Funny short story, automotive light related.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
If anyone has visited the searchlight forum above, you might have noticed I own a U.S. military VSS-1 and a VSS-3. These things are beyond monster lights. Anyway, the recently closed thread here about the guy wanting to goof around with his motorcycle's tail-light reminded me of one of my searchlights.
On my VSS-1, which is mounted on a military trailer (posting photos are WAY beyond my technical capabilities) the light is on a mount that allows the light to traverse up and down quite a bit, as well as side to side. On the front of the trailer is what's known as an MEP unit (military term for a gas powered portable generator) that actually powers the light (28VDC at over 100 amps) in addition to a battery box out of a 2 1/2 ton GI truck with two batteries, and finally the light itself. As the light sits for traveling, it faces backwards. The glass lens on the searchlight is at least 24" x18" (or so).
Here's the funny part. The entire trailer is restored to original military specs, with one minor exception: I had a small sign printed in bright orange stating "Please dim your headlights!" and stuck it on the light.

Never had anyone forget to dim them from coming up from behind.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't care who you are, that stuff's funny!

So, a ~3kw light. What is its technology? Carbon arc, HID, something else?

fastgun

Enlightened
Search
AN/Vss-1 Searchlight on this website

Last edited: