Genuine Philips LED H7

Status
Not open for further replies.

souperdoo

Newly Enlightened
This is great news, and I know it is true because a guy on FaceBook told me these were a genuine Philips H7, drop in, plug 'n play LED retrofit that is fully DOT approved retrofit. I challenged him on it and he was steadfast that it was legal, not made in China, and DOT approved. Oh, be still my fleeting heart.

And 4000 lumens EACH, and TOTALLY street legal.

Near and dear to my heart, because it is marketed right at the KLR650 market. Link available, if it is OK to post one I will.

I weep. And gnash my teeth.

Tom

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
This is great news, and I know it is true because a guy on FaceBook told me

When you say something like that, it's best to put in a little smiley face, like this :) because even if you say something completely funny like "I know it's true because I heard it on Facebook", there are going to be those who don't pick up on your sarcasm and think you're being serious.

For the benefit of those who don't get the intended sarcasm:

these were a genuine Philips H7, drop in, plug 'n play LED retrofit that is fully DOT approved

Of course there is no such thing. Not only is there nothing in the entire world of vehicle equipment that is "DOT approved" because the DOT does not grant or withhold approval, but there is also no such thing as a legal drop-in LED retrofit for a halogen bulb. There can't be, either technically or legally. Technically because it is not possible at this time to arrange LEDs in such a manner that they exactly duplicate the light output pattern of a filament, and legally because even if you could work a magic trick and fix the technical problem, such an "LED bulb" fails to meet the physical requirements in the regulations.

I challenged him on it and he was steadfast that it was legal

Of course he did! But nope.

not made in China

Just about all of Philips' vehicle LED products are made in China.

and DOT approved.

Nope.

And 4000 lumens EACH, and TOTALLY street legal.

No. An H7 is permitted to produce a maximum of 1512 lumens at 12.8v. So here's yet another way this fictional product is not as claimed.

I weep. And gnash my teeth.

And you spin a very good yarn. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.