Gearbest        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *2016* New Fenix TK20R, 1000 Lumen, USB Rechargeable

Default *2016* New Fenix TK20R, 1000 Lumen, USB Rechargeable

1. Flash Light: Nitecore MT06 , Fenix E15
    2. USB Monitor: Xtar VI01
    3. Battery Charger: Nitecore UM20

Default Re: *2016* New Fenix TK20R, 1000 Lumen, USB Rechargeable

the first IP68 rated Fenix! Got mine on pre order cannot wait!

This looks like a fantastic product! Maybe I should consult, or rather convince, the "minister of finance".
    love Fenix!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    the first IP68 rated Fenix!
    The solid particle (i.e., dust) ingress rating of 6 is redundant when you have a water ingress rating of 8. ANSI FL-1 doesn`t even recognize the dust rating as a requirement, hence the IPX8 rating for most Fenix flashlights.

This does look like a cool light. I keep wondering if it would be a bad idea to get a light like this for someone who isn't interested in learning about 18650s. Usually I would just go for a AA based light instead but Fenix keeps coming out with cool rechargeable lights.

TK20R looks to be such a solid great light that it may change a light newb's mind about 18650 cells. IP68 is redundant? ANSI may not recognize it as a requirement but they do recognize and rate it. So this light once it gets to me should have two Orings on both ends of the tube etc. I dont use built in chargers cause they take to long but am impressed Fenix finally made another light with a waterproof with the flap open micro USB port outside the UC35.

Flashaholic*

IP68 is redundant? ANSI may not recognize it as a requirement but they do recognize and rate it.
    There is no solid particle ingress rating under ANSI FL-1. That's why flashlights are rated with "X" for that parameter. If a flashlight is rated IPX8, the dust rating is redundant because it stands to reason that dust cannot enter where water cannot enter. The solid particle ingress rating does not affect the liquid ingress rating, the flashlight is still rated for the same 2 metres of submergence as most Fenix flashlights. Don't expect double O-rings.

just got the TK20R today and it is absolutely my new favorite non thumbsize light. It is basically the most over built TK15UE you can imagine. Only the tail cap screws off the rest is one piece. It actually looks like a 3 layer body tube not 2. Beam profile is a touch sharper than the TK15UE which is saying quite a bit. Tint is CW makes the TK15UE look a bit neutral but its not a harsh CW. Love it! The light has an in hand feel that of the hefty Buck 110 folding hunting knife this thing is built like a tank.

Flashaholic*

It actually looks like a 3 layer body tube not 2.
    There's an insulating layer between the two aluminum tubes. Because the charger port is in the tail, the body has to have coaxial positive and negative layers.

Can anyone help me out please...

Does anyone know what the diameter is of the centre section of this torch?

I am a U.K. Police officer and want to use it with a specific mounting system we use here. I have the PD35, which is great, but it's too narrow/thin.

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot_uk View Post
    Can anyone help me out please...

Does anyone know what the diameter is of the centre section of this torch?

I am a U.K. Police officer and want to use it with a specific mounting system we use here. I have the PD35, which is great, but it's too narrow/thin.

Thanks.
    The spec sheet says the body is 25 mm diameter.

That is awesome runtime on 10 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamabushi View Post
    There is no solid particle ingress rating under ANSI FL-1. That's why flashlights are rated with "X" for that parameter. If a flashlight is rated IPX8, the dust rating is redundant because it stands to reason that dust cannot enter where water cannot enter. The solid particle ingress rating does not affect the liquid ingress rating, the flashlight is still rated for the same 2 metres of submergence as most Fenix flashlights. Don't expect double O-rings.

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

http://www.mpl.ch/info/IPratings.html
    Tex.Proud

So what light is that at the end of the tunnel?

The spec sheet says the body is 25 mm diameter.
    Thanks. Yes saw that, just wanted to be sure it was the centre (most narrow part).

Enlightened

Any reviews or outside beam shots of this one?
    was looking to get one once our UK suppliers get them in stock.
    Thanks

There's an insulating layer between the two aluminum tubes. Because the charger port is in the tail, the body has to have coaxial positive and negative layers.
    Does this mean the body, if dented, could short out the light or something? I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of this design. Yes you can charge easily instead of having to get your full blown charger out and go swapping batteries every time, but is it really built like a tank? I have never dented any Fenix light, even the original paper thin tubed P3D CE but it does make me wonder if that could pose some kind of issue if it were dented?

Look Tough and Cool! but a little similar to TK15UE!

Well I am a bit shocked at the lack of detail but I have gone and ordered one from myfenix.co.uk and I hope for the best. The specs make it seem very desirable but this body design I just am very, ever so slightly worried about. But I hope that the comment about it being built like a tank, having heft will more than adequately protect the new design from harm. Again, if anyone can comment on this I would still be interested in opinions even though I have been forced into having to buy a new Fenix light that I was unaware existed. CPF has a habit of spending my money for me... I cannot figure out for the life of me how?! Unless my desire for better EDC Fenix lights has something to do with it... Nah it's definitely CPF's fault for forcing me to have something new to enjoy.

You would have to have one freak accident or purposely abuse the light to break it. Had it a few weeks now and still love it. The metal side switch is out standing. I dont post web shots much but will give it a shot tonight and post back. The light comes with what is the nicest highest quality stock Fenix holster I have ever seen. Still running the light off the outstanding 2900mah Fenix cell the light came with..

Glad you really enjoy this flashlight. How would you compare it to TK15UE? To me it seems the major difference is adding the charging capability, but the rest is almost the same. 1cm longer, almost the same weight (which is a bit surprising). They seem to share the same emitter and even the same optical design?

You would have to have one freak accident or purposely abuse the light to break it. Had it a few weeks now and still love it. The metal side switch is out standing. I dont post web shots much but will give it a shot tonight and post back. The light comes with what is the nicest highest quality stock Fenix holster I have ever seen. Still running the light off the outstanding 2900mah Fenix cell the light came with..

Quote Originally Posted by ktsl View Post
    Glad you really enjoy this flashlight. How would you compare it to TK15UE? To me it seems the major difference is adding the charging capability, but the rest is almost the same. 1cm longer, almost the same weight (which is a bit surprising). They seem to share the same emitter and even the same optical design?
    I was originally going to get the TK15UE, but then I saw the TK20R, and the USB recharge feature sold me on that light. It also comes with a battery, whereas the TK15UE does not.

I just ordered the TK20R direct from Fenix, and I had a 20% off coupon, so I got it for only $79.96 with free shipping.

I've heard a lot of good things about this light, and I can't wait to try it out.

The TK20R is like an up armored version of the TK15UE that is IP68 rated with a built in micro USB feature. I have both of these lights and both are outstanding. The TK20R is roughly a half an inch longer than the UE due to the built in micro USB port being in the tail. The TK20R also weighs a good several grams more than the UE due to the double tube body. The beams out of both are the same which means they are both very well defined with no artifacts. The tint out of my UE leans neutral and the tint out my TK20R leans cool. Both amazing lights with top notch build quality. I really like the 2900mah Fenix 18650 cell that came with the TK20R thus far it powers the light long and strong holding its charge very well. Also the holster the TK20R came with is the nicest stock Fenix holster I have ever seen.

I was seriously considering buying this TK20R as a Christmas gift to myself, but now my decision is not so clear-cut anymore. I saw that Fenix just released the PD40R now, and although the latter is a different class of light, I am not so sure which one I should buy. I basically like everything that I've seen so far about the TK20R, but now the PD40R is stirring the water for me. I guess I'll just wait until there are more comments from people who have the new one, or at least until someone tests it (hopefully before Christmas!).

I have a couple Fenix lights: the TK20R, TK32, Tk16, and TK75 (2015), along with the HL60R.

TK20R: the beam profile is what I think of as "outdoor tactical", with a max distance of 310M; the TK16 is more what I'd think is an "indoor tactical" beam, with max distance of 240M. The TK16 in daily use clearly is more floody - I tend to like that in an indoor light used for self-defense and other tactical purposes. I can more quickly scan much of my entire first floor with less movement, which I think is desireable in a self-defense situation. Depending upon the terrain, I'd benefit more from a bit more throw when I'm outside.

I do not at all like the side mounted switch. The dual-tailswitch version of the TK16 is easier for me to use at night, with gloves, etc.

Otherwise, the UI of both lights is on a par, nearly equal.

As far as "feel" in my hand, the TK16 seems to just get it better - however, that could be tied to the side switch.

With the above noted, I'll also note that I hope to never find myself having to use a light in this particular scenario; I hope that I never find myself in a self-defense scenario, period. However, where I live it is quite the real possibility. My answer is to keep a TK16 dedicated for this purpose; it sits in a TAC-LOC holster along with my Glock 21. Since my township can't afford to hire full time LEOs, I have to be somewhat prepared.

I do like the TK20R much better for a camping / hiking light. I think the USB recharging offers a good advantage: the less I have to open the battery chamber, the less chance of getting gunk in the threads, causing damage to them and the O ring which can lead to a water breach. I also like the thermal regulation and stepdown, as opposed to a timed stepdown to prevent thermal overload. When I'm not under duress, I find that the two switch build with a side switch is fine for everyday use - gaining the display for battery status is a nice feature as well.

Both lights seem to be well built, with the dual body construction.

I also like the beam profile of the TK20R better for everyday, general purpose use.

Hope that helps.

Okay, guys...I just got my TK20R in the mail today. It was only partially charged, but damn, that sucker is blinding, even in the daytime. If you flashed it in some intruder's eyes in a dark house, they would be completely disoriented.

As far as charging goes, the instructions say 5V at 1A to 1.3A is ideal. I am using one of the USB 3.0 ports on my PC, which puts out 5V at 900mA, which should be close enough. I didn't want to use my smartphone charger, because that puts out 2A, and I don't want to overheat the battery in my light.

I can't wait to take it outside tonight.

TK20R runtime plot, review, and beamshots, courtesy of TF:
    http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/th...0/#post-706308
    Stop feeding exaggerated specs, careless designs, bad quality, insufficient QA and QC, and bad customer service. Curb your unbridled enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    TK20R runtime plot, review, and beamshots, courtesy of TF:
    http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/th...0/#post-706308

thanks for your sharing

Got mine yesterday to replace a lost (ARRGHHH!!!) TK21 and to go with a TK11 (yes I like my Fenix torches!).
    VERY impressed so far - used it on a totally empty beach last night 200 yards from my house and I could see a good 1/4 mile.
    I'm an HM Coastguard so it will be invaluable for night work, especially searches.

Used this thread as a reference so thank you; the best things IMO are the USB charging - no more using a hateful charger - and the battery meter.
    The light is very impressive and I find a proper low light mode (present on the TK21 but NOT the TK11) very useful at times too. Also great that it comes with a decent battery - my TK21 never stayed on max mode for long and I always wondered if it was the batteries I used (expensive ones) or the torch itself. But it's lost now so no need to worry. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise?!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyesBurningLikeFire View Post
    Got mine yesterday to replace a lost (ARRGHHH!!!) TK21 and to go with a TK11 (yes I like my Fenix torches!).
    VERY impressed so far - used it on a totally empty beach last night 200 yards from my house and I could see a good 1/4 mile.
    I'm an HM Coastguard so it will be invaluable for night work, especially searches.

Used this thread as a reference so thank you; the best things IMO are the USB charging - no more using a hateful charger - and the battery meter.
    The light is very impressive and I find a proper low light mode (present on the TK21 but NOT the TK11) very useful at times too. Also great that it comes with a decent battery - my TK21 never stayed on max mode for long and I always wondered if it was the batteries I used (expensive ones) or the torch itself. But it's lost now so no need to worry. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise?!
    I've had mine for about 3 months great flashlight

You definitely didn't make a mistake, BrightEyes! I don't have one myself, but everything I've read about it up to now, was all good! I've had my eyes set on this for a long time! (drool)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast