Motorcycle lighting

souperdoo

Newly Enlightened
Arrrgh!

I've been riding since the early '70s and currently ride either a '12 BMW R1200RT or an '09 Kawasaki KLR650.

Getting good lighting on a motorcycle is, and always has been, difficult. Motorcycles are ~1/3 the size of a small car, but we can't get by with any less lighting, though typically we have less than half that of a car. Add to that our conspicuity problems (hold your thumb out at arm's length; you can cover a motorcycle). We have issues with large changes in roll and pitch, too. Brake hard and the forward illumination shrinks from 150 feet to 20 feet; roll through a corner at a 45° and all you can really see is gravel on one side and tree tops on the other.

It was easier in the '70s when motorcycles essentially ran one 'automotive' headlight, as one could fit a decent European headlight and fit some auxiliary lighting to a hoop-style crash bar (the sort that were fitted to the police KZ1000s). I had a 1979 Honda CX500 that I fitted a 7" Cibié to, later followed by a Hella. On the crash bar I had one fog light and one driving light, both SEV Marchal. It had pretty good lighting, for the time.

For many the solution is to simply not ride at night, but that has never been a viable option for me, so I've always been on the hunt for good lighting.

Arguably, automotive lighting has gotten much better over the past 40 years, but motorcycle lighting, not so much. The platform doesn't even lend itself to improving lighting, as the amount of plastic that gets in the way of attach points has increased and, as ever, there simply isn't real estate to do it on. Manufacturers aren't working all that hard on building good lighting for the average bike, though they are starting to introduce some HID.

With my 2000 F-250 I was able to ditch the aero-style headlights and install a complete bucket-style headlight system from the base model, then install good wiring, relays, and a pair of 5X7 Cibiés, then put a pair of Oscars on the bumper (thanks DS, for both). Yay, I could see well in the desert, that vehicle's normal environs.

Today I have a Forester and its lighting is OK and I haven't done anything to it yet, as it's mostly a city car.

The bikes are a different matter. The BMW's lighting ain't too shabby, as it comes with two H7 low beams and one H7 high beam. I've added one each pair of Hella FF50 fog and driving lights. The fogs help with the Tule fog and the driving lights are mounted far lower than optimal and they do help some, but are seldom used. I use the Osram AllSeasons in the low beams, again for the Tule fog. Tule fog is special, there are times when the best option is to stop and get off the road and have a cuppa joe. At its worst, this stuff lives on the I5 where you come down off of the Grapevine at 80mph and BAM!, you hit a wall of fog with visibility in the 3" range. Makes for some spectacular pile-ups.

The KLR is another matter. It has one H7 for low and one H7 for high. It defines poor lighting, but it's better than the earlier ones, which run a poor H4 lamp in the 5X7 size. Mounting options for lights are Slim and None, and Slim just left town... KLRs don't have any electrical power to spare, either.

I wind up trying to educate people in the KLR community, but you have to understand KLR people. They are rather, um, 'frugal'. The best of them will convert everything in the dash to LED to try and eek some spare wattage out so they can mount some aux lights on the lower triple tree and then they go for the best bulb(s) they can in the headlights. There seem to be some issues with installing a decent H4 headlamp, though I don't understand what it is :^/.

Most, though, if they do anything will tend to go for a PnP HID and some LED aux in the $20 range. Bright is good, right? I went out and bought PnP systems for both H7 and H4 and did a comparison of before and after beam patterns for them, made a video of how the H4 capsule shakes like a dog poopin' peach pits due to the solenoid, wrote it up with 8X10 colored glossy photos with circles and arrows and words on the back tellin' everybody what it was all about, just to show them that that option ain't good. Crickets.

For my KLR I'm playing with some different options but I'm a bit of a Luddite and haven't bought in to the LED aux movement yet; I don't think it's quite ready. Of course, it doesn't have the power to run incandescent aux. The equipment that is ready (for headlights) is very expensive and requires ditching the entire front end of the bike and, candidly, I've no idea if it has gone through any sort of 108 acceptance nor what the beam pattern looks like. I mostly take the approach that the KLR is both slow and has bad brakes, so just ride it accordingly. ;^)

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Getting good lighting on a motorcycle is, and always has been, difficult.

It's a lot easier (in principle) than it ever has been, though, because now we have LEDs that give a lot of light for not much power. So we're out of the era when motorcycles had, at best, a single H4 or HS1 headlamp or a 30-watt sealed beam, etc. The difficulty is, retrofit of a good LED headlamp is only possible if the motorcycle accepts (or can be reworked to accept) a standard-size headlamp.

roll through a corner at a 45° and all you can really see is gravel on one side and tree tops on the other.

The JW Speaker adaptive LED motorcycle headlamps in standard 7" and 5.75" round formats solve this nicely, but that's no consolation if your bike can't accept a standard round headlamp.

It was easier in the '70s when motorcycles essentially ran one 'automotive' headlight, as one could fit a decent European headlight

It is an error to think that a European headlamp is necessarily superior to a US lamp. That is definitely not the case.

Arguably, automotive lighting has gotten much better over the past 40 years

There have certainly been improvements, but there has been some backsliding, too.

but motorcycle lighting, not so much

Now, that's just not true. It is technically and legally possible to build a better-performing motorcycle lighting system now than it ever has been, and motorcycle makers are (to varying degrees) doing so. And there's more research and knowledge now than ever before about how to effectively light motorcycles (i.e., to reduce crashes).

Manufacturers aren't working all that hard on building good lighting for the average bike, though they are starting to introduce some HID.

You're behind the times. Manufacturers certainly are upping their game on motorcycle lighting...take a walk through any motorcycle show (the kind where the makers present their offerings, not the kind where owners show off their customized efforts) and see it for yourself: a whole lot of LED headlamps, a whole lot of effective daytime running lights and conspicuity lights of various kinds, much better brake lights, etc. And HID is basically as dead of a technology as compact fluorescent light bulbs: you can still get them, but no effort's being put into them and they're not being designed into new models because LEDs offer a better value proposition.

With my 2000 F-250 I was able to ditch the aero-style headlights and install a complete bucket-style headlight system from the base model, then install good wiring, relays, and a pair of 5X7 Cibiés, then put a pair of Oscars on the bumper

That's a nice setup.

The BMW's lighting ain't too shabby, as it comes with two H7 low beams and one H7 high beam. I use the Osram AllSeasons in the low beams

You could be doing much better than that. You'd have much better low beam seeing if you were to use these instead, and your bad-weather seeing would not be any worse. Those "all season" type of bulbs (dichroic filter) really were never a good idea, and they do not provide an actual benefit. For high beam, you'd want the Osram 65w H7 bulb.

The KLR is another matter. It has one H7 for low and one H7 for high. KLRs don't have any electrical power to spare, either.

Well, that would call for one of these in the low beam, and one in the high beam, and a careful aim job.

There seem to be some issues with installing a decent H4 headlamp, though I don't understand what it is

It would probably be foolish to give up the original H7 low beam in favor of an H4. It would probably be a significant step backward.

wrote it up with 8X10 colored glossy photos with circles and arrows and words on the back tellin' everybody what it was all about, just to show them that that option ain't good. Crickets.

Yup!

I'm a bit of a Luddite and haven't bought in to the LED aux movement yet; I don't think it's quite ready.

"Ready" in what sense? There are very good LED lamps on the market, and of course there are very poor ones.

souperdoo

Newly Enlightened
Virgil,

Thanks for your reasoned response, I agree on all points, though I will clarify what I meant in a couple on a couple of points.

It's a lot easier (in principle) than it ever has been, though, because now we have LEDs that give a lot of light for not much power. So we're out of the era when motorcycles had, at best, a single H4 or HS1 headlamp or a 30-watt sealed beam, etc. The difficulty is, retrofit of a good LED headlamp is only possible if the motorcycle accepts (or can be reworked to accept) a standard-size headlamp.

The JW Speaker adaptive LED motorcycle headlamps in standard 7" and 5.75" round formats solve this nicely, but that's no consolation if your bike can't accept a standard round headlamp.

I have looked at some of the LED offerings, such as the Trucklite. I haven't really studied the JWS products yet. My problem is that I would have to go to a naked bike to use them. The hardware exists to easily do that and the cost is not outrageous, but I would lose the fairing, the integrated dash, and the windscreen, all of which have value to me. It's a good choice, though, for a bike that is primarily dedicated to off-road use. If it doesn't exist now, in the future there may become available small lamps that could be retrofitted into the fairing and the fairing's lens gotten out of the way. In my case, such a lamp would need to be on the order of 4" in diameter. At that size it could probably be made to fit in the KLR fairing and be independently aimable, should a pair be fitted.

Candidly, I am behind the times on what can now be legally done in this regard, but I'm doing some research.

It is an error to think that a European headlamp is necessarily superior to a US lamp. That is definitely not the case.

Today, I agree. Back then I wouldn't have. At the time the standard American lighting was wither 5 3/4" quads or 7" pairs of sealed beam tungstens. Wagner Ts ruled the day and non-sealed beam lamps with halogen bulbs weren't accepted. There was, IIRC, and exception for motorcycles in the late 70s. At any rate, a lamp from Europe was better than what one could get down at the auto parts store.

You're behind the times. Manufacturers certainly are upping their game on motorcycle lighting...take a walk through any motorcycle show (the kind where the makers present their offerings, not the kind where owners show off their customized efforts) and see it for yourself: a whole lot of LED headlamps, a whole lot of effective daytime running lights and conspicuity lights of various kinds, much better brake lights, etc. And HID is basically as dead of a technology as compact fluorescent light bulbs: you can still get them, but no effort's being put into them and they're not being designed into new models because LEDs offer a better value proposition.

Yes, I probably am. I do know that there is better lighting on some models, most notably the attempt BMW has made with an adaptive headlight on the K1600. I know many of the higher end bikes are getting better, or at least an attempt is being made. And I know that the improvements will trickle down to the proletariat level of bike, but right now it's pretty hard to beat the cost-per-unit on halogen. I've also gotten some feedback from folks that some of the newer lighting isn't yet what riders feel they need.

You could be doing much better than that. You'd have much better low beam seeing if you were to use these instead, and your bad-weather seeing would not be any worse. Those "all season" type of bulbs (dichroic filter) really were never a good idea, and they do not provide an actual benefit. For high beam, you'd want the Osram 65w H7 bulb.

Well, that would call for one of these in the low beam, and one in the high beam, and a careful aim job.

Thank you for those recommendations. What I have been doing on the KLR (I will be candid, I have also done some work on a spare headlamp nacelle that is not legal for street use and, in the end will likely not be satisfactory. Probably a Rule 11.) is trying different bulbs. I'm 60 and know that I cannot see as well at night as I could 40 years ago. We can probably all say that. I've looked into different color temperatures and advertised intensities. I did find the dichroic bulbs to be beneficial, but will try the Philips. I've had some problems with whiter lights, but if the Philips work for me, they work. I'm at the point where I need to do a pre-emptive bulb swap anyway.

Apologies for the text formatting; copied and pasted some stuff (too lazy to ASCI the degree symbol and L'accent aigu). Won't happen again. Well, it might, but not on purpose. I do suffer from a bit of CRS...

Tom

Last edited:

souperdoo

Newly Enlightened
... in the future there may become available small lamps that could be retrofitted into the fairing and the fairing's lens gotten out of the way. In my case, such a lamp would need to be on the order of 4" in diameter. At that size it could probably be made to fit in the KLR fairing and be independently aimable, should a pair be fitted...

This is of interest: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/bus-led-headlights-model-90/

A bit spendy at this time.

Tom

cr0ft

Newly Enlightened
For offroad bikes it is easier, I'd say. There are a number of aux light LED's out there. But not sure how DOT approved it all is.

But slapping on a pair of Clearwater Lights Sevina on an engine bar or somewhere else where they point forward and you'll have insane quantities of light going down the road when you hit the high beam. Granted, we're talking $1000 bucks for the pair, but they fire off 7500 actual real live lumens down the road, each. But of course there are more moderate options.

That will still leave your low beam neutered but even so.

But I agree, it's a problem that there isn't a good upgrade path for faired bikes with custom headlights. That leads idiots to shoving in LED "bulbs" there with the predictable illegal and crappy end result that makes even low beams have glare.

I'm fortunate in that my own bike has a normal 7 inch round, two 4.5 inch driving lights and I could retrofit them with proper approved LED reflectors (JW Speaker, in my case).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
For offroad bikes it is easier, I'd say. There are a number of aux light LED's out there. But not sure how DOT approved it all is.
DOT approval doesn't matter because there is no such thing as DOT approval.

But slapping on a pair of Clearwater Lights Sevina on an engine bar or somewhere else where they point forward and you'll have insane quantities of light going down the road when you hit the high beam. Granted, we're talking $1000 bucks for the pair, but they fire off 7500 actual real live lumens down the road, each. But of course there are more moderate options.

There is such a thing as too much light, even in the absence of other traffic. And their "slip on covers" for their lamps seems a bit gimmicky.

Gotta love the testimonial:
Testimonial from Clearwater Lights
I have the covers on both my Darla and Krista lights. Aside from the obvious protection from flying rocks. the "yellow" colour increases my conspicuity 300 percent! Up here in Canada, our shortened riding season means that we need any help we can get to increase our visibility. An excellent investment in safety.
Yes, sure it increases their conspicuity 300%. Suuure.

Let's try to recommend auxiliary lighting from reputable makers that conforms to real standards.

souperdoo

Newly Enlightened
cr0ft, thanks for the suggestion and interest. Like many dual sport riders, the vast majority of my riding, in terms of miles, is on-road and the advantage of the fairing is keen.

...There is such a thing as too much light, even in the absence of other traffic. And their "slip on covers" for their lamps seems a bit gimmicky...

I agree. The problem that I have always had is that my concern is not how much light there is, but where it goes.

The Clearwater lights are rather popular in BMW circles, but I have always thought the prices were outrageous. I have two problems with that. I don't mind spending money to get good and proper product, but I make a distinction between what I can afford and what I will afford. I also have this nagging thought that these are lights with an intrinsic value of $100 that are being sold for $1000 under the idea that 'If we charge a lot of money for them people will have to believe that they are worth it'.

With most lights it is difficult for me to gauge where the light goes. Most reviews done by people who install lights include a head-on picture to show how fabulously bright they are. Isn't that a bit like shining a flashlight in your eyes to see how great it is, rather than shining it on the path to see if you can see where you're going?

What would be helpful, in these reviews, is a picture of the light on a wall at 25' so that I can see the pattern and judge the cut-off, a picture of the lights on a road, as well as the usual bird's eye graphic of the on-road pattern. 108 compliance data would be too much to ask for, I guess, and by that I mean candela at the appropriate points +/- 90 of center and 0-90 in the vertical plane.

Absent that, I have to imagine that the pattern is like that of an aircraft landing light and remain skeptical.

I can see how a yellow cover might increase conspicuity as anything different can do that, though I think he'd do better with a hi-viz vest and a pink Mohawk on his helmet rather than yellow covers on lights that probably shouldn't be on in the daylight. But, hey, 300% is 300%!

Tom

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the idea that 'If we charge a lot of money for them people will have to believe that they are worth it'.

That right there has got to be the #1 driver of sales of gimmicky aftermarket lighting parts, supplies, and equipment for vehicles. I guess it also works for gimmicky spark plugs and gimmicky motor oil additives and gimmicky air filters and gimmicky radiator hoses and gimmicky "something other than air" fill gas for tires, and...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I had a Honda NC700X that I commuted 10,000 miles a year on, which included a lot of night riding, and the headlight wasn't great so I upgraded it to a Bi-Xeon set up. I was living in the United Kingdom then and it was legal, due to a loop hole in the lighting regs.

Well, no, it wasn't legal -- you just got away with it, which is not the same thing.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, no, it wasn't legal -- you just got away with it, which is not the same thing.

When the UK vehicle Lighting regulations were written they didn't include motorcycles in the regulations that refer to Bi-Xenon Lighting, therefore the regulations are not applicable to motorcycles in the UK.

It was just a suggestion, I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law and I'm not familiar with the lighting regulations where Souperdoo resides.

Latest posts