Can somebody explain Olight high drain C5 battery?

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
Olight has a new rechargeable C5 battery for high drain. What is the diffenrence with the rechargeable 123A.
In my limited knowledge i thought that the 650mAh was stronger than the 550mAh. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a proprietary cell specifically designed for the way the S1R charges at the base of the light. 550mah just signifies the cells capacity. The cell is a 2.75 amp cell designed to be able to power the little light to 900 lumens. No other RCR123 cell can be charged in the light. Olight designed the charging system to charge this cell in the light specifically. I have this light and use new AW 750mah 16340 cells in it as well as 700mah eFest red 16340 cells as well. They both work fine. Basically Olight is trying to sell you batteries.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........In my limited knowledge i thought that the 650mAh was stronger than the 550mAh. Thanks for any input!

Hi Marfenix, I just wanted to respond to this part of your comment.

I've had to learn that this is not necessarily the case. Check out this link from HKJ, a battery guru who frequents CPF:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Now select Samsung 18650 -30Q (3000mah), and Samsung 18650 - 35E (3500mah) in the other side, just as an example. Choose 5A and then compare that to 15A. Which one is "stronger" depends upon the current draw. In this case, the extra 500mah might be a dim candle running for 2 days when in practical use the batteries would be on charge and the light has underperformed for the entire curve up to that point (I'll call it "usable capacity"). Unless it's a zombie apocalypse, of course, and you need your light to just keep going...... [emoji3]

Generally speaking, the higher the capacity the less a battery is able to perform in super high drain applications. [emoji106]

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of capacity a bit like fuel in a car. Do you think a car with a 20 gallon tank is better/stronger than one with a 15 gallon tank.