SunwayLED        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

Default Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

Olight have a new USB single cell charger coming out.

https://olightworld.com/store/flashl...b-charger.html

It will be able to charge both lithium batteries as well as NiMH batteries. It is magnetic, and you don't have to worry about polarity.

Specs from the site:

• USB powered with a charging current of 750mA.
    • Compatible with ① lithium batteries with a rated voltage between 3.6V and 3.7V. ② NiMH batteries.
    • Charging for dummies. There is no need for matching the polarities, as the charger can automatically
    • recognize them when in use.
    • All sizes compatible. It works perfectly on cylinder shaped batteries of variable diameters and lengths.
    • Tangle-free flat cable design. Easy for storing and organizing.

The charge rate might be on the high side for smaller batteries like AAAs or 14500s but I like this as a small portable option to use with my portable USB solar panels.

Looks like Olight store has a current deal to try these out for $1 http://www.olightstore.com/batteries...ic-usb-charger

No good for me as I'm in Australia, but maybe someone else might try it out?

Default Re: Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

Looks like an interesting idea, but with 750mA charge current it is not very good for small cells.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Looks like an interesting idea, but with 750mA charge current it is not very good for small cells.
    That's what I think as well and mentioned above, but without a case to use a slide measure, I'm not sure how they can adjust for this - maybe a switch on the cable somewhere for a lower current?

I've not seen anyone else come up with a charger like this. Has anyone offered to send one of these to you to test?

I had a quick look at the $1 Deal from olightstore, but couldn't find info on international shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    That's what I think as well and mentioned above, but without a case to use a slide measure, I'm not sure how they can adjust for this - maybe a switch on the cable somewhere for a lower current?

I've not seen anyone else come up with a charger like this. Has anyone offered to send one of these to you to test?

I had a quick look at the $1 Deal from olightstore, but couldn't find info on international shipping.
    Long time ago CottonPicker was selling this type of charger, but they was more expensive.

Nobody has send me one of these and I have not bought one either (At least not yet).

One of the CottonPickers chargers:
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Exciting design, for smaller batteries it might be practical to find an equally minimalist way to parallel charge 2 or more with this charger.
    I went ahead and ordered one, 6$ total with shipping, lol.
    Last edited by eh4; 09-24-2016 at 06:00 AM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Long time ago CottonPicker was selling this type of charger, but they was more expensive.

Nobody has send me one of these and I have not bought one either (At least not yet).

One of the CottonPickers chargers:
    Nice. I never saw the cottonpicker chargers. I have just looked up the thread now and it is well before I started lurking on CPF.

I went ahead and ordered one, 6$ total with shipping, lol.
    Glad someone could take advantage of it. It looks like $5 to US, $10 to Canada, but no international options.

Oh well, I will have to wait until it gets stocked elsewhere and see what the reviews are like. Looks ok for AA NiMH and 18650s though.

i built something like this many many years ago using the Maxim 1811 i believe. it even had a switch to select between 4.1 and 4.2v

i can't find a pic

I picked one up. $1.00 plus $5.00 shipping US. Cheap money for a spare USB charger when your on the go.

Unenlightened

Picked one up also, can't really go wrong for $6. I think it would be a good charger for my go bag.

Quote Originally Posted by krash610 View Post
    Picked one up also, can't really go wrong for $6. I think it would be a good charger for my go bag.
    Same here!
    GOOD TINT!

Make your own, an micro-usb 1amp charger/pcb is only like $0.36 each, I have a couple on order.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS...467578996.html

John
    SkyRC MC3000 - 2xMaha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

Hmmm only if you live in the US can you get one.....

If you were using a USB power source that only delivered .5mAh would that that reduce the charging current also? Not an expert by any means, but it makes sense to me.

Yes, the charger output will be limited for sure.

Hey everyone, I talked to Chris (I think) at Olight World this morning and was told that the charger is actually smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged and adjust the output accordingly. Sounds like a very interesting travel/go bag charger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brighterthanthesun View Post
    Hey everyone, I talked to Chris (I think) at Olight World this morning and was told that the charger is actually smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged and adjust the output accordingly. Sounds like a very interesting travel/go bag charger.
    It is impossible for such a charger to be "smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged". Pure snake oil.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 09-29-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    It is impossible for such a charger to be "smart enough to identify the capacity of the cell being charged". Pure snake oil.

My guess is that he mixed up its ability to distinguish between NIMH and Lithium batteries and NOT the capacity. Maybe I'm wrong.

Flashaholic*

Cool! I like that it has auto polarity.

Would very much like to see a full @HKJ review ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Would very much like to see a full @HKJ review ....
    +1

Theoretically, charger could start at low current, see how fast cell voltage is rising, estimate capacity from there, then raise current if necessary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    Theoretically, charger could start at low current, see how fast cell voltage is rising, estimate capacity from there, then raise current if necessary.
    Such marketing hype has already been deconstructed in the thread on Nitecore's "Superb Charger SC2" with claims of "Active Charging with Infinite Intelligence ... that automatically detects battery capacities".

It is sad that the culture of grossly exaggerated (capacity) claims is spreading to chargers too. It appears that Nitecore has recently scaled back their exaggerated claims a bit in their latest brochures. Maybe the critiques here (and elsewhere) are having some impact. If only the same were true for 10000mAh Ultraxxx cells.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Such marketing hype has already been deconstructed in the thread on Nitecore's "Superb Charger SC2" with claims of ""Active Charging with Infinite Intelligence ... that automatically detects battery capacities".

It is sad that the culture of grossly exaggerated (capacity) claims is spreading to chargers too. It appears that Nitecore has recently scaled back their exaggerated claims a bit in their latest brochures. Maybe the critiques here (and elsewhere) are having some impact. If only the same were true for 10000mAh Ultraxxx cells.
    I agree about marketing hype, I am just saying it's not impossible to make such a charger.

Banned

I agree about marketing hype, I am just saying it's not impossible to make such a charger.
    To successfully develop automatic optimum-charging current heuristics would require significant R&D - something very unlikely to come from a small consumer-level charger company. It would require access to extensive databases of chemistry parameters etc in order to be sure to achieve an effective balance of safety and performance across the entire spectrum. Such databases do exist (e.g. TI has large databases for configuring fuel gauges). Mining this data might yield some some decent heuristics. But I am not aware of any work along those lines that has percolated down to consumer-level devices.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.

To successfully develop automatic optimum-charging current heuristics would require significant R&D - something very unlikely to come from a small consumer-level charger company. It would require access to extensive databases of chemistry parameters etc in order to be sure to achieve an effective balance of safety and performance across the entire spectrum. Such databases do exist (e.g. TI has large databases for configuring fuel gauges). Mining this data might yield some some decent heuristics. But I am now aware of any work along those lines that has percolated down to consumer-level devices.
    You are over complicating it. Any charger that shows charged percentage is already estimating cell capacity.

Banned

You are over complicating it. Any charger that shows charged percentage is already estimating cell capacity.
    Not true. It is innately complex due to the very wide spectrum of chemistry, capacity, health, etc that a general charger must handle. Those "guesstimates" of capaciy that you refer to are generally so far off the mark that they are mostly useless (check the many complaints on chargers that do such guessing).

Such guesses are nowhere near accurate enough to universally automagically infer a safe and efficient charging current. If the guess is too conservative then it will yield painfully slow charges on some cells. If it's too agressive then it will damage some cells (and possibly be unsafe). To implement an appropriate balance that is reasonable for most all scenarios is much more tricky than it may seem at first glance.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-01-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Banned

Perhaps a little history will prove illuminating. There once was an RC hobby charger by a widely respected (American) manufacturer (Astroflight 109) that claimed to be able to automagically guess the number of cells in LiPo packs. This did not always work correctly, and led to many fires, e.g. see here. The designer initially refused to admit this was a design error, but eventually (after many requests, liability issues, etc) they issued a revised firmware chip (user swappable) that forced the user to confirm that it had guessed the correct number of cells before proceeding with the charge.

This specific problem only affects pack chargers (cells in series), but there are related safety problems for non-pack chargers. Namely, if the charger incorrectly guesses cell capacity then it may end up charging a very low capacity cell at very high charge rate, surely damaging the cell, and possibly leading to venting (with flames).

It is a nontrivial task to devise heuristics that are both safe and efficient. This is why such heuristics have yet to appear in such chargers (despite marketing snake-oil claims to the contrary). Advances at the consumer level will likely appear in the not-too-distant future, but we are not quite there yet.

Not true. It is innately complex due to the very wide spectrum of chemistry, capacity, health, etc that a general charger must handle. Those "guesstimates" of capaciy that you refer to are generally so far off the mark that they are mostly useless (check the many complaints on chargers that do such guessing).

Such guesses are nowhere near accurate enough to universally automagically infer a safe and efficient charging voltage. If the guess is too conservative then it will yield painfully slow charges on some cells. If it's too agressive then it will damage some cells (and possibly be unsafe). To implement an appropriate balance that is reasonable for most all scenarios is much more tricky than it may seem at first glance.
    You keep talking about some mythical "safe and efficient charging voltage", while most Li-Ion chargers use CC/CV algorithm with predetermined voltage levels. Are you sure you sufficiently understand how a charger works to discuss this subject?

Many current chargers show charging percentage pretty accurately. There is nothing extraordinary about it - they just measure the speed of voltage rise in the cell.

Banned

You keep talking about some mythical "safe and efficient charging voltage", while most Li-Ion chargers use CC/CV algorithm with predetermined voltage levels. Are you sure you sufficiently understand how a charger works to discuss this subject?
    The above discussion concerns automatic selection of charging current. That goes beyond standard CC/CV algorithms. And, yes, I have expertise in such matters, having consulted on the design of some charging and fuel gauge algorithms used in professional chargers.

Many current chargers show charging percentage pretty accurately. There is nothing extraordinary about it - they just measure the speed of voltage rise in the cell.
    This is false. There are no consumer-level chargers that can quickly and accurately measure SOC in general, i.e. for arbitrary cells in arbitrary states. To do so requires requires access to information that is not accessible to the charger (precise chemistry, IR profiles, etc). Read the literature on fuel gauge algorithms if you desire to learn more about such matters, e.g. look up the TI impedance tracking algorithm for a start.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 10-01-2016 at 05:14 PM.

This is false. There are no consumer-level chargers that can quickly and accurately measure SOC in general, i.e. for arbitrary cells in arbitrary states. To do so requires requires access to information that is not accessible to the charger (precise chemistry, IR profiles, etc). Read the literature on fuel gauge algorithms if you desire to learn more about such matters, e.g. look up the TI impedance tracking algorithm for a start.
    No one is talking about measuring state of charge. That is complete unnecessary for the purpose of automatic charging current selection. Please re-read what I said from the very beginning. All that is required is to measure speed of cell voltage rise, once the charging starts. This allows to relatively accurately estimate remaining capacity until cell will be full and select appropriate current. It does not allow to accurately estimate total cell capacity, but that is completely unnecessary for the purpose.

Examples:
    500mAh cell, with 50mAh remaining charge:
    charger starts at 0.25A, by the speed of voltage rise in the cell estimates charging at 0.25A will take about two hours, stays at 0.25A, finishes in about two hours.

3500mAh cell, with 3000mAh remaining charge:
    charger starts at 0.25A, by the speed of voltage rise in the cell estimates charging at 0.25A will take about two hours, stays at 0.25A, finishes in about two hours.

3500mAh cell, with 50mAh remaining charge:
    charger starts at 0.25A, by the speed of voltage rise in the cell estimates charging at 0.25A will take about 14 hours, raises current to 2A, finishes in about two hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast