NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olight R50 Seeker Copper ... Limited Edition

Default Re: Olight R50 Seeker Copper ... Limited Edition

Just a quick question.

I have worked around copper pipe a bit and witnessed that it is quite soft and doesn't wear well, dings and scratches easily. Is this the case with copper lights or are they an entirely different beast?
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA, E01
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Naturally Copper is a soft metal so there is no real way to get around that. We have dropped the various copper lights that we make several times and it doesn't show much wear at all. We can easily say as a light, it is just as durable as the aluminum and titanium lights that we make. Luckily they get darker and patina over time which does a really great job at hiding any scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Just a quick question.

I have worked around copper pipe a bit and witnessed that it is quite soft and doesn't wear well, dings and scratches easily. Is this the case with copper lights or are they an entirely different beast?

Unfortunately this is an Olight USA exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Seeing in the banner, Olight has on CPF, this one is limited to 999 pieces.
    Wonder if I'll see one over here, or that this will be a America only light.

Very cool forced patina! The R50 CU is a USA exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by weklund View Post
    I would send Olight an email regarding European availability: kontakt@olightgermany.de

I am really looking forward to this one. Time to boil some eggs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by maukka View Post
    Just a note, you can physically lock out the R50-Cu by opening the tailcap even a tiny bit.
    Really! That's great news, but how is that possible? Clear anodizing of the threads? The body is not an electrical conductor? Maybe only works with Olight Battery? I can't wait to investigate if you don't have the answer? That was one of my beefs, but given that it's an insane weight I recognized it as more of a show piece, but you never know...

Works with any battery. The body is conductive, but the negative tailcap terminal is insulated from the body. Instead, there's a steel ring down below in the tailcap that connects to the body and the terminal when screwed in tight. Smart engineering.

Flashaholic*

Thanks! That is great. I'm very happy to see they took the time to engineer this. Olight has moved up from one of the bottom companies on my flashlight list to a very reasonable position with some of their offerings over the last couple of years.

We really appreciate the feedback. We have found our "groove" and are coming out with consistent and refined products.

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    Thanks! That is great. I'm very happy to see they took the time to engineer this. Olight has moved up from one of the bottom companies on my flashlight list to a very reasonable position with some of their offerings over the last couple of years.

Last edited by Olightworld; 10-31-2016 at 08:47 AM.

It has a normal lockout as well. Just hold the switch from off past the moonlight mode and it will lockout. When you try to use the light, the switch will turn red and it will not work until you hold down the switch again to exit lockout mode.

Quote Originally Posted by maukka View Post
    Just a note, you can physically lock out the R50-Cu by opening the tailcap even a tiny bit.

No we do not do limited edition versions of the magnetic charging lights.

Quote Originally Posted by niktak11 View Post
    And then the R50 Pro Copper version will come out...

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by Olightworld View Post
    No we do not do limited edition versions of the magnetic charging lights.
    Wasn't the i7R EOS Ti with the white charging dock a limited edition?

Yes absolutely. Any flashlight that we make out of Copper or Titanium is a limited production run.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIntruder View Post
    Wasn't the i7R EOS Ti with the white charging dock a limited edition?

Guys we are doing a Black Friday sale at www.olightstore.com from Nov. 24-28th. Everything 20-35% off. Some items are even 45% off. We highly suggest you check it out next weekend! Also take a look at our Facebook page. We are currently giving away an SR95S-UT ($350 flashlight).

I'm really chomping at the bit to order one of these, only thing I wish it came with a holster but I do see they are available on their website for the R50 and R50 pro. Not sure if I can convince the wife how much I really need this limited edition beauty (for my X-mas present to me from me)......LOL.
    Nitecore SRT6, Nitecore TM26(with NBP52 battery), Xtar B20 Pilot, ThruNite TN32, Rofis TR51, Fenix TK35UE, Olight SR52, Klarus RS20, Nitecore EA41, Olight S1a, Klarus G20, Olight S2 & S1A copper.

I just got this amazing and unique light and I love it!! Part super classy super high output compact XHP50 light part home meat tenderizer I believe my copy must weigh 4 pounds!! Now going through holster options. I know GG sells the holster for the R40 which I have but it is just to tight for either light the holster turns on both lights..

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    I just got this amazing and unique light and I love it!! Part super classy super high output compact XHP50 light part home meat tenderizer I believe my copy must weigh 4 pounds!! Now going through holster options. I know GG sells the holster for the R40 which I have but it is just to tight for either light the holster turns on both lights..
    Ahhh, you're killing me...lol. If you want an Olight holster, olightstore.com sells them for cheap. Here are the details, I would assume it would fit the copper version as well......

Holster built specifically for the R50, R50 Pro, and R50 Pro LE Seeker flashlights. Heavy duty hard shell structure perfect for construction and duty belt use.
    Nitecore SRT6, Nitecore TM26(with NBP52 battery), Xtar B20 Pilot, ThruNite TN32, Rofis TR51, Fenix TK35UE, Olight SR52, Klarus RS20, Nitecore EA41, Olight S1a, Klarus G20, Olight S2 & S1A copper.

Love to see an R50 in brass...

Flashaholic*

Wow, what beautiful lights. Thanks for sharing your pics, everyone.

I'm thinking of buying this light and adding it to my Olight collection. The thing is, I don't want it to tarnish. I know most people want their copper to tarnish, and even help the process along for the finish their after. I think the light, as is, new from the box looks magnificent and tarnish would only spoil it.

Is there something I could do to keep it from tarnishing? Like a protective coating I could spray or dip the copper in for a new look for life? If so I would probably by this light. I already have the R50 Pro Seeker LE and its one of my all time favorite lights. The copper version would be more of a desktop/show piece, hence wanting to keep it looking like new.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by idle View Post
    I'm thinking of buying this light and adding it to my Olight collection. The thing is, I don't want it to tarnish. I know most people want their copper to tarnish, and even help the process along for the finish their after. I think the light, as is, new from the box looks magnificent and tarnish would only spoil it.

Is there something I could do to keep it from tarnishing? Like a protective coating I could spray or dip the copper in for a new look for life? If so I would probably by this light. I already have the R50 Pro Seeker LE and its one of my all time favorite lights. The copper version would be more of a desktop/show piece, hence wanting to keep it looking like new.

Cheers
    I had the same idea. I found that some types of lacquer are made specifically for this purpose. Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing. I found a product on Amazon, description below. It is not cheap, over $40 for a standard spray can. Good luck!

Jet Spray Clear Lacquer Copper Protectant Item #150N Jet spray clear lacquer will maintain your copper weathervane or your cupola's copper roof with Jet Spray Gloss finish 75-85 sheen 13 oz can.

Quote Originally Posted by dmsoule View Post
    I had the same idea. I found that some types of lacquer are made specifically for this purpose. Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing. I found a product on Amazon, description below. It is not cheap, over $40 for a standard spray can. Good luck!

Jet Spray Clear Lacquer Copper Protectant Item #150N Jet spray clear lacquer will maintain your copper weathervane or your cupola's copper roof with Jet Spray Gloss finish 75-85 sheen 13 oz can.
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciated

I'm in Australia and Amazon won't ship Aerosol cans to my country. So I did a whole lot of searching and finally found the product you suggested being sold here in Australia. But, I'm a little confused. You stated "Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing"

Here's the link to the Amazon product you suggested - https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Lacquer.../dp/B0052ZJ4VY
    Here's the link to the product I found here in Australia - https://www.guitaraust.com.au/finish...uer-gloss.html

From what I can tell they are both the same product, ie. The label code B101 -0800 appears on both items, so I'm guessing they are same product. But on the Australian site its states "Jet Spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer - Clear Gloss finish" which you said above would accelerate tarnishing?

A bit confused, would hate to buy the wrong product and ruin a $200 dollar copper light. Yeah, that's what one of these lights cost down here in the middle of nowhere

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by idle View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciated

I'm in Australia and Amazon won't ship Aerosol cans to my country. So I did a whole lot of searching and finally found the product you suggested being sold here in Australia. But, I'm a little confused. You stated "Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing"

Here's the link to the Amazon product you suggested - https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Lacquer.../dp/B0052ZJ4VY
    Here's the link to the product I found here in Australia - https://www.guitaraust.com.au/finish...uer-gloss.html

From what I can tell they are both the same product, ie. The label code B101 -0800 appears on both items, so I'm guessing they are same product. But on the Australian site its states "Jet Spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer - Clear Gloss finish" which you said above would accelerate tarnishing?

A bit confused, would hate to buy the wrong product and ruin a $200 dollar copper light. Yeah, that's what one of these lights cost down here in the middle of nowhere

Cheers.
    Yes, that is confusing. By regular nitrocellulose lacquer, meant without any special additives. Here is some more information I found at http://www.oldcopper.org/special_top...e_finishes.php

"Lacquers used must be suitable for copper-based materials in order to inhibit tarnishing. They must be applied on surfaces that are scrupulously clean and free from oil or grease. Some lacquers, especially the basic cellulose type, allow tarnishing to take place under the surface of the coating. Care should be taken to select lacquers designated by the manufacturers as suitable for use on copper, brass and other copper alloys that include a tarnish inhibitor such as benzotriazole or suitable alternative in their composition."

I suggest reaching out to a jeweler or a finishing supplier to to make certain you get the right product. Or experiment with some copper pipe. I have experience with lacquers in woodworking but am far outside of my expertise here.

Here is another source, which recommends acrylic lacquer. http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...-finish-copper

If anyone is willing to sell or trade their copper r50, please PM me.
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    If anyone is willing to sell or trade their copper r50, please PM me.
    hm how much u willing to pay?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12