Stuck between the Olight S30R II 3600mAh / Olight S2R / UC30 Fenix

crja360

Newly Enlightened
Trying to pick one of these up asap due to not have a flashlight at all at the moment.
Whats tying me up is the fact that both olights seem to only be able to charge their own proprietary batteries within the unit also, it look like both can only run the turbo mode for a couple of min before dramatically dropping off to 4/500 lumens.

The Fenix uc30 seems to be incredibly priced and has a lifetime warranty, and looks to be able to run turbo mode for close to an hr before dropping off and is able to charge other batteries withing the unit. My only concern is its a tad longer in length for an edc.

I know you guys and gals have run all three of these units and i have read the reviews but im still coming up short and your opinion/advice is very appreciated, and will pretty much determine what light i end up with.

Also if you know of another light that is an overall "better" edc light please let me know i don't want to go over 100 $ w/shipping

Thank you for your time and advice

crja360

Newly Enlightened
I also want to specify that that this will be an edc light. I also want to throw the nitecore mh20gt in the mix

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always recommend Fenix. My dad had both the original S30R and a S30R II and while the II was a good light it just never had the same feeling as my Fenixs do. I also disliked the charging dock on the Olight and the need for a proprietary battery to be able to use the internal charging. The Fenix can use any regular 18650 and has a more convenient charging option. My dad ended up going with the UC35 after he lost his S30R II.

MX421

Enlightened
I have a S30, I only holster carry it as its longer than other 18650 lights (specifically Zebralights). Still, the beam throws out further than my Zebras, so it still gets EDC rotation because of that (and its the Ti version :) ). I have a S1 and that thing is tiny. Thus, I'd been considering getting the S2 since i think it would compete with the Zebralights for compactability. I got a SC63 though and i think i can't get smaller than that (almost as small as my SC52s).

I don't know anything about the Fenix UC30, but i have a PD35 i really like. Again, IMO too long for the pocket, but small enough to holster without drawing too much attention (i'm an office guy).

If the length is fine with you and you aren't set on built-in charging, some cheaper options:

Astrolux S1/BLF A1
Convoy S2+

Then use the extra money to get a good charger :)

I've become more picky on my lights especially in the tints/CRI of the lights. The Olights are awfully cool and the Fenix isn't much better.

Me, I've become a Zebralight fan. About the only one i haven't tried is the SC600 MK III Hi which gets rave reviews on here. Just at your limit, but doesn't have built-in chraging. There is another SC600 MK III "plus" version that is very high CRI if thats important to you.

Or just get all of them, try them out, then put the rest around the house for spares so you'll never be without again :)

magicstone12

Banned
I want to agree with @Tac Gunner and say to go with the Fenix. The micro USB charging option is what wins me over, because it is universal, whereas with the other two you are limited as to your charging options. You specifically mentioned this will be used for edc, so you may have a problem if your batteries run out of power with the Olight options, and with the Nitecore you have a complicated UI (turbo).

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I carry the Olight S30R Baton ll as my EDC. As for charging, no problem. The charging dock is very convenient.
I carry a second 3600 battery also. You can change it with a regular charger too.
I'm not familiar with the Fenix so I can't say one way or another on it.
I am thinking of getting a second S30R in case I ever miss-place mine.

Lateck,

crja360

Newly Enlightened
Just got the Fenix tk20r, a little bigger than I wanted to go but very happy with this light so far