GX470 H11 low beams

a2K

Newly Enlightened
Hey there folks!

Long time lurker - Very infrequent poster here.

I just picked up a Lexus GX470 (2005 if that matters) and the high beams are phenomenal on it - but the low beams SUCK!

I already found this thread where it is mentioned that the Philips H11 X-tremeVision is the recommended upgrade path, but I believe that the GX uses projectors. I was wondering if it would be safe & acceptable to do a H9 retrofit to the truck. That's just a bulb base mod, right?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?402486-2005-Lexus-GX470-headlights

Also, for extra credit, does anyone know if the 2005 - 2009 GX's ever came with factory HIDs? Were the low beams any good? I bet it would be cost prohibitive, but I really don't like my wife operating these low beams. We live in a rural area, with road hazards.

The lenses are in remarkable shape for being 12 years old!

Thanks,
Max

fastgun

Enlightened
a2K, I believe that Toyota Land Cruiser had an HID option in certain trim levels.
Maybe the grill/front end shapes will allow you to go this route?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The forum search stood you in good stead, since you found that other thread. However, in that thread the H11 (well, that PARTICULAR one) was (and still is) the bulb of choice for that vehicle. Electrically and thermally, the H9 is not a "go" in the '05 GX470. It was true for that other poster's vehicle then, and it's true for yours now.

Like in the other thread, your high beams can be upgraded with these after a base trim.

And, of course, you really need your lenses to look very nearly new-- "remarkable shape for being 12 years old" could still mean the lamps are gone.

Last edited:

a2K

Newly Enlightened
Alaric,

Thanks for your time to expound additionally in the topic.

I appreciate it!

H11s it is. Maybe OEM HIDs down the road.

The lenses do look nearly new - I'm glad I mentioned that & you replied. I'm going to go look for the Toyota stamp in them. I wonder if the reason they suck so bad is some joker put some aftermarket garbage in one or both sides. The truck does have a collision history.

Thanks again

Max

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your time to expound additionally in the topic.
I rather I think I *expanded* on the topic, but even that only slightly.

I appreciate it!
You're welcome!

H11s it is. Maybe OEM HIDs down the road.
Be sure to get these, not just any H11 from any maker.
There is no HID option for that generation GX470.

The lenses do look nearly new - I'm glad I mentioned that & you replied. I'm going to go look for the Toyota stamp in them. I wonder if the reason they suck so bad is some joker put some aftermarket garbage in one or both sides. The truck does have a collision history.
You'll find Koito, NAL, or Stanley markings. (NAL is "North American Lighting", part of the Koito group.)

KXA

Newly Enlightened
I own a Toyota too. The headlights have NAL on the front, and Koito on the back. (Some Toyota vehicles have Stanley headlights, but no depo or tyco. If you see those brands on a used vehicle, run away as fast as you can!)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Tyco isn't a brand of knockoff headlamp. TYC is, and Depo, Anzo, Eagle Eye, and numerous others.

Latest posts