RECOMMENDATION: Tactical flashlight for policeman/military?

Captain_Canuck

Newly Enlightened
Hello group,

My last flashlight purchase was a maglight twenty-years ago and I have not kept up to date with the latest technology, so I am requesting recommendations.

Question #1

What is the best tactical flashlight for policeman/military without regard to price.

Question # 2

What is the best tactical flashlight for policeman/military with regard to price and quality?

Thank you in advance for your responses :)

CC

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical is an often throw about term in relation to flashlights, for me it means a momentary on in high mode and when the pressure on the switch is removed the light goes off.

To the Tacticool brigade it means lots of different levels and a flashing mode together with an aggressive looking bezel.

How do you prefer to use your light, do you prefer a side mounted switch or a tail mounted switch?

Captain_Canuck

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff or Elzetta. Bombproof and reliable.
State your needs and prefs and we'll narrow ir down for you.

P

Hello,

I am looking for a general purpose flashlight. Essentially, the same size range as my 2D-maglite flashlight. I would like one that has: (1) a strong case; (2) at least 500 lumens; and (3) waterproof. A modern flashlight with the features and qualities a policeman or military person would expect.

What type of power source are you fellows recommending for my flashlight?

Thank you,

CC :grin2:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 2D Mag sized side switch light, take a look at the Maglite ML300's (2 or 3 D cell) and ML50's (2 or 3 C cell) or the rechargeable LED Mag Charger. Streamlight also have a bunch of LED rechargeable lights with side switches (some with dual tail switches as well). Reliability and fool proof momentary function are what I look for in a "tactical" light.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CC,

I'm a retired LEO and my recommendation is the Malkoff M91T MD3.

It will run on 2 x 18500 (or 18490) rechargeable Li-ion batteries or 3 x CR123 Lithium primaries.

It has an out put of 700 lumens momentary and 600 lumens constant, it also has a TIR lens so it has a good throw on it. It's also small enough to always be on your duty belt.

It would need to be ordered with the High/Low ring so you can drop it down to 25 lumens for checking ID's etc. To activate the lower mode just turn the head slightly, that way when the head is tight it will always come on in high.

It has a collar around the tailcap switch so it won't get knocked an illuminate by accident. It is a forward clicky switch that can be used tactically by placing your whole thumb pad on the switch, as opposed to just the tip, that way pressure will illuminate it but not sufficiently to switch it on through the click of the switch.

Malkoff flashlights are durable, dependable and built like a tank to take the knocks of a working light, Malkoff also offer a lifetime warranty and their customers service is second to none. They also offer LEO's a discount.

I'm sure that Elzetta, Surefire (I have some of theirs), Pelican, Streamlight and other manufacturers will also have something that is suitable for you however I speak from experience of the Malkoff M91T MD3.

The below photos show the M91T MD3 in the centre, The others are the Hound Dog MD4 and the smaller MD2 which can have numerous drop-in's.

Malkoff%20Triple_zpse4g4hslu.jpg

Malkoff%20Lenses_zpsoezdgfcz.jpg

Captain_Canuck

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am adding the checklist. I was not aware of it before my OP.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

X I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in Canada.
X This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
X Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
X I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
X MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
X LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

Up to the size of a 2D-Maglite, but not larger.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
X I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

X I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
X I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
X I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

At least 500 Lumens

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
X Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

A beam for General Use.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
X Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
X 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
X 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
X 3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
X Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
X I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

I am flexible on this point.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
X I don't know.

IF POSSIBLE: (1) On/Off and (2) brightness adjustable and (3) narrow or widen beam.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
X Other, please specify: I am not certain; however, as indestructible as possible. What are you recommending??

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
X IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
X IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
X In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

X Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
X Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

These two features are not mandatory, but nice to have features.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone through your check list and on paper the Maglite ML300LX will probably been sufficient for your needs.

They can be picked up on eBay for under $50.

It will reduce from the initial 524 lumens to just 40 over a three hour period.

I'd prefer the Malkoff but you won't get three hours of run time, even with the MD4 body and 2 x 18650 3500mah batteries it would run for closer to two hours + than three. However it should still be within 90% of full brightness when the batteries eventually shut down.

If you are expecting a compact light to run on full power for three hours then I think you'll struggle to find it.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
I'm a police officer and based on what you've asked for, I'd recommend sticking with Maglite too. Although their old incandescent stuff is nothing by today's standards, they have finally brought out a new generation of LED models which are actually viable. The model you should look for is called the ML300L or ML300LX. The difference between the two is that the ML300L looks the same as the maglites of old whereas the LX is slightly different on the outside to make it more suitable for tactical use (matte black instead of gloss black finish, better grip knurling).

The ML300L/ML300LX comes in two versions, a 2D and a 3D. I have the 2D because it fits in my bag better but the 3D would give you about 100 more lumen and 50 metres more throw on the beam (from my memory).

This new version of Maglite has high and low power settings and they've improved the focusing so that it goes all the way from flood to throw in a quarter turn of the head and the beam is much nicer than the old incandescent version.

For reference, the old Maglite was roughly 20 lumens output. The ML300L 2D is over 500 and 3D is over 600 so quite an improvement.

Maglite did bring out several generations of LED torches before this current generation so make sure to specifically look for the ML300L/ML300LX model instead of just searching Maglite LED otherwise you may end up with one of their older ones.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuing the Mag/Malk motif.
Malkoff make Led modules for Incan Mags.
From the Malkoff site.....

This is a Drop-In LED Upgrade Conversion for the incandescent Maglite® 3-6D Size Flashlight. This dropin produces a real 325 (measured out the front) lumens in a 3-6 D Size light with alkaline batteries. The Drop-In module is constructed of CNC machined structural aircraft aluminum and has a regulated driver. Full heatsinking of the driver and LED insure that the module can, and will, run at maximum output for extended periods. The LED is a Cool White Cree XP-G2. It will easily illuminate objects at a distance of 1000+ feet and will light a 2 inch red reflector at a distance of more than 1/4 mile. If you shine someone with this at night, within a 100 ft radius, they should see spots for a good 8-10 seconds.

The module retains the focusing ability of the flashlight. It operates on 3-6 easily available D size alkaline batteries with a full output runtime of 6+ hours in a 3 D light. Each additional cell will add 2-3 more hours of full output runtime. It will continue to operate at reduced output for several more hours. The light is great for distance and spotting.

This Maglite upgrade (Maglite Dropin) was designed for rugged service from the ground up. It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil. This item is covered by our Lifetime Warranty.

I know it's not a super high output module, but output is not everything, especially when the lumens are used efficiently. Note the runtime on 3 D cells.
As Dave says the physics dictate that you're not going to find a 3 hour high output light that fits in your pocket.
I carry a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog (which does fit in a pocket) and spare 18650 (rechargeable) cells. You'll get about an hour of 900 - 650 lumens, followed by a few hours of useable light. It's a matter of moments to change the cells over, and of course, you will be carrying a backup light won't you?
P

Edit: Adventure Sport also make VERY high output Mag Modules, but you ain't gonna get the runtime.
P

Last edited:

Captain_Canuck

Newly Enlightened
I've gone through your check list and on paper the Maglite ML300LX will probably been sufficient for your needs.

They can be picked up on eBay for under $50.

It will reduce from the initial 524 lumens to just 40 over a three hour period.

I'd prefer the Malkoff but you won't get three hours of run time, even with the MD4 body and 2 x 18650 3500mah batteries it would run for closer to two hours + than three. However it should still be within 90% of full brightness when the batteries eventually shut down.

If you are expecting a compact light to run on full power for three hours then I think you'll struggle to find it.

What do you fellows think of the Maglite MAGCHARGER LED Rechargeable System? Does it fit in any 2D Maglite? How long does it last compared to regular 2D batteries?

Thank you

CC :)

arKmm

Enlightened
What do you fellows think of the Maglite MAGCHARGER LED Rechargeable System? Does it fit in any 2D Maglite? How long does it last compared to regular 2D batteries?

Thank you

The MagCharger is actually a complete torch, it's not an upgrade or something that can be added to an existing one. It's called the MagCharger because it's the only rechargeable version of the venerable large maglite ;)

The MagCharger is the same size as a 4D Maglite, but instead of running on D cells, it has a built in proprietary rechargeable battery and fits in the cradle to charge.

It has recently been updated and the latest version of the MagCharger (the one you have linked) runs on the same technology as the ML300L/ML300LX both me and Dave have mentioned, but due to it's larger battery source, it produces a higher output.

ML300L/LX 2D = 524 LUMEN / 366 METRE THROW
ML300L/LX 3D = 625 LUMEN / 406 METRE THROW
ML300L MAGCHARGER = 643 LUMEN / 407 METRE THROW

Neither of us initially recommended it but it's definitely a viable option and if you don't mind the extra length/weight, then I'd definitely go for it over the standard ones, as then you don't have to keep buying D cell batteries, and you can keep the torch topped up either charging it at home or in the car.

As with the other maglites, there has been several generations of the magcharger, so when you purchase, make sure you are definitely buying the current generation. If you buy it straight from Maglite's website you'll definitely get the newest one.

The run-time will be about the same as the D-cell versions, but whereas with those you'd always be wondering whether you'd need to change the batteries or being concerned about running it too low, because you've got the simple recharge option, you can just keep topping it up when you're in the car between calls if you've managed to run it down too far (unlikely!). I'm sure it'd last long enough for a shift. I don't think I've ever had mine on for more than 30 minutes of a shift cumulatively so I'm sure a 4 hour run time will do you fine! You can buy spare battery packs though if you wanted to keep a second one charged in your kit bag as a backup.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google 'led-resource rechargeable led flashlight comparison'.

Have a read through the information, it's not been updated for a few years but most of the Flashlight featured are still current models.

Captain_Canuck

Newly Enlightened
Hi CC,

I'm a retired LEO and my recommendation is the Malkoff M91T MD3.

It will run on 2 x 18500 (or 18490) rechargeable Li-ion batteries or 3 x CR123 Lithium primaries.

What kind of rechargeable Li-ion batteries would I buy and how many? Do you have a link to the one's you are recommending?

Thank you,

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave mentions 18500 Li-ion cells. 18500 denotes the size of the cell
18 for 18mm diameter and 50 for 50mm length and the 0 for round.
I would recommend you get "protected" cells as these will stop you over or undercharging them.
Only buy decent cells from decent manufacturers like AW, Efest, Keepoper, Sanyo, Panasonic and others. NEVER buy a cell that ends in *fire unless it's Surefire.
You will also need a charger, look at Xtar, Nitecore and others.
It's worth looking at the various threads on CPF regarding cells and chargers.
I think if you ask him, Gene will sell you a charger and cells to go with the light.
The one that Dave recommended also runs on three disposable CR123 cells which is always handy, if eventually expensive. Although I hear that some departments supply these to Officers.
Gene and Cathy Malkoff are endlessly helpful, a call to them will answer all your worries and they'll make sure you get what you want rather than what they want to sell you. We all trust them implicitly. And they answer the phone and don't keep you hanging on. This is the reason we are recommending them so strongly.

I posted a thing about led modules for Maglites at the same time as you so you may have missed it, just look up the thread a bit.
P

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify that the Li-ion rechargeables are 18500 (not 18550), I use the KeepPower 1700mah versions which are a reliable brand. You will require two to run the M91T with the MD3 body but that will probably last between 1 and 1 1/2 hours on high. The MD4 body will take 2 x 18650's (3500mah) which should give you a run time of between 2 and 3 hours.

Don't forget if you want to be able to use a lower setting, for checking ID's etc, you'll need the optional High/Low ring.

Contact them during the week and they'll advise you of LEO discount.

I forgot to add that the length of the M91T with the MD4 body is 7 3/4", if you are happy with the extra length that would double your runtime over the MD3. The M91T MD4 isn't listed on the Malkoff site so you need to speak with them direct.

Last edited: