Imalent        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need a new scorpion hunting light

Default Re: Need a new scorpion hunting light

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post

good job on the Convoy, can you do the Jaxman U1 also please?:-)
    I received the two 21 mm UV filters I ordered from Hong Kong today and compared them to the filter that came with the Jaxman. They appear to be identical, and their performance also appears to be identical. I put the filter which I had moved from the Jaxman to the Convoy back into the Jaxman. I installed one of the filters that came in the mail into the Convoy.

Rather than take a picture of the Jaxman shining on a $100 bill, I did a test which compares the Jaxman and Convoy at the same time.

I made up a solution consisting of a bit of fluorescein in water. Here's a picture showing the beam from both flashlights passing through a glass of fluorescein/water. The top beam is the Jaxman and the bottom beam is the Convoy. You can easily see the superiority of the Convoy. I have ordered a Countryman EDC S+ and when it arrives, I'll show all three together.

Oh good! This time the image shows perfectly.

Interesting. But what kind of UV light is enough to hunt scorpion? I know many cheap UV flashlights on amazon and ebay are available.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWilliams View Post
    Interesting. But what kind of UV light is enough to hunt scorpion? I know many cheap UV flashlights on amazon and ebay are available.
    I notice that the Convoy is on sale at Gearbest: http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlig...704.html?wid=8

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Oztorchfreak View Post
    I have bought some UV flashlights lately but the UVBeast is by far the best and is truly a "BEAST".The lights are listed below.Larger lights.UVBeast with 100 LEDs.Taotronics TT-FL002 with 51 LEDs.Smaller sized 18650 lights.Jaxman U1.Convoy S2+.Countryman EDC S+.The best of the smaller ones is the Countryman EDC S+.The Countryman EDC S+ is hard to find sometimes.I found it at http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/cmspuv6w.htm
    Can you elaborate please on your comparison of the Convoy and Countryman?
    Last edited by KBobAries; 06-23-2017 at 01:19 AM.
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Electrician View Post
    I did a test which compares the Jaxman and Convoy at the same time.
    show me the US$100 money shot of the Jaxman U1 compared to the Convoy please
    Last edited by jon_slider; 06-27-2017 at 07:07 PM.

show me the US$100 money shot of the Jaxman U1 compared to the Convoy please
    OK. I did the best I could to be sure each flashlight was the same distance from the $100 for the two pix.
    First, the Jaxman:

And here is the Convoy:

In addition to taking pictures, I was wondering if it is necessary to use protected 18650 cells with these flashlights to be sure the cells aren't discharged below 2.5 volts. I powered the pill with a variable supply and starting with 4 volts, I slowly decreased the voltage to see where the UV output would cut out. Both flashlights stop working totally at 3.1 volts, so there appears to be no need to use protected cells.

Both flashlights stop working totally at 3.1 volts, so there appears to be no need to use protected cells.
    great info!
    thanks for the money shots too
    at least the Jaxman U1 IS a 365nm LED.. I agree it is less bright than the Convoy

great info!
    thanks for the money shots too
    at least the Jaxman U1 IS a 365nm LED.. I agree it is less bright than the Convoy
    You can really see just how much brighter the Convoy is with the direct comparison shown in post #91 above. I think the Convoy may be about 4 times the radiant power.

I received the Countryman EDC S+ today. I came with a nylon holster, a wrist strap, and no filter to remove visible light. I installed my spare filter.

I measured the current drain and it draws 1.45 amps, essentially twice what the Convoy and Jaxman draw. It has a slightly tighter beam, which by itself would make it appear somewhat more powerful. It does give noticeably brighter fluorescence of objects, but at a cost of half the battery life.

The double current draw compared to the convoy also causes the flashlight body to get warmer, quicker.

The slightly tighter beam plus double radiant intensity would mean that scorpions could be seen at a greater distance, but with half the battery life. YMMV

I think that for general purpose use, including good scorpion hunting performance, I would choose the Convoy S2+

News Flash!

The Countryman has a feature I was unaware of. It has 3 brightness levels, selected by rapidly turning on and off. After a brightness level is selected, the flashlight will remember that level for subsequent usage.

The current draws for the 3 levels are:

Low .050 amps
    Medium .400 amps
    High 1.45 amps

The medium level is brighter than the Jaxman. The low level is quite adequate for use checking currency and documents at close range, and other close work. The pink strip on a $100 is well lit up using low power. On low level, battery life would be more than 50 hours, and probably 7 hours or so on medium (assuming one is using a 3400 mAh cell).

I forgot to mention that the Countryman comes with a fluorescent green O ring.

This is now my preferred UV flashlight, with the only downside the tight beam. This could probably be changed by moving the LED with respect to the reflector.

Of course, the high price could also be considered a downside, but for a flashaholic, the mantra is "Price? What's that?".

Flashaholic*

...the only downside the tight beam. This could probably be changed by moving the LED with respect to the reflector.
    I think moving the LED height in the reflector would just produce an uneven beam pattern with rings and/or a 'donut hole' like you get with a Maglite. It would probably take a different reflector to widen the beam, unless the issue is the angle of the Nichia UV LED itself in which case it would probably take some optics to widen the beam.
    [ JIL info post here ]

Enlightened

Convoy S2+ update.
    Been using it exclusivly all summer, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 hours without any issues at all. It does get pretty warm with the high ambient temps in AZ, but it's not excessive. Scorpions glow brightly. I would absolutely buy another.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    Convoy S2+ update.
    Been using it exclusivly all summer, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 hours without any issues at all. It does get pretty warm with the high ambient temps in AZ, but it's not excessive. Scorpions glow brightly. I would absolutely buy another.
    nice the s2+ is an amazing workhorse light. my triples in s2+ hey real hot i wouldn't worry about the uv light to much, other than the danger of uv itself. A nice upgrade would be the filter for it.

Enlightened

Good point, I've used a filter since the second night with the light and it's much better with it.

I received the Countryman EDC S+ today. I came with a nylon holster, a wrist strap, and no filter to remove visible light. I installed my spare filter.

I measured the current drain and it draws 1.45 amps, essentially twice what the Convoy and Jaxman draw. It has a slightly tighter beam, which by itself would make it appear somewhat more powerful. It does give noticeably brighter fluorescence of objects, but at a cost of half the battery life.

The double current draw compared to the convoy also causes the flashlight body to get warmer, quicker.

The slightly tighter beam plus double radiant intensity would mean that scorpions could be seen at a greater distance, but with half the battery life. YMMV

I think that for general purpose use, including good scorpion hunting performance, I would choose the Convoy S2+
    o which one you think is better, the Convoys or the Countryman? The 3w difference means that the
    S

So which one you think is better, the Convoy or the Countryman? The 3w difference means that the Countryman is much brighter?

Unenlightened

I've played with the cheap ones and the problem is not bright enough for any distance. I found this thread last month and went to Amazon and got the UVBeast. I don't think I've had this much fun with a flashlight in a long time. I'm getting the scorpions BEFORE they get in the house. The tomato worms don't stand a chance anymore either. Wife loves that! Might buy a small one for taking camping. Thanks CPF

UVBeast doesn't have a Nichia Led, i don't think it's a real UV.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234