MAXTOCH Shooter 2x dedomed longthrower

narmattaru

Enlightened
Disclaimer. I got this flashlight from Gearbest for review. Here is product page.
----------------------

I asked Maxtoch manager to tell about company, and below is what she wrote me:
''We are the nominated supplier of enforcement deparment, border troop, marine, fire station, sport chain stores, etc… Our products are with military standard performance and quality. We are on service of Chinese troop.
We are always pushing the boundary of flashlight's performance. Just as 2X, it reaches a maximum beam distance of 1200 meters, while its weight is almost deducted to the minimum limitation 315g. It meets the demands of hunters and most gun users.
Our flashlights are made from solid aluminum stick as attached photo, instead of hollow aluminum tube. The MCPCB with direct thermal dissipation is with red copper base, which has the best heat dissipation performance. AR lens with blue coating at both sides ensures the highest light transmitance rate and it is manufactured by Canon camera lens supplier. What's more, all key parts in MAXTOCH flashlights are with 24K gold plating to ensure the best conductivity. So when you don't need the flashlight any more, remember to keep these golden parts… lol ''
She also asked to post a couple of photos as a proof that their lenses are AR and blue coated and flashlights are made of aluminium.
98d612.jpg

3d59d2.jpg

MAXTOCH Shooter 2x dedomed
  • Lamp Beads: Cree XM-L2 U4
  • Beads Number: 1
  • Lumens Range: >1000Lumens
  • Luminous Flux: 1450Lm
  • Color Temperature: 5000K
  • Switch Type: Reverse Clicky
  • Switch Location: Tail Cap
  • Battery Type: 18650
  • Battery Quantity: 2 x 18650 battery (not included)
  • Mode: 1450-1000-250 lumens
  • Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof

Package is made of thick cardboard. Just cardboard with logo, that`s it.
ea6a8a.jpg

There is a bag with flashlight and other stuff, which are:
b54716.jpg

1037e8.jpg

Spare tail button with spring
Manual
holster
lanyard
o-rings
f3d32a.jpg

Maxtoch Shooter is a long thing, the size of Convoy L6.
aa979e.jpg

b8ce9c.jpg

And yet at the same time it is slimmer as it`s diets consist of pair of 18650, not 26650. So weight is only 315g.
a7e4f1.jpg

Bezel is deep and can be easily unscrewed.
2b1624.jpg

Reflector is SMO, deep, with dedomed XM-L2 U4 on the bottom.
abb012.jpg

90bcc2.jpg

4fe18c.jpg

8df781.jpg

406bd1.jpg

9edf3b.jpg

As manufacturer promised, lense is blue coated.
0e7966.jpg

Cooling ribs are deep
cfd79a.jpg

3ebfc5.jpg

Head and tail are bolted together.
a73d9b.jpg

There is no knurling in it`s usual way. There are some grooves instead. Anyway, grip is solid because one end of palm rests again the tactical ring and other to Maxtoch Shooter`s head.Machinery and lubrication are both ok .
ddb356.jpg

ff94b2.jpg

76bf57.jpg

b667bd.jpg
846b18.jpg

Unscrewed tail we see this
c537d7.jpg

f6ed10.jpg
c45fe0.jpg

783b0b.jpg

9321d0.jpg

UI
Simplest – full click turns the light on (there is modes memory) and then user can choose brightness with half-clicks.

d6c5ab.png

There is no Strobe\SOS. I like it, though admit that they could be moved into separate hidden mode with moonlight as addition.

There is no turbo. Stabilization is excellent. Powered with a pair of LG He4, light worked about 55mins on constant brightness and the just turned off. But, if next revision manufacturer add discharge indication, that be cool. No there is no way to figure out how long will it take for flashlight to turn off.

No camera, neither pencil test revieled PWM shimmering in any mode. Congrats, Maxtoch, I expected worse, to be frank.
Thermal dissipation is ok, I could easily hold light in high mode barehand.
What about beam distance – WOW! I`ve never used such a longthrower. For 85$ that is a seriously interesting deal.
I decided that flashlight like this deserves a lot of photos\video and did maximum I could.

maxtoch--beam.gif
maxtoch__slice.gif
maxtoch_door.gif
maxtoch_150.gif
170_m.gif
maxtoch_830.gif

At the end of video I compare Shooter with Convoy L6. Of course they are different lights, but I suppose it can give some idea of how this Maxtoch works in high mode.

OVERALL

Sometimes I get flashlights which i have no complaints about. And here is this one seldom occasion. I cannot see any similar products in price range of under 100$.

+ REALLY long beam
+ stabilization
+no PWM shimmering in any mode.
+useful mode
+unbeatable price among rivals.
- No discharge indications

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
o, now i know, thans
i think that`s cool when manufacturer takes feedback from users into account.
this 2x for its price is totally awesome. i`ve just ordered another one as gift for a guy who is sniper

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review narmattaru, great beamshots. That 830m shot on high is stunning. That video is not working for me on an iPad, perhaps the problem is here.

XML2 U4 is an interesting choice for the LED, I wonder why they chose that over the XPL-HI? Colour perhaps? 🤔

As for the development in conjunction with "another forum" [emoji38], great job done by all involved, but I wonder how it ever got through without a moonlight mode??! [emoji6]

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding for the LED choice was performance vs current draw. If I recall correctly an XPL HI required 6 amps to get the same performance as the dedomed XML2 U4 at 4.5 amps. Based on that they went with the XM-L2 to increase runtimes and maintain the same performance.

As for the moonlight mode I'm not real sure. Usually I am one who wants moonlight on all of my lights but I can say on this I don't think it's that big of a deal. The beam is so tight that on such a low output level I don't think it would be very useful.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding for the LED choice was performance vs current draw. If I recall correctly an XPL HI required 6 amps to get the same performance as the dedomed XML2 U4 at 4.5 amps. Based on that they went with the XM-L2 to increase runtimes and maintain the same performance.

As for the moonlight mode I'm not real sure. Usually I am one who wants moonlight on all of my lights but I can say on this I don't think it's that big of a deal. The beam is so tight that on such a low output level I don't think it would be very useful.

Excellent Tac Gunner, thank you. [emoji106]

My moonlight mode comment was facetious, but I fully agree. There's always the obligatory request for tint/CRI or moonlight whenever a new light comes out without them. Personally I would not keep a 2X by my bedside for sneaking around the house without waking anyone with or without moonlight mode as I may fall on it and injure myself. 🙄[emoji6]

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
I am sure they used an XML-U4 because the overall KCD rating was higher then with an XPL-HI.
They have an older model of this light that uses a De-Domed XPG2 obviously that gives you the best KCD rating but not much overall output.

Croquette

Enlightened
Yeah, a dedomed xm-l2 u4 gives way more cd than a xp-l hi.

I have a sportac two level xp-l hi and a p60 drop in with dedomed xml2 u4 both at the same amp, the dedomed xm-l2 gives me twice more lux than the sportac.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher bin of the U4, together with its smaller die (in appearance compared to the HI) give more CD than the XP-L HI.
Croquette, your dedomed XM-L2 P60 is giving you over 40k CD?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Shooter 2x. The dedome job is not the cleanest, rendering an uneven corona. Tint is noticeably green, though not puke green. Not a huge difference between medium and high. It's designed exclusively as a hunting light to be mounted on a rifle, so no moonlight mode.

Croquette

Enlightened
The higher bin of the U4, together with its smaller die (in appearance compared to the HI) give more CD than the XP-L HI.
Croquette, your dedomed XM-L2 P60 is giving you over 40k CD?

Can't give a perfectly mesured number but at the same distance I mesure 4 times the candela of my sc600 mk2 l2 wich is mesured at 10k by selfbuilt.
So yes approximately 40kcd wich is impressive for a so easy to obtain drop in.
The drop in is a generic one, not a sportac ( the dedomed one). The reflector is a bit larger and deeper, wich inprove throw a bit too.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Shooter 2x. The dedome job is not the cleanest, rendering an uneven corona. Tint is noticeably green, though not puke green. Not a huge difference between medium and high. It's designed exclusively as a hunting light to be mounted on a rifle, so no moonlight mode.

GREEN TINT!

That means game over when I hear those words.

I have just bought a Convoy L6 that has a great throw with a nice tint as opposed to the Shooter 2X where de-doming leaves that YUK GREEN TINT.

CHEERS

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREEN TINT!

That means game over when I hear those words.

I have just bought a Convoy L6 that has a great throw with a nice tint as opposed to the Shooter 2X where de-doming leaves that YUK GREEN TINT.

CHEERS

Some who also own it say they don't see green; perhaps they're lucky.
That on mine is noticeably green at night, but I soon forget about it with use.
With daylight as a reference though, it is puke green.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Have to say this is a great light. Don't think you'll find a better throwing light stock for the money. The dedome job on mine is very good . It just feels like a quality product and a nice change from all the 3/4 18650 battery handled throwers.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
Any special batteries needed for this throw beast?
Button top?
Protected/unprotected?
Amp rating?
Size?

I have an L6 that I can't use because batteries have not been delivered.
The whole battery issue with flashlights is becoming a pita for me.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
I use unprotected button top batteries in mine. Any good 18650 as it only draws 4.5 amp max.

Have not tryed protected 18650 but manufacture lists them on there specs , should be enough room.

Theodore41

Enlightened
I use unprotected button top batteries in mine. Any good 18650 as it only draws 4.5 amp max.

Have not tryed protected 18650 but manufacture lists them on there specs , should be enough room.

I use the manufacture's suggested protected batteries,but changing to 30Qs I have not seen any difference.The only issue for me,is the tint,which is yellowish,(good for hunters),so I have asked a friend to choose from some dedomed leds of the same type,so as to find one towards the cooler side.I hope he succeeds.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
4.5 A is at the emitter, so more like just over 2 amps out of the cells. No need for high drain or unprotected cells. Protected is safer anyways.

jimbo231

Enlightened
Sorry to post in an old thread but I'm ready to buy the 2x and batteries would need to deliver 4.5amps on high not just over 2 as current does not add up in series...right?