Maglite Flood Reflector

Tribull

Enlightened
Hey all, I have a 2c ican maglite that I would like to make pure flood. Does anyone know of a reflector that would achieve that? I have a 74 lumen led in it if that matters. My search netted older results.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Frost that sucker.

You can get lenses at flashlight lens .com for cheap and experiment.
He has one called accrylite that really cleans up the Magbeam ugliness while hardly affecting throw. But you say you want flood....

I had some $5 lights that had nichia bulbs and on the wall the beam looked like a fried egg with a broken yoke. It was awful!
I had 2 of them. I took a scotch brite pad to one and did side to side X patterns to one. It ended up looking like a fried egg with a broken yoke and a million tic-tac-toe patterns. So I twisted the pad in a circle and viola... looked great.
The next one I swirled one swipe at a time until I had reached a compromise of that awful yellow surrounding the spot being 99% gone but still having some throw left.

Before

Left is before, right is after.

The left was the second T&E to a compromise of better beam with remaining throw. Right one was the scuffed to a flooder.

If nothing else put scotch tape over it for a temporary treatment. That way you can decide if flood with 74 lumens is what you really want.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the reflector out altogether for pure flood.

This will cause loose lens and rattle.
Also part of light will not be redirected by inside head.
If lens is plastic, another choice beside mentioned in post #2 is use very fine grit wet sand paper and gently apply inside of lens under running water. You can do this stage by stage until you get best result.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
A diffused reflector may be not what you actually look for in terms of beam shape. What you get is a large mule like spot plus a VERY faint corona from the reflector. Which is so weak compared to the spot that you may want to make the lens frosted anyway, so why bother with the reflector.

This is from my personal experience. I bought a diffused reflector for my HDS rotary and used it only once for the reason mentioned above.

Sp@rky

Newly Enlightened
That's so crazy it just might work. Sp@rky have you done this?

Yeah I have done it with a few different lights while I was trying to see if I would enjoy using a mule style light.
As fivemega says (I think what he means) in post #7 is that you will lose a fair few lumens to the inside of the head. Although you said you have an led in it which won't be quite as bad as a bulb. At 74 led lumens you probably won't like the output, unless you can get the emitter closer to the lens.
It's a 10 second job to see if you like it though. Costs nothing and is reversible obviously.

Last edited:

Tribull

Enlightened
I tried it that night actually. I like it, but like you said I'm losing a few lumens to the inside of the head. I find the lens rattle a little bothersome as well.

Sp@rky

Newly Enlightened
I tried it that night actually. I like it, but like you said I'm losing a few lumens to the inside of the head. I find the lens rattle a little bothersome as well.

The lens rattle is pretty easily fixed with an o ring or small spacer if you wanted to keep it that way.

Have you seen what's available at
thefusionlite.com? The Fusion36-M might suit what you are looking for.

Last edited:

mcorp

Enlightened
I got some DC Film (can get them from Phaserburn or vinh) and pasted them on both sides of the lens.

It might not be 100% pure flood but it was an inexpensive solution that worked well enough for me.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
With these be of any help? I've had them sitting in a drawer for 15 years.
IMG_0042_zpsnsef2wls.jpg