This is the problem

Sadden

Enlightened
And this is what i put up with every day up here. The business has chosen to remove many posts from the previous few days containing factual information.

Last edited:

fastgun

Enlightened
In the OP's link, I noticed that nobody answered the question posted by the person named David Chan. He asked about approval by a DOT. This is a great question.
While the United States Federal DOT does not approve anything, many State DOT's do indeed approve specific brands and models of vehicle lighting equipment.
Sometimes this is applicable for commercial carriers and or vehicles used on State projects but other times it is not.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
State government agencies can be as brand/model-specific as they want when they are specifying and opening bids for the vehicles they purchase and own. However, state governments are not legally able to approve or disapprove, require or prohibit equipment or design features on vehicles they don't own, if that equipment or design feature is subject to a Federal standard. Any such approval/disapproval/requirement/prohibition is legally null and void because of the Federal preemption.

State governments can regulate usage of equipment, however. They have the authority to say when high beam headlamps may be used, when low beams must be used, etc. And state governments can regulate equipment that isn't subject to Federal standards -- for example, a state could decide fog lamps may not be used on public roads, period.

But any state list of "approved" turn signals, headlamps, brake lights, or whatever isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It is of zero legal weight.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the OP's link, I noticed that nobody answered the question posted by the person named David Chan.
Someone did, by stating there's no such thing as DOT approval (and that the SAE is not a regulatory agency).

While the United States Federal DOT does not approve anything, many State DOT's do indeed approve specific brands and models of vehicle lighting equipment.
For the vehicles owned and operated by the State, sure. But not for Joe Driver.

Sometimes this is applicable for commercial carriers and or vehicles used on State projects but other times it is not.
For State-owned vehicles only. Federal preëmption and all that.

Unfortunately, through misinformation, disinformation, and the general public's misapprehension of what is what, it's harder for the general public to figure out that a particular company is lying about the legality of their products.

The general ignorance and hostility of FB (like someone saying "Nice attempt champ" and such) is why I'm not signed up.

Last edited:

Sadden

Enlightened
Thanks for the backup guys.

This is a business that is semi local to me. So it makes a big difference if we help educate thise who wouldnt know better.

Sadden

Enlightened
Somewhere near Grand Prairie, Alberta, Canada, it would seem, if "Powerhouse Accessories" is "semi local" to him.

Close enough:p

Just outside of GP.

See the OPs latest piece of wisdom?

"Dont need no DOT approval unless yer putting it on a semi truck".

In this case he is unfortunately semi correct. Cars and pickups around here wont get pulled over for even the most ridiculous mods. But big trucks will get their driving light wires clipped if they are uncovered and dont have dot/sae on the lense...