Nucleus XTD (extended version) Prototype

Finally I've had the time to take photos of the Nucleus extension tubes I've made about 2 weeks ago. These are working prototypes, but since I've made them on my manual lathe, it's missing a few features, that the production piece would have (o-ring groves for example) It is machined out of Grade 9 Titanium which is just as difficult to machine as Grade 5, so boring a 4" long through hole wasn't exactly an easy feat. I've made both the brushed and polished version, but polishing this long piece is time consuming so it might not be as perfect as the polished Nucleus production pieces. The extension piece uses 3x5A 200 mAh NiMH batteries which is enough for about 200-225 Lumen (about 0.9A) output on full charge. Since the surrounding material doesn't have the surface area to efficiently dissipate the heat at full power, there is a QTC pill added to control the brightness and thus the heat. Without the QTC pill, the light can safely operate for about 15 sec. at a time. As far as the design, I think it's one of my best looking creation. Power and run-time? I'm still testing it to see if it would be up to expectations. When designing this piece, my top requirement was to keep the classic shape of flashlight, where the body is smaller than the head. Staying with this design, doesn't give me many options as far as batteries go, so if it works well with this battery, it will be produced, if not....it will be a concept until a sufficient replacement battery becomes available. My current plan is to make a few more versions of Nucleus out of exotic materials and copper. If this is a design I am satisfied with and there is enough interest, I will make this extension tubes at the same time. The extension tubes would be available separately, as well as a stand-alone light with your choice of sections. Let me know what you think, also, if you'd be interested in owning one of these. Also, let me know, if you have any questions!

Here they are:
or you can see it in full resolution on my Flickr here:

29621560314_d3e2aed2a9_b.jpg

29954764220_642de959b1_b.jpg

30216018936_feaabffe06_b.jpg

30216017926_9b3675b692_b.jpg

29955793710_2c64fb3b1e_b.jpg

30217383796_6fd4ee3e03_b.jpg

30217518136_76b1d12b88_b.jpg

29621309093_52eaedfc87_b.jpg

29954383930_768140873e_b.jpg

Some Solidworks renderings (CGI Image):

30253743455_5d8f848fc2_b.jpg

30253743025_08dd8d2526_b.jpg

I thought it would be fun to include my "D Cell Leakproof Flashlight Battery" for size comparison. The one that powers the extended version is the one on the very left!

29954384450_a6246e74f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
George, looks nice but my first thoughts are that it's just too long. I would think that 1 battery or at most 2. Will comment more later. Nice machining though.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Gogo gadget extendo tubes. Very attractive though,but notsure if I would care for that length either.

George, looks nice but my first thoughts are that it's just too long. I would think that 1 battery or at most 2. Will comment more later. Nice machining though.

Thank You Mike, for your feedback, I value yours and all other opinions. It is long, but it feels great in the hand...if you consider it as a penlight, it seem to have the right proportions. You know I like creating unconventional designs, some of them just as an experiment. If I had an option to use a single lithium rechargeable with the same diameter, the light would be much shorter...unfortunately I can't seem to find one with a diameter that is smaller than the Nucleus, with enough capacity that I would consider for this upgrade. Even these batteries I'm on the fence with as far as run-time, so it might have to be shelved until a sufficient battery is available. I might send it to you to play around with for a little and see what you think about the hands on experience. Also, there will be a few more designs introduced in the next few months!

Gogo gadget extendo tubes. Very attractive though,but notsure if I would care for that length either.

Thanks Skeeterg, I appriciate your feedback!

I'd like to take this opportunity, to ask you guys, and all others interested in my work: What Battery/Emitter would you be interested seeing in the future? I'm open to all ideas, even the crazy ones:)

Last edited:
Thank You Mike, for your feedback, I value yours and all other opinions. It is long, but it feels great in the hand...if you consider it as a penlight, it seem to have the right proportions. You know I like creating unconventional designs, some of them just as an experiment. If I had an option to use a single lithium rechargeable with the same diameter, the light would be much shorter...unfortunately I can't seem to find one with a diameter that is smaller than the Nucleus, with enough capacity that I would consider for this upgrade. Even these batteries I'm on the fence with as far as run-time, so it might have to be shelved until a sufficient battery is available. I might send it to you to play around with for a little and see what you think about the hands on experience. Also, there will be a few more designs introduced in the next few months!

Thanks Skeeterg, I appriciate your feedback!

I'd like to take this opportunity, to ask you guys, and all others interested in my work: What Battery/Emitter would you be interested seeing in the future? I'm open to all ideas, even the crazy ones:)

George, I would welcome the opportunity to "test" the extension tube and would gladly provide my unbiased thoughts.

Most likely, this add-on will be shelved, due to the fact that I'm not completely satisfied with the current run-time. I'm not asking you to do any kind of review, I just thought you might enjoy playing around with it for a couple of days:) I appreciate the offer though, and I'm sure there will be other prototypes, where I will ask you about your unbiased opinion before production begins.

Most likely, this add-on will be shelved, due to the fact that I'm not completely satisfied with the current run-time. I'm not asking you to do any kind of review, I just thought you might enjoy playing around with it for a couple of days:) I appreciate the offer though, and I'm sure there will be other prototypes, where I will ask you about your unbiased opinion before production begins.

No worries George, I can play too. Let me know if I can help or play in any way!

phosphor22

Enlightened
This is a unique and elegant long light, George - the different color combinations are fun to see.

As for your question regarding batteries/emitters that some might want to see: I'd love to see a nicely designed compact AA or AAA with Nichia 219b 4000K (and to add more detail, a very low low around .5 lumens would be good).

Looking forward to seeing the Nucleus in copper and other materials!

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very unique twist on a old design. Quite refreshing to say the least. First thoughts: killer looks, great idea, love all the options, pocket clip, rolling off desk, possibly slick in hands, QTC wearing out prematurely, balance. With a few tweaks, I would likely be a buyer.
Nice work, thank you for sharing.

Very unique twist on a old design. Quite refreshing to say the least. First thoughts: killer looks, great idea, love all the options, pocket clip, rolling off desk, possibly slick in hands, QTC wearing out prematurely, balance. With a few tweaks, I would likely be a buyer.
Nice work, thank you for sharing.

Thank You, for the kind words Sr8stroke! I'm guessing by "old design" you mean pen-lights, which have been around for a very long time. Thank you for the very good and valid points about possible issues/features needed to be added or changed. Ideally I'd love to design a really small driver for it, but I'm not even sure, if it can be done on an 8mm footprint pcb. A resistor could be added, but it would mean one brightness level only. As far as pocket clip, yes it absolutely needs one. Surprisingly, it is not slick in hands due to the way it's being held, not in the palm, but rather between fingers, like a pen. As far as the QTC, I will have to see if there is any other option to add control. Thanks for the response and taking the time to give it some thought!

helios123

Enlightened
I'd love to see an AAA tube for the Nucleus! That being said though, I think the body would definitely be wider than the head? Would be interesting to see.

Glenn

Last edited:

phosphor22

Enlightened
I'd love to see an AAA tube for the Nucleus! That being said though, I think the body would definitely be wider than the head? Would be interesting to see.

Glenn

Yes - the battery itself is a little wider than the Nucleus... so that would indeed be unusual in terms of proportion.
I would love to see an AAA battery light from George!

I have a few ideas to make it look good even with the larger diameter battery tube....we'll see what comes out of the lathe..:)

Glenn

loather

Newly Enlightened
Me too - I'm a big fan of AAA lights (both 1- and 2-cell). I'd like to take my hand at designing the electronics to go into one, honestly.

Latest posts