Automotive LED bulb swap and theater dimming?

AGrayson84

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 Lincoln Navigator that has a theater dimming style circuit when the overhead interior lights come on and go off. My past experience with this years ago is that LED's flicker at very low voltages, such as the dimmest of the stages of the lights illuminating or turning off.

I know LED technology has only gotten better over the years, and I was wondering if there is any way these days to use LED's on this style circuit without the flickering? Is there a component I can add, or a particular type of LED (ie: a CAN-BUS style?) that I can implement to retain the theater dimming, or is this still not an option at this point in time?? Thanks!!!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's not LED technology that causes the flickering, it's how the theater-type dimming is achieved: the effective voltage to the lamp isn't ramped down by increasing resistance, it's ramped down by PWM, pulse width modulation. You don't see the pulses in a filament bulb for the same reason filament bulbs don't flicker on 60Hz house current: the filament changes temperature slower than the pulse rate.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You may be able to add a capacitor in the midst to help smooth out the PWM but getting the right value would be the trick.

Magio

Enlightened
Have you actually tried installing LED's in your interior lights to see what would happen? I have LED interior lights in my 99 accord and the theater dimming works perfectly fine. There is no flickering as the LED's dim atleast to the point of being noticable.

nixternal

Newly Enlightened
I just finished swapping out the dome bulbs in my car to LED panels, just some cheap ones for the time being from Amazon (Cute something). My car also dims to off and I noticed they dim a little & then you will notice a little flicker right at the end. Though, I really had to look for it when I noticed it. My domes dim fast enough though that you probably don't notice it as much.