Help!! Charging NiCd and Lipo batteries

boblalux

Newly Enlightened
The NiCd batteries of my 14.4 V power drill are finished, and to buy a new pack, I would have to pay nearly as much as the new drill!!! Typical! Therefore, I now use 2 packs alternately which I assembled ....
Pack 1: NiCD consisting of 12 1.2V NiCd cells in series.
Pack 2: Li-ion consisting of 4 3.7V 18650 cells in series.
Wonderful, they both work a peach, notwithstanding the slight disadvantage of having to carry the relevant pack in use with its attachment cable (I can't fit them in the original container, as I can't solder them).

Problem: in each case, I have to take the pack apart to charge EACH individual cell.

Question: for both the 12 NiCd cells, and the 4 Li-ion cells, is there any way I can charge the whole unit, ie the 15V NiCd pack, and the 15V Lipo pack? My NiCd charger is the TRONIC KH980 NiCd/NiMH intelligent charger (1.2V!!!), and Li-ion charger for the Li*-ion cells (3.7V!!!)? Careful use of a Pb charger?

Perhaps there is no way around it ...... principally, each cell must be individually charged?

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like you need to wire up an additional series balance charging cable and get a proper hobby charger.