slightly brighter than S70 with gorgeous tint on top. Now the K60 still beats it and has ultra low mode etc. but I got my L6 shipped for under fifty without so much as a coupon code. So we are talking more than 3x the price for K60.

I like the way the K60 throws further now. And the tint is a little better too.

ven

Flashaholic
Well done, imho the xhp70 comes alive shaved dome. Throw from around 160 ish to over 200kcd should be achievable . I would guess around 500k "shaved" off the temp, maybe 5500k ish.

You need a VOB xhp70 SD drop in:naughty:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Well done, imho the xhp70 comes alive shaved dome. Throw from around 160 ish to over 200kcd should be achievable . I would guess around 500k "shaved" off the temp, maybe 5500k ish.

You need a VOB xhp70 SD drop in:naughty:
For which host light? Can you link me to this Ven?

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a K60vn with a XHP-70 NW shaved dome and the tint is real nice. I tend to like the tints around 4-5000k and the NW shaved is probably around 4500k which to me is almost perfect. Also if your afraid of ruining the led, you can get replacements and try again.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
The P60 MT-G2 made by VOB is also great. I really like the tint on that led, no need to dedome. Its a bit like a mule light with some throw, the XHP70 would be brighter and throw further.

Only down side is the need for 2 batteries to make these drop ins work.

ven

Flashaholic
For which host light? Can you link me to this Ven?

drop ins
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...S-XHP-70-lt-Copper-P60-modules-3000-OTF-lumen!

Host wise take your pick, now if its not bored like an oe surefire, then 2x 16340 cells to feed the beast(need 8.4v). If a bored host for 18650 then 2x 18350 and so on(2x 26350 and 2x 26650 for large hosts)

I use mine in an m2 host, triad tail cap

So any p60 compatible host, decent tails witch/ twisty, i went triad zerorez as its will take what ever amp is thrown at it. Colour is a little washed out, the pic not the drop in.

Unless on a higher output, even close up(1m away from a wall) you can just make out the hot spot, basically a decent reaching wall of light..........it will light up a big field fully.

ven

Flashaholic
The P60 MT-G2 made by VOB is also great. I really like the tint on that led, no need to dedome. Its a bit like a mule light with some throw, the XHP70 would be brighter and throw further.

Only down side is the need for 2 batteries to make these drop ins work.

Love the MT-G2 , awesome led and yes a little pita with the 2 cells. I see it as part of the power package:naughty: That little bit extra complexity, care required all adds to the occasion...........

mjgsxr

Enlightened
VOB drop ins give Vinhs quads and triples a good run for there money. The best thing is how smooth the beam is, no artifacts with my MT-G2. Optics always seem to have not as clean a beam.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, triples/quads a huge hot spot with spill around close up, optics do cause slight artifacts if you look for them. I like triples and quads a lot though, but i also love a variety in types. Agree the xhp70 and the mt g2 are walls of pretty much what i call perfect light.

xhp70 SD although the phone cant pick up all the brightness, as i usually say, 30% of what i see

The host pre triad

Decent reach

Tree in distance is 150m away and obviously brighter to the eye due to the phone not being sufficient to pick the light up

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I think optics are ok but I have a preference for reflector lights too.
P1080319_zpsjujtz5n9.jpg

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Those are some beautiful little lights. Awesome output for sure. Yes, the reflector is I think, more pure. Just when I thought it was safe to stop freaking out about lights that I want. :mecry:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Man, trying to hold down the lead wire flush to the pad while feeding solder in one hand and holding the iron in the other, without dirtying it. Way down in there with 47 y/o welder's eyes. It got a little frustrating I'll admit and I'm slightly worried that one of my joints might pop loose if it didn't fuse well.

ven

Flashaholic
Those are some beautiful little lights. Awesome output for sure. Yes, the reflector is I think, more pure. Just when I thought it was safe to stop freaking out about lights that I want. :mecry:

Cool pics:thumbsup:
Big lights are great for many reasons(high output for decent amounts of time and that substantial feel). However its not always convenient to take a k60 out to a restaurant etc etc, a p60 host can slip in your pants/jacket. Yet when wielded, can give out a baby k60 output(well not that far off tbh at 3000+lm). Why not have a pocket of sunshine:naughty:

Never safe! you need at least one quad:poke:and an xhp70 SD p60.............minimum!

I get more use out of these than my others, a lot down to using the format in work and dinged hosts are not an issue as i expect it. More special and fancy types are for fun and use at home and about for walks/camping etc. Basically not being dropped from height on unforgiving metal platforms and stuff!! So i get the desired beam profile, LED and tint option for the application, then wrap it up in a tough host..............best of both worlds for me.