Finally got around to installing lights in all of the holes in my bumper.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Nothing special. Just Amazon.com lights that were all on sale for about 20 bucks each. They are sturdy, waterproof (as well as my connections) and most importantly "working." (I have no skills.) lol

They aren't the same tint, but I don't really care. I can't see them from the driver's seat and they sure do light up the trails. :)

I am very considerate on the road. My main headlights are the old school, dim ones (almost yellow in comparison) and I have them aimed down because I lifted the truck a bit.
The little light over the driver seat is a 1400 lumen flashlight I just stuck over the visor for fun. :)
Before:
qMMCpdQ.jpg

After:
sOrhhL0.jpg

Well crap! I just realized a couple of my roof lamps are out! Off to Oh Oh Oh Oh Rieleys.... Auto parts.

Happy election day!

Last edited by a moderator:

LyLu

Newly Enlightened
Oh!
That's a lot of lights. Is it legal to have so many different lights in the US?
Anyways, the setup looks nice, even with some not working, hehe...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main headlights are the old school, dim ones (almost yellow in comparison) and I have them aimed down because I lifted the truck a bit.
Be sure to aim them correctly, not just "down". Depending on the height of the headlamps' centers, there is a slight difference in declension angle and depending on headlamp design (VOL vs VOR vs VO). More information is here.

It's likely the giant "auxiliary bumper" you've attached is blocking some of the light from your headlamps, and it may also be true that you're going to get glare from it as your own headlamps reflect off of it back to you. In effect, that bumper may have rendered your required lighting inoperative.

I just realized a couple of my roof lamps are out!
I do monthly walkarounds on my cars-- helps prevent embarassing pics of burned out lamps, as well as traffic stops, or worse yet, accidents.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it legal to have so many different lights in the US?
That's more of a per-state thing. States particularly will regulate the use of additional lighting, if not the presence of additional lighting beyond a particular limit.

For this particular vehicle, turning all those lights on at once on the road would be quite obnoxious and unsafe. For "the trails", the extra lighting can help safely navigate the hazards of unmaintained private roads (assuming the driver keeps their wits about themselves and don't use the extra lighting as a substitute for reasonable speeds).

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
I am bi-coastal and California is a bit more strict than Georgia (the two states in which I reside.) The bumper had attachment points at each of the locations that you see lights. I just filled them, didn't add to them, so I doubt any officer would have any problem with them unless I was using them improperly on the public roads. (which I don't do.)

There are most definitely laws to consider. Some states have a certain number of lights you can add, some states don't want them over a certain height on the vehicle (like those long, rectangular light bars on the roof, etc.) Mostly? Just be considerate and nobody will care. I've had other 4WD vehicles with lights and never had a problem. I live in the country in both states and they really help with visibility on back roads late at night.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
That's more of a per-state thing. States particularly will regulate the use of additional lighting, if not the presence of additional lighting beyond a particular limit.

For this particular vehicle, turning all those lights on at once on the road would be quite obnoxious and unsafe. For "the trails", the extra lighting can help safely navigate the hazards of unmaintained private roads (assuming the driver keeps their wits about themselves and don't use the extra lighting as a substitute for reasonable speeds).
Correct. I drive like an old man. I just use them to find back woods camping sites in the mountains/deserts mostly. They are kind of like 4wd. You hardly ever need it, but it comes in handy at times. Besides, it's more fun to stick a good flashlight out the window to me. :)

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Be sure to aim them correctly, not just "down". Depending on the height of the headlamps' centers, there is a slight difference in declension angle and depending on headlamp design (VOL vs VOR vs VO). More information is here.

It's likely the giant "auxiliary bumper" you've attached is blocking some of the light from your headlamps, and it may also be true that you're going to get glare from it as your own headlamps reflect off of it back to you. In effect, that bumper may have rendered your required lighting inoperative.

I do monthly walkarounds on my cars-- helps prevent embarassing pics of burned out lamps, as well as traffic stops, or worse yet, accidents.
Will do. Thx.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For no particular cause, some time ago I was wondering about the lights on my car. Not even really intentionally researching or anything, I happened across instructive posts by Virgil and Alaric Darkonville. Now night driving is a thing of the past; whatever it is will keep until morning. We think it's a lot safer for everyone now.

Thanks for posting pics! looks great!