Lighting my home office

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
We just bought our own home and I need to light the office. The room is approximately 10' x 20' and has exposed beams in the ceiling. I want LED. I would love to hear ideas. The major issue is around the ceiling...the ceiling is solid wood planks that is also the floor upstairs, so there is no space to run wires. I have ran wire race before, so I'm leaning that way to run the wires. The beams will also stop flush mounted lights from spreading light throughout the room. I can put in track lighting, but I really want something else...

Please share your unique perspective. Thanks!

brickbat

Enlightened
Our house is built similarly. I have very few ceiling-mounted fixtures - most are pendants, and the wire to them is hidden behind matching wood races. Don't fall into the main line of thinking that seems to say the only way to light a room is a dozen can lights in the ceiling. Even if you could do that, the light just isn't that inviting, IMHO...

Generally, just avoid ceiling-mounted lights - wall-mounted sconces, table lamps, and task lighting work well. LED strip lighting is starting to be of interest to me, but last I looked I didn't see anything decent in my budget. Beware of light quality - in our home I find the high CRI LEDs (Like Cree's TW) to be OK, and generally the 80-ish CRI LEDs add a small, undesirable greenish cast to the wood. Obviously, pick your CCT carefully.

Last edited: