Disassembly of USB charged batteries

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Disassembly of USB charged batteries[/SIZE]

DSC_6927.jpg

I have reviewed these two batteries and wanted to see how the electronic was made. I expected them to be about the same inside, except Lumitop must have two charge chips (There is a jump on the usb charge curve) and MecArmy must have one.

DSC_6894.jpg

The usb charge circuit and protection is placed at the top of the battery.

[SIZE=+3]Lumimtop[/SIZE]

DSC_6896.jpg

DSC_6897.jpg

First step is to get rid of the wrapper.

DSC_6898.jpg

The cell inside is without any wrapper, this means the battery has slightly less diameter.

DSC_6900.jpg
DSC_6901.jpg

The backend of the battery has a extra metal plate, this makes the battery more robust for tail springs.

DSC_6899.jpg
DSC_6902.jpg

The front is an extra metal top with the electronic inside.

DSC_6903.jpg
DSC_6904.jpg

There is two connection with flat metal strips between the battery and the top (No surprise). The electronic can be pushed out of the metal top (More or less).
The shrink wrap helps with holding the top in place, when I had cut it the top was fairly easy to remove.

DSC_6905.jpg

DSC_6906.jpg

The top has the circuit board and a piece of plastic to keep the circuit board in place.

There is 5 chips on the circuit board. Two 57b3 (TP4057) charger chips and 3 CT2105 protection chips.
The charge chip has a 2400ohm resistor, this gives 0.41A charge current for each.
Each protection chip is rated for 3A at 25°C, it has an over temperature shutdown at 120° (Very nice).

DSC_6910.jpg

The led is not aimed out the hole, but up from the circuit board, i.e. the light seen in the hole is the reflection from the black plastic.

DSC_6913.jpg

With the circuit free I did some measurement:

• Circuit battery discharge current at 4.2V is 5.7uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 3.2V is 5.5uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 2.8V is 5.5uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 2.4V is below 0.01uA (Overdischarge protection tripped)

[SIZE=+3]MecArmy[/SIZE]

DSC_6895.jpg

The MecArmy gets the same treadment.

DSC_6914.jpg

Here the original NCR18650B wrapper has not been removed, making the battery slightly thicker.

DSC_6915.jpg

And there is no protection metal place at the bottom, making the battery slightly shorter.

DSC_6916.jpg
DSC_6917.jpg

The top looks the same.

DSC_6919.jpg
DSC_6921.jpg

This time I could push the circuit board out.

DSC_6920.jpg

The top part of the original wrapper has been removed.
The outer ring is minus and the center is plus, any short between is very bad. When assembling these batteries they must be very careful with the plus metal strip.

DSC_6922.jpg

DSC_6923.jpg

The metal top and the plastic piece looks exactly the same as above.

This circuit board only has one charge chip and 3 protection chips, both are same type as above.
The charger chip has a 1800ohms resistor, making the charge current 0.55A

DSC_6929.jpg

The top was rather difficult to remove, it looks like it was soldered to the circuit board.

DSC_6926.jpg

With the circuit free I did some measurement:

• Circuit battery discharge current at 4.2V is 5.6uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 3.2V is 5.3uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 2.8V is 5.2uA
  • Circuit battery discharge current at 2.4V is below 0.01uA (Overdischarge protection tripped)

[SIZE=+3]Conclusion[/SIZE]

The protection circuit is one chip, not a chip and one or more external dual mosfets, it makes the circuit slightly more compact. It would probably be better to use white plastic for the insert, instead of black, it would have made the leds brighter when looking into the two holes.
The Lumintop with the two charge chips charges faster and will also last better in light with a strong tail spring.

Both batteries looks well constructed and the low discharge current will not affect the lifetime.

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

Lumintop review MecArmy review

The calculated charge currents do not exactly match the measured values, this is due to tolerances in the chip and on the resistors.

A look inside some 18650 cells:
Disassembly of UltraFire 9900mAh 18650 battery
Disassembly of some UltraFire batteries
Disassembly of cheap 18650 battery

The protection with a protection chip and external mosfet transistor can be seen here:
The Anatomy of a bottom Protected LiIon Battery

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Do you think the Lumintop has a slightly superior overall mechanical construction?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is Great! Thanks for the teardown. Waiting for the Lumintop to become available (at BG) and hoping in will fit in a SC62w. The parasitic drain though does mean these are not good to store for years, they should be users or topped up to storage voltage. I like these for single cell EDC lights for people not really familiar with 18650 cells and don't want to have to have a charger for them. Of course a light with a build-in charger might be better for them, but those are usually bigger lights.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The parasitic drain though does mean these are not good to store for years, they should be users or topped up to storage voltage.

The standby drain will run the battery dry in about 50 years, that is not really something to worry about, even if you store the batteries for a couple of years.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standby drain will run the battery dry in about 50 years, that is not really something to worry about, even if you store the batteries for a couple of years.
You may have a point, but from storage voltage combined with self discharge you'll drop below safe level long before 50years... but OK 2-3 years maybe you're OK so I can stock a spare if needed. Sometimes special batteries sit for a long while as the more common variety are used.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You may have a point, but from storage voltage combined with self discharge you'll drop below safe level long before 50years... but OK 2-3 years maybe you're OK so I can stock a spare if needed. Sometimes special batteries sit for a long while as the more common variety are used.

Storage level is around half charge, i.e. 20 years is acceptable (With the battery's self discharge not as much).

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I have seen a lot of laptop battery packs, genuine ones, which was never used, but protection circuit drained them down to 0.8 volts.