Malkoff        
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Foursevens Mini Mark II

A&Q Moderator

Default Re: Foursevens Mini Mark II

20 lumens in actual use doesnít appear 20 times brighter. This is one reason why many headlamps and flashlight will have a low moon light mode and then jump up much higher (on paper) to the next level. People often complain they canít see the difference between medium or high in some lights as it takes such a big increase to notice in field use. There is the exception. Some users are low level connoisseurs. But that represents a very very small market IMHO. In real use the Mini low mode of 20 or so lumens doesnít appear to much for near work. Well not to me anyways.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Good points re: Logarithmic perceived brightness, etc. To be clear, I wasnít saying that 20 lumens is too much for up close work... rather that it might *not be enough* for walking uneven terrain at night. And 250 lumens as the next mode option is kind of a big jump. It would be nice to have a mode in the middle that would run for 4+ hours or so.

I also realize that beam profile can make a big difference in perceived brightness and suitability for a given task... so my comments are speculation, since I donít own the light

Nevertheless, unless someone tells me they are using the Mini Mk II as a headlamp with great success, I will probably steer toward the stainless steel Turbo model and look elsewhere for headlamp options.

I just realised that the Mini MKII has the same TIR optics as the Olight S1 and S1 mini.

I got the Titanium version, its quite nice, but the treads are not smooth at all. The MKII turbo in aluminium is super smooth.
    I cleaned the treads, re-applied a low viscus grease with PTFE to the o-ring and a more viscus grease with PTFE to the threads. It got a bit better, but still gritty.

Will it just get better with use and time?

A&Q Moderator

The optic casts a haze of light beyond the hotpot. It's actually better than one might expect (per my eye) for near activities though its a comprise.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    I just realised that the Mini MKII has the same TIR optics as the Olight S1 and S1 mini.

I got the Titanium version, its quite nice, but the treads are not smooth at all. The MKII turbo in aluminium is super smooth.
    I cleaned the treads, re-applied a low viscus grease with PTFE to the o-ring and a more viscus grease with PTFE to the threads. It got a bit better, but still gritty.

Will it just get better with use and time?

Mine has gotten better with judicious breaking in (ever once in a while I'll twist it back and forth just for the heck of it), itís still gritty but itís easy enough to turn with generous superlubing. I doubt itíll ever be smooth though. The UI is still not totally reliable, it does skip modes still so deliberate twisting is needed. I guess Iím satisfied with it enough but itís a little bit disappointing overall even though it was on clearance ($42 combo+$10 international shipping)

Even though itís the hardest to use out of my three, the rainbow PVD finish is so pretty that itís taking first tour duty as a EDC (have the regular aluminum, and copper autumn which are the backup team).

Got one through with a nice £12 customs charge on top(£8 of that is handling) I am still waiting on a black turbo head to arrive which is CW.
    Anyway its ti and NW flavour which i am happy with!. Quite nice and easy on the eye. Programming took a little getting use to, but its simple enough. I thought it blinked out 1 to 6, then just lock in at that(on/off) from instructions. Instead it just blinked out 3 flashes, then again 3 flashes etc etc. undo/tighten then you get the next mode etc etc till desired(or how i remember it anyway).

Moon,low,med all fine but i must have seen a flicker in my eye(something must have been noticed) to get the phone out and get up close to the LED. Its not something i do, or certainly not often anyway as i see it as a pointless exercise if my eyes can not detect PWM, why go looking for it(personal opinion). Anyway its there on high of all levels, strange as would have thought detectable on lower levels if at all.........But real hard to detect, so its not a problem for me. In fact, it wont get used on high much anyway(think 15s before steps down), medium level with memory will be its most used amount. Kind of enough amount of light for most close up tasks. The high is super bright, crazy little think this mkII(i like crazy)

Threads as expected, little gritty, but can operate single handed if required. Love the design on the clip, where it fits in to the tail(cut outs)............think its some nice detail there.

The beam is just a large spot of usefulness.............i likey!
    Random pics

I think its worth about $30 , I would not be too happy if $60 tbh(then add $15 shipping and £12 customs.............well more than that, as thats based on $30, would be near a $90+ light in total!) but subjective and just my personal opinion.

I dont have much experience with 47 lights, not had that many(think this is my 2nd of soon to be 3). I like them, would like the stainless and cu versions if i ever decide to try and source some. I have seen the ss mkII on the bay, but held off so far. Not sure if to keep this as is, or go for a 219b or 219c triple and better driver.............for now will enjoy it as is i think
    Last edited by ven; 12-30-2017 at 11:05 AM.

I've been traveling in South Asia with a Mini Mk II Turbo for the past several days. I've got the high-amperage 47's rechargeable battery (with a Nitecore D2 charger), it works great and lasts a long time.

Plumbing varies considerably once you leave the U.S. and the British style light and 'boiler' switches are often well hidden in my opinion. The tailstand capability on the Mini is very handy for quick bathroom visits and finding a bottle in the host's liquor cabinet. Whenever I get well enough to drink anything stronger than bottled water that is.

Next stop I will be in a very nice downtown hotel, I'll be able to use the Mini to find all the light switches in the room. By the time I figure out the switches, it's time to leave, right?

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Default Foursevens Mini Mark II

My updated Mini Collection, including my Mini MK II updates including the Mini MK II TurboVN aka "Goliath"....
    https://i.imgur.com/VY9m0Qj.png
    https://i.imgur.com/MFIxkY3.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/dkUz4Xy.jpg
    Last edited by Crazyeddiethefirst; 01-13-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Just amazing!

Awesome family eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    My updated Mini Collection, including my Mini MK II updates including the Mini MK II TurboVN aka "Goliath"....

What good is a collection if it doesn't grow?
    - Raymond Reddington
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Can the Olight 5c 16340 be used in place of the foursevens 5c 16340? If so, will it still provide the 1,000+ lumens like the foursevens battery?

Quote Originally Posted by firsttothescene View Post
    Can the Olight 5c 16340 be used in place of the foursevens 5c 16340? If so, will it still provide the 1,000+ lumens like the foursevens battery?
    Yes and yes.

Amazon still has some of the Mini Mk II Turbo and non-Turbo lights at reasonable prices including David's beautifully packaged farewell versions in stainless steel. And they have the Olight ORB-163CO5 5C batteries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    Yes and yes.

Amazon still has some of the Mini Mk II Turbo and non-Turbo lights at reasonable prices including David's beautifully packaged farewell versions in stainless steel. And they have the Olight ORB-163CO5 5C batteries as well.
    Cool, thank you very much. I have the ss turbo arriving tomorrow.

Cool, thank you very much. I have the ss turbo arriving tomorrow.
    I got my SS Mini Turbo Mk II today, you will not be disappointed! The fit, finish and packaging are superb.

Remember, a primary 4Sevens CR123A battery is shipped inside the light, there is a tab to remove on the battery to get it to work. Also, the keychain clip is in the box, the Mini Mk II's come with the pocket clip installed.

I got my SS Mini Turbo Mk II today, you will not be disappointed! The fit, finish and packaging are superb.

Remember, a primary 4Sevens CR123A battery is shipped inside the light, there is a tab to remove on the battery to get it to work. Also, the keychain clip is in the box, the Mini Mk II's come with the pocket clip installed.
    I can't wait! In some pics I saw it appears the light is sealed in a clear bag; is that correct?

I can't wait! In some pics I saw it appears the light is sealed in a clear bag; is that correct?
    It is but it is also in a lovely cardboard box that looks very professional. Somehow the OOBE (out of box experience) really impressed me. It would make a nice gift except that I know from past experience if I give a non-flashaholic a CR123A light they will put the light in a drawer after the first battery runs down. Even if you give them extra batteries.

Speaking of battery run down, I put one of those high current Olight IMR cells in the SS and left it on high to see how it did. The light got warm as expected but throttled back down and seemed to run for almost an hour. Does the lower thermal conductivity of the steel compared to the aluminum alloy heat the light faster and it thermally throttles back sooner giving a longer runtime on high? I need to get out my slide rule and see if the volumetric heat capacity is a factor.

I know what you mean about giving a non flashaholic a cr123 light. I gave a buddy a nice thunder grey s mini last year and he never used it again, as far as I know, after the first battery died.

Got the stainless turbo today and all I can say is WOW; it is a true little gem!

Now that Prometheus Lights has been announced as the new owner of the 4Sevens/FourSevens brand, it looks like the Mini Mk II and MK II Turbo will soon go back into production:

Product Roadmap & Changes

• We will be rolling out various Foursevens lights over time. Those products will not be supported by warranty until we begin manufacturing them.
    • The best way to keep up with production is to join the Prometheus mailing list. You can use the "connect" box at the bottom of the page to submit your email address.
    • I do not (and will not) estimate release dates so please donít email us and ask. That just means we are spending time answering emails instead of doing the work it takes to get lights into production.
    • When Prometheus starts up production on Foursevens lights, there will be some changes and upgrades to the global product lines including a different coating process (no more anodize), changes to UI, a minimum of 75 CRI for all lights, some High CRI options, improved pocket clips, and invisible PWM on Preons.
    • Short Term Roll Out:
      • Mini MK II
      • MKII Turbo
      • Preon P1
      • Preon P2
    More of the FourSevens Roadmap here: https://darksucks.com/pages/foursevens-roadmap

Got the stainless turbo today and all I can say is WOW; it is a true little gem!

I obviously agree. The mirror SS finish, tight but smooth threads and the useful modes really impress me.

From where may I ask? I just discovered the MKII Mini and high discharge rcr123A batteries now that they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    The Olight S Mini is 2.15"
    I don't know the dimensions of the Mark II but it looks similar to the size of the 1st gen. Maybe a tad shorter in the head, so it could be shorter than the S Mini.
    But no clicky

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    From where may I ask? I just discovered the MKII Mini and high discharge rcr123A batteries now that they're gone.
    There is a seller on Amazon with FOURSEVENSô in the name that has the SS Mk II's turbo and non-turbo in stock at a very good price.

The Olight ORB-163C05 batteries appear to be functionally equivalent to the discontinued 4Sevens 5C protected high current IMR cells from my testing.

There is a seller on Amazon with FOURSEVENSô in the name that has the SS Mk II's turbo and non-turbo in stock at a very good price.

The Olight ORB-163C05 batteries appear to be functionally equivalent to the discontinued 4Sevens 5C protected high current IMR cells from my testing.

Thanks! Too bad they don't have the combo pkg on Amazon

A&Q Moderator

That same ebay seller (known ex employee of 4/7) is now selling the 4/7 16340 5C battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    That same ebay seller (known ex employee of 4/7) is now selling the 4/7 16340 5C battery.
    Shipping is pretty expensive though. Wish I bought some when foursevens sold them with free shipping!

A&Q Moderator

Shipping is pretty expensive though. Wish I bought some when foursevens sold them with free shipping!
    Yea. I noticed that. I went on a mini MK2 rampage near the end so got enough and a bunch of those UC chargers as well which are being spread thought my preps and hiking stuff. Actually have one of the 4/7s batteries in an AT C1 headlamp as looking to run it down for some gear testing. I found my Copper mini MK2.... again! LOL!

Check Amazon for the Olight ORB-163C05 version of the 5C battery. One of the sellers has two for $14.99, free shipping. These batteries have the same specs as the 4Sevens high discharge cells and David was with both companies in times past.

Check Amazon for the Olight ORB-163C05 version of the 5C battery. One of the sellers has two for $14.99, free shipping. These batteries have the same specs as the 4Sevens high discharge cells and David was with both companies in times past.
    Thanks. Duly noted. Surprisingly I can't find any authoritative reviews but I know your tests show them to be good batteries.

I couldn't resist. I bought the foursevens IMR rcr123A batteries in ebay and just snared the Stainless Steel Mini MarkII Turbo on Amazon. No shipping charge so only $40. It will actually be my only stainless steel flashlight. I usually don't like the lower heat conductivity and additional weight but the looks alone got me.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast