ThruNite TH20 vs Skilhunt H02R for night hiking

geebe

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

I'm in the market for a waterproof (Hey, I live in Ireland!) and durable headlamp for night hiking.

I've been lurking & reading some great reviews and info on here for both the ThruNite TH20 & the Skilhunt H02R, which are both within my budget. Unfortunately this can only stretch to around $30.

My preference would be the ThruNite TH20, due to it being a single AA and a bit smaller in size, although it does seem to weigh a little more - 96g vs 58g without batteries and 120g vs 102g with. (Is that correct?)

I am having difficulty finding runtimes for the ThruNite TH20 for somewhere in the middle of its range, say around 100 lumens. All the reviews I've seen only give the min and max values. Can anyone help me with this info?

I need to get 5-6 hours runtime. Would it be reasonable to assume that I could achieve this with the ThruNite TH20 set at around half power?

I see the Skilhunt H02R is rated for 11 hours at 120 lumens, plus I have some 18650 batteries already, so I may just opt for that.

Has anyone used the ThruNite TH20 on long 5+ hour night hikes?

Is there another great headlamp I'm missing that will work for me?

Thanks!

D6859

Enlightened
My preference would be the ThruNite TH20, due to it being a single AA and a bit smaller in size, although it does seem to weigh a little more - 96g vs 58g without batteries and 120g vs 102g with. (Is that correct?)

I am having difficulty finding runtimes for the ThruNite TH20 for somewhere in the middle of its range, say around 100 lumens. All the reviews I've seen only give the min and max values. Can anyone help me with this info?

I need to get 5-6 hours runtime. Would it be reasonable to assume that I could achieve this with the ThruNite TH20 set at around half power?

I guess H20R's weight 63 grams is without the headband and battery. According to Thrunite TH20 weights 96 g excluding only the battery so I guess the weight includes headband. With the battery and headband they might be both close to 120g. I'm still waiting for my H20R and scale to arrive so I can confirm this.

I tried to do some linear approximation according to Thrunites specs but it would yield 4 hours on 200 lm which is impossible. For example, Zebralight SC52 can run 116 lm for 3 hrs or 54 lm for 7.5 hrs. I think Skilhunt might be better option runtime-wise.

In any case, I would always carry spare batteries with me on my night hikes. And a spare flashlight. You know the saying "two is one, one is none".

And, :welcome:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One could assume the output specs for the TH20 will be similar to those of the Archer 1a V3 for any given output. Also one can't forget that the TH20 has the option of running on 14500 Li-on cells, not sure how that would affect run times.

geebe

Newly Enlightened
I guess H20R's weight 63 grams is without the headband and battery. According to Thrunite TH20 weights 96 g excluding only the battery so I guess the weight includes headband. With the battery and headband they might be both close to 120g. I'm still waiting for my H20R and scale to arrive so I can confirm this.

I tried to do some linear approximation according to Thrunites specs but it would yield 4 hours on 200 lm which is impossible. For example, Zebralight SC52 can run 116 lm for 3 hrs or 54 lm for 7.5 hrs. I think Skilhunt might be better option runtime-wise.

In any case, I would always carry spare batteries with me on my night hikes. And a spare flashlight. You know the saying "two is one, one is none".

And, :welcome:

Forgot about the headbands! The more I look at it, the more I think you're right, the Skilhunt will probably be the best bet.

Yep, always have spare batteries and another light.:candle:

Thanks!

geebe

Newly Enlightened
One could assume the output specs for the TH20 will be similar to those of the Archer 1a V3 for any given output. Also one can't forget that the TH20 has the option of running on 14500 Li-on cells, not sure how that would affect run times.

Thanks, didn't realise that.

A quick look says 5 hours on 75 lumens which would probably be perfect, it drops off pretty quick after that though - only 115 minutes at 200 lumens :(

I suppose it all comes down to how good you are at selecting the right setting.

The gradual power feature is cool, but it's a shame they didn't include a 'medium' setting as well, so you would know how long you had left. TH20 Mark II perhaps :)

D6859

Enlightened
I got H20R last Tuesday. It weights
57 g without the battery and headband,
102 g with the headband,
151 g with the headband and battery.

For comparison my Armytek Wizard weights 144g with the headband and battery.

H20R is rather long also: 110 mm compared to AT Wizard's 102 mm.

Based on my quick testing it's worth the 28 euros I paid for it. The tint is a little greenish and it takes some time to get used to the UI (short press for on, short press changes modes, long press for off), the low isn't low enough to preserve night vision but I can live with them. I wrapped scotch tape over the lense to smooth the beam. The H20 model might have been a better option for me but IIRC only the R version was on sale.