Legend LX re-design

Harrkev

Enlightened
I purchased a Legend LX about a year ago, and liked it a lot! It is the best under-$20 light around. But mine was dropped and destroyed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So, I just replaced it. And the new one DOES NOT HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE FOCUS. When I first opened it up, I tried twisting the head. No luck. I figured that it must be stuck, so I got a VERY good grip and turned hard enough that the rubber turned on the light! After straining for a while, I decided that when all else fails, read the instructions. Looking at the packaging, it does not even mention that the light can be focused.

I am going from memory here for the old light, but I get the impression that the new light is not focused nearly as tight as I could get my old one! It is still nice and bright, but it will NOT throw as far as my old one could. It is still nice, but now it is not as much of a bargain at $20 since the throw is now obviously inferior to a Surefire.

I think that the reviewers should take note of this and make a mention of it in their reviews (are you listening Craig and Quickbeam)...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...I have an old style and a new style...I actually like the new style...It doesn't get as tight in focus as the old style, though...

--dan

Harrkev

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
Yup...I have an old style and a new style...I actually like the new style...It doesn't get as tight in focus as the old style, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is there to like better??? From the outside, they look the same. The ONLY difference that I can tell is that you cannot twist the head to focus. But keep in mind that I no longer have my old one to do a side-by-side comparison.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The only fixed focus lights I can really get worked up about are:

A: LED
B: Surefire
C: Rayovac/Sams Industrials
D: Spotlights

Everything else with adjustable focus USUALLY just gets tweaked now and again to the best focus. Many of my lights get Writeright or Acrylite to better the beam.

Changing first the PM6, and now the Legend are answers to problems that DO NOT EXIST!

I sure hope manufacturers do some reading here on CPF!

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Actually, the Legend changed first. There were quite a few threads about the new non-focusing LX late last year.

And I agree, they ruined a really fine light.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have been looking for an LX, but every Wal-Mart I have been to is out of them. I'm guessing they sold a ton of them at xmas and haven't restocked yet?

I basically wanted one because of the red and blue filters, but I have since found other ways to get by... i.e. other lights. I'll probably just order some filters for my SF lights sometime.

As side note, it appears Brinkman has really come a long way since 10 years ago... I think that's the last time I bought a Brinkman light.

--Jason

arioch

Enlightened
The Legend LX is being sold at the Sports Authority in my town; if you have a SA where you live, it might be worth a look see. The LX's are also cheaper at SA ($19.99) than at WalMart ($22.98) here.

BTW, I don't recall that the LX has colored lens filters in the package. I think you might be referring to the Brinkman 2AA rebel, which does have red and amber lenses for the light. Of course, I have not seen the new nonfocusing LX's yet, and I could be wrong ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I think that the reviewers should take note of this and make a mention of it in their reviews (are you listening Craig and Quickbeam)...

[/ QUOTE ]

[Stands On Soapbox] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

...and what makes you think we read every single frikkin' post on CPF?!?!? Pardon me if I get a little pissy, but if there is a problem with any of my reviews SEND ME AN E-MAIL SO I'LL KNOW I NEED TO FIX IT, don't just post it to CPF! Jeez! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

This is SO much like complaining about a flashlight problem on CPF instead of calling the frikkin' manufacturer. You know what'll happen? NOTHING!

Perfect example:

[ QUOTE ]
Changing first the PM6, and now the Legend are answers to problems that DO NOT EXIST!

I sure hope manufacturers do some reading here on CPF!

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess what! THEY AREN'T. Send them an E-mail or call them!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[steps off soapbox]

There! I feel much better now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've added in the fact that it's not focusable to the review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
[Stands On Soapbox] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

...and what makes you think we read every single frikkin' post on CPF?!?!? Pardon me if I get a little pissy, but if there is a problem with any of my reviews SEND ME AN E-MAIL SO I'LL KNOW I NEED TO FIX IT, don't just post it to CPF! Jeez! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

This is SO much like complaining about a flashlight problem on CPF instead of calling the frikkin' manufacturer. You know what'll happen? NOTHING!

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down! Believe me when I say that this was NOT intended as a criticism. I do not have a problem! This is simply a "new development" in a light. People trust and respect your reviews (I know that I do). But if somebody read one of your reviews and purchased a light, they might be disappointed in not receiving a feature. Maybe next time I will just keep my mouth shut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BTW: I did PM you once and never received a reply. Based on that, I do not even know if you read you PMs.

And you DO read all of the messages, don't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: One more thing.... I was not certain if it was truly a design change, or if my model was somehow defective. This is why I use a public forum such as this. If I e-mail you, then you get MY opinion, which could be wrong. If you see it here, then others get a chance to voice their opinions too.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. You just happened to catch me in a bad mood. Sorry about that. I'm feeling much nicer today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif