UK (LHT) 7 Inch LED Sealed Unit Options?

tezzy

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ that has had a stock headlight failure, so if I'm going to replace one I might as well go the whole hog and replace both.

Having read fairly extensively....

1. Don't Do HID.....it's dying and has too many potential issues.

2. Bi Xenon is the 'best' around but crazy expensive.

3. LED would therefore appear to be the best 'bang for buck' currently.

Having watched the excellent (IMHO) headlight revolution youtube vids it seems to come down to.....

1 Truck Lite 7"

2. KC Hi Lites 7"

3. JW Spreaker Evo 2 7"

4 Quadratec 7"

However in the UK the ONLY one I can find in UK RHD spec that meets the UK legilative requirements is the Truck Lite 7".

These are coming in at about £200 each which seems pretty high if I'm honest.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ that has had a stock headlight failure, so if I'm going to replace one I might as well go the whole hog and replace both.
Ouch. Fender bender? Flying rock?

Having read fairly extensively....
1. I'd skip HID not because it's eventually not going to be used in new cars (because spare capsules will be available for some time) but because the form factor you want your only real option is this. Everything else is just illegal and unsafe "HID kits" or someone's hacked up "projector retrofit".

2. Here's the Bi-Xenon you'd want. You'll have to some fabrication to get it mounted and to do trim for it so it looks nice, but that'd work.

3. LED is getting amazing, but you have to be very selective. JW Speaker, Truck-Lite, and Peterson Manufacturing are where it's at.

Having watched the excellent (IMHO) headlight revolution youtube vids it seems to come down to.....
Careful watching vids. People will rave about how incredibly awesome a lamp is, but it's not really awesome and the vidmaker has no clue (and if it's marketing material by the maker, obviously every one is going to say theirs is the BEST)

1 Truck Lite 7"
2. KC Hi Lites 7"
3. JW Spreaker Evo 2 7"
4 Quadratec 7"
1. Depending on the Truck-Lite model, it'd be acceptable.
2. No.
3. The Model 8700 Evolution J comes in an ECE compliant version and they're worth tracking down.
4. No. Rebranded "Maxxima" headlamp-shaped toy.

However in the UK the ONLY one I can find in UK RHD spec that meets the UK legilative requirements is the Truck Lite 7".
There is no "RHD" or "LHD"; driver position in the vehicle does not define the shape of the headlamp beam. You will be looking for LHT (Left Hand Traffic), as vehicle position on the road determines the shape of the headlamp beam.

While not state of the art (that would be JW Speaker), the knockoffs are always going to be cheaper because they spend 1/8th on their engineering that Truck-Lite and JW Speaker do-- or even less than that. These are life-critical safety items and safety is worth spending money on.

tezzy

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Ouch. Fender bender? Flying rock?

Old Age.....it's the original OEM lamp and just gave up the ghost.

1. I'd skip HID not because it's eventually not going to be used in new cars (because spare capsules will be available for some time) but because the form factor you want your only real option is this. Everything else is just illegal and unsafe "HID kits" or someone's hacked up "projector retrofit".

2. Here's the Bi-Xenon you'd want. You'll have to some fabrication to get it mounted and to do trim for it so it looks nice, but that'd work.

3. LED is getting amazing, but you have to be very selective. JW Speaker, Truck-Lite, and Peterson Manufacturing are where it's at.

edit added....

I just looked and the Bi Xenon setup would cost north of £500 per headlight........I just couldn't justify that to myself given the other options available.

edit finished

See my notes below on the options I'd narrowed it down to already.

Careful watching vids. People will rave about how incredibly awesome a lamp is, but it's not really awesome and the vidmaker has no clue (and if it's marketing material by the maker, obviously every one is going to say theirs is the BEST)

Not sure if you've seen this series of vids......not prone to sillyness and tries to at least be informative rather then a sales pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhombf0sgTNy-fsw4tf24UzBKHGQEoX7D

1. Depending on the Truck-Lite model, it'd be acceptable.
2. No.
3. The Model 8700 Evolution J comes in an ECE compliant version and they're worth tracking down.
4. No. Rebranded "Maxxima" headlamp-shaped toy.

There is no "RHD" or "LHD"; driver position in the vehicle does not define the shape of the headlamp beam. You will be looking for LHT (Left Hand Traffic), as vehicle position on the road determines the shape of the headlamp beam.

RHD is a colloquialism to indicate the side the driver sits on and therefore which way the beam should go, it's synonymous with LHT
(If you said LHT in the UK no-one would understand what you meant).....for example LHD vehicles in the UK are referred to as "Left Hookers"...make of that what you want!!

While not state of the art (that would be JW Speaker), the knockoffs are always going to be cheaper because they spend 1/8th on their engineering that Truck-Lite and JW Speaker do-- or even less than that. These are life-critical safety items and safety is worth spending money on.

I wouldn't even contemplate a 'knock off' and thought I'd made it clear in my posting that I'd narrowed it down to the four I had listed......what I'm asking is have I missed any quality units that are available as LHT (RHD)?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Good idea, a TJ Jeep is old enough that it is probably ready for new lamps.

That is a non-sequitur, because you are not an automaker making plans for a new model. HID headlamps and repair parts (bulbs...) will be around for the foreseeable future. It is only "dying" in the sense that it is largely no longer considered at the new-vehicle/new-headlamp design phase.

Two things: (1) BiXenon is HID. (2) HID headlamps, even type-approved ones, are not allowed in the UK without lens-washing and automatic leveling systems. Both of which can be added, but it's expensive to do so in addition to the expense for the headlamps themselves.

Yes.

Having watched the excellent (IMHO) headlight revolution youtube vids

I couldn't call them "excellent" in terms of presenting sound, reliable information. They're entertaining if you like looking at pretty pictures of headlights and light beams, but photos -- moving or still -- are not a useful or helpful way of evaluating headlamps.

1 Truck Lite 7"

Yes, this is a good LED headlamp that is available in a type-approved LHTraffic version with a built-in front position light (UK English calls these "side lights" and it's a function you need on your Jeep)

2. KC Hi Lites 7"

Not available in a type-approved or LHT version.

3. JW Spreaker Evo 2 7"

Available in LHT type-approved with front position lamp (and daytime running light, for that matter) and this is the top of the heap in terms of performance.

4 Quadratec 7"

Cheap junk, not available in LHT or type-approved.

Am I missing something?

Yes: Complex current cutting-edge technology (LED headlamps) costs more than obsolete, primitive 1971 technology (H4 headlamps). You get much better safety performance -- ability to see at night and in bad weather -- with good LED headlamps, but you have to pay for it.

Cheap junk not worth using. If you are sticking to halogen headlamps, get a set of Cibie (Valeo) part number 082439 units and use Philips Xtreme Vision (or new Racing Vision) bulbs.

RHD is a colloquialism to indicate the side the driver sits on and therefore which way the beam should go, it's synonymous with LHT

No, it really is not. The placement of the driver within the car (LHD or RHD) does not matter to the headlamps. The placement of the car on the road (LHT or RHT) does. Remember, LHD cars are allowed in the UK, but they have to be re-equipped with LHT headlamps instead of the RHT headlamps they would come with in their "home" (RHT) countries.

(If you said LHT in the UK no-one would understand what you meant)

Well, you have to use the local idiom, "left-dipping headlamp" to refer to what you're trying to talk about. If you're talking about the traffic on the roads, you say "Left-hand traffic" and everyone who's in a position to care will know what you're talking about.