Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

keithy

Enlightened
Olight have a new USB single cell charger coming out.
uc-2.jpg

uc-1.jpg

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/accessories/olight-uc-magnetic-usb-charger.html

It will be able to charge both lithium batteries as well as NiMH batteries. It is magnetic, and you don't have to worry about polarity.

Specs from the site:

• USB powered with a charging current of 750mA.
  • Compatible with ① lithium batteries with a rated voltage between 3.6V and 3.7V. ② NiMH batteries.
  • Charging for dummies. There is no need for matching the polarities, as the charger can automatically
  • recognize them when in use.
  • All sizes compatible. It works perfectly on cylinder shaped batteries of variable diameters and lengths.
  • Tangle-free flat cable design. Easy for storing and organizing.
The charge rate might be on the high side for smaller batteries like AAAs or 14500s but I like this as a small portable option to use with my portable USB solar panels.

Looks like Olight store has a current deal to try these out for $1 http://www.olightstore.com/batteries-and-chargers/olight-universal-magnetic-usb-charger

No good for me as I'm in Australia, but maybe someone else might try it out?

keithy

Enlightened
Looks like an interesting idea, but with 750mA charge current it is not very good for small cells.

That's what I think as well and mentioned above, but without a case to use a slide measure, I'm not sure how they can adjust for this - maybe a switch on the cable somewhere for a lower current?

I've not seen anyone else come up with a charger like this. Has anyone offered to send one of these to you to test?

I had a quick look at the $1 Deal from olightstore, but couldn't find info on international shipping.

HKJ

Flashaholic
That's what I think as well and mentioned above, but without a case to use a slide measure, I'm not sure how they can adjust for this - maybe a switch on the cable somewhere for a lower current?

I've not seen anyone else come up with a charger like this. Has anyone offered to send one of these to you to test?

I had a quick look at the $1 Deal from olightstore, but couldn't find info on international shipping.

Long time ago CottonPicker was selling this type of charger, but they was more expensive.

Nobody has send me one of these and I have not bought one either (At least not yet).

One of the CottonPickers chargers:
DSC_3127.jpg

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exciting design, for smaller batteries it might be practical to find an equally minimalist way to parallel charge 2 or more with this charger.
I went ahead and ordered one, 6$ total with shipping, lol.

Last edited:

keithy

Enlightened
Long time ago CottonPicker was selling this type of charger, but they was more expensive.

Nobody has send me one of these and I have not bought one either (At least not yet).

One of the CottonPickers chargers:
DSC_3127.jpg

Nice. I never saw the cottonpicker chargers. I have just looked up the thread now and it is well before I started lurking on CPF.

I went ahead and ordered one, 6$ total with shipping, lol.

Glad someone could take advantage of it. It looks like $5 to US, $10 to Canada, but no international options.

Oh well, I will have to wait until it gets stocked elsewhere and see what the reviews are like. Looks ok for AA NiMH and 18650s though.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
i built something like this many many years ago using the Maxim 1811 i believe. it even had a switch to select between 4.1 and 4.2v

i can't find a pic

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up. $1.00 plus $5.00 shipping US. Cheap money for a spare USB charger when your on the go. :thumbsup:

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
Hey everyone, I talked to Chris (I think) at Olight World this morning and was told that the charger is actually smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged and adjust the output accordingly. Sounds like a very interesting travel/go bag charger.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I talked to Chris (I think) at Olight World this morning and was told that the charger is actually smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged and adjust the output accordingly. Sounds like a very interesting travel/go bag charger.

It is impossible for such a charger to be "smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged". Pure snake oil.

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is impossible for such a charger to be "smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged". Pure snake oil.

My guess is that he mixed up its ability to distinguish between NIMH and Lithium batteries and NOT the capacity. Maybe I'm wrong.