Need filter for uv panel

droflex

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I searched the internet for a place I could ask this question and this seems like the place that may give me the answer.

What I want to do is cure some automotive clear coat using a uv light. It's a two part clear.

I'd like to add a photoinitiator to it but not sure where to buy yet. Maybe someone has a suggestion?

But, that wasn't my original question.

What I have is a led panel that is typically used for clubs. These are the specs:

• Light Source: 192 LEDs (UV) 0.25 W (20 mA), 100,000 hours life expectancy
  • Power Linking: 43 units @ 120 V; 74 units @ 230 V
  • Input Voltage: 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (auto-ranging)
  • Power and Current: 12 W, 0.1 A @ 120 V, 60 Hz
    11 W, 0.1 A @ 230 V, 50 Hz
  • Weight: 4.9 lb (2.2 kg)
  • Dimensions: 14 x 9.8 x 6.5 in (356 x 248 x 165 mm)
  • Approvals: CE
  • Optional Controllers: IRC-6
  • Wavelength: 405 nm
From what I understand, I most likely need to be at 365nm for cure using a photoinitiator.

Is there a some kind of film I can place over the front panel to decrease the 405nm down to 365nm? I was even thinking liquid sunscreen as a last resort. Don't know if it will work but it's suppose to block uv rays.

Thanks!

droflex

Newly Enlightened
PS... I know the unit is not technically a flood-light but because of the size, it could be used as one. That's why I put the question in here.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
No, there is no way to "decrease" LED spectrum. Since leds are narrow band devices.
Filters can be used on wide band light sources, such as incadescents or xenon, to remove unnecessary bands. But this will not work with UV leds.