OPUS 3100-How many?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im no expert in this part of the forum but from what I have gathered the Opus has had to have been upgraded or "fixed" 3 times? There are 3 versions? Something always seems to be finicky about them?

ven

Flashaholic
Off the top of my head, 3100 v2.1/3100 v2.2/ 3100v or 3400 3.1 and dont forget the re-numbered 3400!

Off the top of my head, a fan issue , the v3.1(if i have that right) has a higher cut off when discharging from 2.8v to 3.1v although pros/cons of both imho. Neither matter to me that much as it is not too accurate and just a rough guide. I am sure manufacturers spec their low V on cells at 2.5v mainly, so now having a 3.1v cut off will not get the accuracy of the cells mah as close...............

I have had a couple of glitches over the years with xtar, not bad but odd reading or cell wont pick up. Issue with holding a charge rate which led me to getting rid of after spending quite a bit of money on usb plugs(one alone was £15).

Only issue with the opus is not really an issue, noisy fan when kicks in..............kind of part of the family now and anyone here when it sets off always asks " what the *beep* is that noise?"

So rather than fixes, i would say tweaks/updates . Mine has been solid/dependable and i have had my monies worth ......

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the top of my head, 3100 v2.1/3100 v2.2/ 3100v or 3400 3.1 and dont forget the re-numbered 3400!

Off the top of my head, a fan issue , the v3.1(if i have that right) has a higher cut off when discharging from 2.8v to 3.1v although pros/cons of both imho. Neither matter to me that much as it is not too accurate and just a rough guide. I am sure manufacturers spec their low V on cells at 2.5v mainly, so now having a 3.1v cut off will not get the accuracy of the cells mah as close...............

I have had a couple of glitches over the years with xtar, not bad but odd reading or cell wont pick up. Issue with holding a charge rate which led me to getting rid of after spending quite a bit of money on usb plugs(one alone was £15).

Only issue with the opus is not really an issue, noisy fan when kicks in..............kind of part of the family now and anyone here when it sets off always asks " what the *beep* is that noise?"

So rather than fixes, i would say tweaks/updates . Mine has been solid/dependable and i have had my monies worth ......

According to my friend Henry Xu, the Opus' chief engineer, the v3.1 model is basically still a v2.2 but has 2 different parameter settings requested by a dealer. It is custom-designed to:

1. voltage for termination is changed to voltage with load condition
2. discharge termination voltage is changed to a higher level to prevent charger from triggering protection for cells with protection.

So aside from those two revisions, the v2.2 is still the latest model of the BT-C3100 series currently in use by thousands of users.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for clearing that up guys. Ill go back and re read HKJ's reviews but from what I remember they got really hot and were not very good analyzers. Gonna go double check myself...

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info tatasal ,I am not fully up to date with the opus and model numbers/specs .

If your considering a new charger CC then the opus is a recommend, really is a good charger for the money and so far issue free. It has enough options for me with test etc and can handle nimhs. The main attraction for me was the 1a on all 4 bays and V readout along with nimh support. For not much over $30 it is hard to beat right now . There are better analozing chargers out there but more complex too . As my needs are 99% slap on and charge , the opus works well for me.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info tatasal ,I am not fully up to date with the opus and model numbers/specs .

If your considering a new charger CC then the opus is a recommend, really is a good charger for the money and so far issue free. It has enough options for me with test etc and can handle nimhs. The main attraction for me was the 1a on all 4 bays and V readout along with nimh support. For not much over $30 it is hard to beat right now . There are better analozing chargers out there but more complex too . As my needs are 99% slap on and charge , the opus works well for me.

+1. I have the 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2, several Xtars and even the very-hyped up but bugfull SkyRC MC-3000, all things considered, the Opus wins hands- down.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you only charge 2 cells you can charge at 2amp as i was doing today with some 5000mah C ni-mh cells, you have to use bay`s 1 and 4 as C cells are to big to fit 4 cells at once, and if you want to charge D cells you will need to buy some adapters.

John.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks ven thanks guys. Ill be getting...damn...what IS the latest version anyways? The 3100 v2.2 or the 3400 or the re numbered 3400? Any suggestions on best retailers state side?

chaosdsm

Enlightened
thanks ven thanks guys. Ill be getting...damn...what IS the latest version anyways? The 3100 v2.2 or the 3400 or the re numbered 3400? Any suggestions on best retailers state side?

3100v2.2 is less than $40 at amazon and the 3400 is $54, both with free 2-day shipping for "Prime" members.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
3100v2.2 is less than $40 at amazon and the 3400 is $54, both with free 2-day shipping for "Prime" members.

Not the best deal considering that the comparable Liitokala Lii-500 is selling for $15 (including shipping) at Aliexpress ($20 if you need the AC adapter).

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Here is a better price on Ebay for the 3400 at $48.41 he also sells the 3100 for $39.68
Good deal on the 3400 but I try not to buy from ebay unless it's something I cannot otherwise find, 3100v2.2 is cheaper on amazon.

Not the best deal considering that the comparable Liitokala Lii-500 is selling for $15 (including shipping) at Aliexpress ($20 if you need the AC adapter).
Not quite comparable....
Lii-500 maximum charge rate is 1A per slot vs 2A per slot for the Opus huge charging time difference for high capacity cells
Lii-500 maximum total charging output is 2A Vs 3A for the Opus

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not quite comparable....
Lii-500 maximum charge rate is 1A per slot vs 2A per slot for the Opus huge charging time difference for high capacity cells
Lii-500 maximum total charging output is 2A Vs 3A for the Opus
The chargers don't have to be equivalent to be comparable.

You have the old specs that caused problems for the Opus. The new specs are 2A charge for only 2 slots (1&4), or 1A for all 4, so basically a 4A Total charge capability; the same as the Lii-500. If you have 1 or 2 cells and you need to use 2A then the Opus will do it which is nice. Most people don't need more than 1A charge, 1.5A would be nice, and 2 is certainly nice for some things. That last line you state means nothing, it only matters what you can put into the batteries and if you can do that with less input power all the better.

Not saying the Lii 500 is a better charger, but they are comparable and for some people either one may be the better choice.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tip : Do the quick test (impedance) before you start a long charge/discharge cycle, it will allow you see if you have a bad cell or a bad connection, doubly important if you are using the D cell adapters.

John.