My first review Olight X7

rotts4u

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking on here for a few years and usually don't post a lot but I have been buying a lot of lights the last few years. A few of my better LED lights are Fenix TK70, TK41, TK32, E35, E25, then in Olight I have S1R, S2R, MX23, S2 Baton, R50 seeker, SR52UT, and now the X7.

I will not be posting a bunch of beam shots because there are plenty of reviews on youtube already that do a much better job than I could so I will stick to description and likes/dislikes.

As soon as the light was announced I told a few buddies and we got together and ordered 6. I have them all in front of my as a type along with 24 18650 3400 Olight batteries.

2016-09-28%2020.28.15_zps3fzb9xyj.jpg

First the box is nice and sturdy as is the carrying case in typical Olight fashion. All of their stuff seems high quality to me. This is only my second flood style light with the R50 being the other. I am more accustomed to throwers for no particular reason as I don't have a search and rescue job or anything like that.

The X7 has a great feel despite its very short body. I would have preferred it to be maybe 1" longer but its really not a big deal. The 4 batteries drop in easily two up two down but the cap is a bit tricky unless you pay attention. There are two springs on it that have to be lined up with the two batteries that are + down. Then there are two nubs on the cap that have to go into two holes in the body of the tube or else the cap will not thread on. It just takes a second to pay enough attention to line them up but if you were in the dark and changing batteries it could be tricky.

I like the big single button but there are a few sequences you have to follow to get to all the modes. Press and hold down and it QUICKLY goes through several modes but not turbo or Turbo S. IT goes through these other modes very fast so you have to be careful or else you will pass by the mode you wanted to access which is done by letting up on the button. Then when you turn it on the light returns to the last brightness.

To access turbo (1) you double click to get there. Then if you want all 9000 lumens you double click again within a few seconds of first double click and then it access Turbo S assuming the batteries are FULLY charged. If they are not charged full it reverts back to Turbo only.

So what does 5000 and 9000 lumens look like? Well its almost daylight basically. In Turbo I can see edge to edge of my entire front lawn which is maybe 80-100 yards wide. There is of course more light in the center but no real hot spot. The throw is not that great even though they claim 300ish meters. I have a hard time identifying my garage can at the end of the driveway with it mostly because the spill is so great around me it causes my pupils to contract as if I am in daylight which reduces my ability to see far away in the darker areas of my view.

When using a long throw light this does not happen because there is little to no spill that disrupts my pupils which allows me to have even better long range vision. If you are standing by or behind anything there is a lot of reflection back to you when in turbo or turbo S which again hampers night vision so be careful when you activate these high modes.

To be honest the light is so bright on medium (1000) and high at 3000l that the turbo and S modes are really overkill except for maybe showing off. To access the lowest mode which is a 3 lumen nightlight you hold down the on button for longer than one second and this mode is enabled but only when accessed from the OFF position. If you turn the light on and release it then persist it again it goes into the cascading mode flicking between the normal modes of low , med, high etc for about 1/2 second each until you release it. To access turbo directly from the off position double click then within 10 seconds double click again to hit turbo S. Triple click to go in to strobe mode.

The worst functionality to me is the LOCK mode. The instructions say that you are supposed to press the button and hold for 2 seconds with the light off. Then to unlock press for 2 seconds again with the light off to unlock. Maybe its just me but several times I got it locked and could not unlock it until I took the batteries out and started over. I think with all the pressing and holding etc I outsmarted myself of the light and could no longer get it to work at all without this reset of sorts by the removal of the batteries, then it would work fine again.

I wish it had an built in charger like my SR52 but thats kinda nit picking because the light is very impressive. The light includes a really cheap looking Olight decal that I can't imagine actually putting on anything except maybe a toolbox. Looks like it was designed in the 80s.

So rather than just brag about how crazy bright it is I have tried to point out some of the other observations after just a bit of use. Granted I have not spent weeks or days with it but I am sure that I really like this light. Yes I would change a few things such as the button and the cap with the twin posts but thats about it.

Maybe they will make a deep reflector/long throw version of the light as well which would be very cool to have a 9000 lumen throw out to 1000 meters or so like the M3XS just a lot more lumens.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Doomsday

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review mate. Damn you and your mates must really love Olight haha getting 6 at once. I like flood type light but I find these super flooders are too much for general use. When I find I can't use these type of lights for things such as walking the dog. The spill blinds all incoming traffic haha

Latest posts